Top kits

Bingo

When fishing ive noticed some people have up to six top kits to hand when fishing, are they set up to suit a paticular bait or a particular style of fishing, interested to find out how people fish theres.cheers

tedstriker

will be different baits, different depths, i dont match fish so i tend to just setup a margin kit, one for fishing on the deck, one for paste(if i decide to fish paste) and one shallow, you will find many match anglers who fish shallow will have 3 or more kits set and different depths

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
I sometimes have 8, 9 maybe more. As Ted says some will be multiple shallow rigs ( 6"/12"/18" deep) but I also add in some "redundancy" so i might have 2 identical margin rigs set up so that I can carry on quickly if a rig gets trashed. Last week i missed out winning an eve match by 5lb when bagging and trashed my only margin rig. The time taken to retrieve a rig from the box, attach and re-plumb defo cost me the one fish i needed !

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Add into that the changes of conditions, including light, so you might see the same rig, same float, but different coloured bristles.

Danmancity

Fishing my local snake lake will involve A margin Rig, A short line rig, A light Mudline rig, sometimes a heavy mudline rig and at least 1 shallow/mugging rig. So 5 is normal for me I guess?

Open Water ill have margin, short, long and a couple shallow

Simon R

Site Supporter
Some people just do it for show
"Look at how many top-kits I've got" :p
Set too many up and you end up just confusing yourself

I've got about seven I think but will rarely set up more than five.
Margin rig, 2+2, two longer rigs for 8-13m+ (generally one for small baits, one foe larger) and a shallow rig that will double for mugging - personally can't see the point in having multiple shallow rigs set up at different depths as I'll just be sliding the float up and down to alter the depth anyway. Lot quicker to slide the float up six inches than reach for another rig.

Simon

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
I used to try and cover all eventualities and would have anything up to 8 top kits on the roost and, invariably, I would pack up at the end with 4 or 5 of them untried. I now just have 2 pairs of identical rigs (margin and main line) and it does not appear to have been detrimental to my fishing. The problem is, we have so much choice nowadays it is so easy to get carried away, a bit like the old video rental shops; I would go to fetch a film for us to watch and would come home with 3 or 4 just in case we didn't like choice number 1.

AdeB

I would run out of setting up time if I set up more than the 3 or 4 that I normally do, and be the last to pack up!

Paul22

Site Supporter
Good question.........
I set up as few as possible and keep things as simple as possible bearing in mind that suits me and my fishing......
I depends where I’m fishing but I usually have a margin rig with a number 12 or 14 elastic and line of .17 or .19 with an hook size of between 12 and 16.
I usually have some sort of shallow rig and a deck or full depth rig which I will probably start with.
I may fish paste which usually requires a big hook and heavy line so I might set a rig up for that.
If it’s a snake lake it might be just 2 margin rigs one for far bank one for near bank.
The match I fished last Thursday I only set one rig up for paste that was only a 3 hour match and I had set my stall out to fish in a particular way.
The match I fished Saturday I had a margin rig a shallow rig and a full depth rig.
If I decide to go for silvers not carp I will set a rig up for that too !
I have no problem with changing hooks or making adjustments to rigs while I’m fishing.
I also make the shallow and margin rigs up with no shot and add that on the bank and I do the same with hooks.
I used to set loads of kit up but this led to two things one was confusion!!!!!! And the other was waste or wasted line hooks shot etc.
I sometimes take out a few spare Kits and leave them blank so I can add a rig if required later in the day.
I’m no professional and like I say this works for me.
By the way I carry 8 kits
2 with number 6 elastic
3 with number 8-10
2 with number 10-12
And 2 with number 14-16
Most of the time 4 would be enough but it’s nice to have some spares 👍
Hope this helps

MrBen

Site Supporter
I would tend to set up three rigs, and having space on my roost allows me to put spare top kits with stronger and weaker elastics, so if I start to bump fish, I will go lighter, and if they are a better stamp i will change up an elastic, so rather than having to get off my box, they are just to hand.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
Some people just do it for show
"Look at how many top-kits I've got" :p
Set too many up and you end up just confusing yourself

I've got about seven I think but will rarely set up more than five.
Margin rig, 2+2, two longer rigs for 8-13m+ (generally one for small baits, one foe larger) and a shallow rig that will double for mugging - personally can't see the point in having multiple shallow rigs set up at different depths as I'll just be sliding the float up and down to alter the depth anyway. Lot quicker to slide the float up six inches than reach for another rig.

Simon
ur might be missing out simon.....often the key is keeping a really short lash and letting the fish hook themselves against the elastic, you can't achieve this if you slide an 18" shallow rig to 6"....... however i do see many who do set up loads of top kits but these are all for different lines. Not sure that is best approach, you run the risk of spreading yourself too thin.

I would like to think no ones that vain that set up top kits for the sake of it....whats the point ?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
As has been said, rigs for margin, bottom of the shelf and full depth at 10-13m gives you three topkits. Then factor in different baits requiring band or bare hook and that doubles to six. Add in a shallow rig or two and that's 8. Add possibly different weight rigs for a line and that can easily become nine or ten rigs. But you may not use all of them in the day. The point is to have them to hand for an instantaneous change should you need to. Time wasted in matches will eventually cost you. Last year at the end of a six hour match I put an 8lb fish in the net on the whistle and won by 4 pound. A wasted two minutes may have cost me that match.

On a perfect day you may need only one topkit. Those days when you get it right from the start and don't have to change for six hours. Rare as hen's teeth. So most will cover three main areas or similar as I mentioned and will swap around as bites come and go or until they find the feeding fish. On many days you may find that one spot and one bait start to dominate and you will end up concentrating on that line. But you may have to have gone through four, five or six other rigs to get to the "correct" one.

Reactions: map

Corn Master

Site Supporter
If you are lucky, 11.5m (no.8 section) 13, 14.5 and inevitably 16m will be one rig if you're not looking to fish straight 12 o'clock and can plumb around looking for same depth'ish given a inch or two over. One banded, one not.
As above - 2 rigs or nip a band for one rig
5m and deep shallow, one rig. Just nip a band
Margin - 1 rig. Again nip a band.
3 to 4 rigs in total.

Expanda

At this time of year I usually set up 4 top kits.
Margin, far bank. Black ambercore. Usually doubles for both
On the deck. Green ambercore
Paste. Black ambercore.
Shallow. Green ambercore.
Using connect-adjusts and quick change hook length swivels this covers almost everything.

slaner

Site Supporter
always double up on same rigs same depth for margin,short and long lines so minimum of 6 top kits, if I get taken in snags etc to save plumbing up again I just lay it next to same rig in roost to check the float hasn't moved and im still fishing at the depth I plumbed up at, also if I get busted I just pick up the same rig without losing any time putting a new hook length on, if im fishing a snag pit I might even set up 4 top kits for that line if I think im likely to get busted a few times, just my tuppence worth

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I should have said that what I explained is not necessarily what I do. But it explains why some anglers end up with a myriad of kits on their roost.

Bingo

After using all these top kits what do you do with the rigs considering they will have probably been shortened etc, straight back onto a winder or bin them and remake the rig.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
After using all these top kits what do you do with the rigs considering they will have probably been shortened etc, straight back onto a winder or bin them and remake the rig.
personally they go back on the winder to be used at the same/similar venues. Hook length will be changed if necessary. But from my comment, I might have
8/9 top kits set up but highly likely only 3- 4 will get used during a match, especially if its one of those better days when everything works :p