Top and bottom slider floats

Browner

Does anybody know where you can get hold of top and bottom slider floats between 2-6 gram. Thanks.

trotter2

Don't think you can buy them,but there easy to make mate
http://www.sjmwebsites.co.uk/fishing/fishingslider.html

Captain Pugwash

Ya wont catch owt sat on the settee. P.A.C Member
I have a few of these in a tackle box I acquired in what fishing situation would they be used? I'm new to the game!

Browner

Deep, slow moving rivers. Used with a stop knot and bead to determine the depth and a bulk shot with a couple of droppers nearer the hook. On the strike you hit the fish straight away without the weight or resistance of the float. Not seen or used very much these days.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Not seen any commercial versions for maybe 20 years since Ultra stopped selling them.
You could make them from balsa chubber type floats by adding a couple of side eyes if you cant find any.

blue orfe

Would a sliding waggler not be better in a slow river?
I fish the slider on the Thames to good effect.

Captain Pugwash

Looking at it,it seems to me that they both would do a similar job wouldn't they?
Possibly the waggler is just a later name for the same thing.
The commercial I fished yesterday as quite a deep drop off allegedly to 6m went off it once or twice as I was fishing the shelf with a float and heavy hook leads, but didn't plumb it so don't know exactly how deep it is. May try it next time using a slider float and a hair to bookmark some larger bait see what happens.

Total

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Browner

Does anybody know where you can get hold of top and bottom slider floats between 2-6 gram. Thanks.
These may suit your needs. Also mentioned is the Deep dock slider float depending on your specific needs.

May I suggest you phone them first to check for availability? Contact numbers on the same website.

http://www.goldmedalfloats.co.uk/sliding%2520balsa.html

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Total

Originally posted by Browner

These may suit your needs. Also mentioned is the Deep dock slider float depending on your specific needs.

May I suggest you phone them first to check for availability? Contact numbers on the same website.

http://www.goldmedalfloats.co.uk/sliding%2520balsa.html
Bought some of these floats earlier this year. Top service and help from Clive.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The difference is that you can hold back a little to improve presentation with a top and bottom slider if its carrying enough weight but you cant really hold back very well with bottom end only floats because they pull under easier.

blue orfe

You can't pull back on any slider without pulling the line up through the float eye.[:T]

Breac

Originally posted by blue orfe

You can't pull back on any slider without pulling the line up through the float eye.[:T]
This is my thought to, i did wonder if a very heavy stickfloat slider would work. But the amount you could hold back would be very limited, so i have stuck with the waggler slider.
I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has actually used a stickfloat slider about it's usefullness against the standard waggler slider.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter

You can if you are using enough weight down the line before long rods appeared we fished like that on flowing deep venues all the time.

Runcton

Benwick Sports have plenty of top and bottom slider floats. Perfect Slider Bolo, Sensas Alain and Sensas Julien. Worth a look, I would suggest either the Alain or Perfect.

rockland

I remember from past in the book by the late great Clive Smith a chapter on sliding top and bottom floats which had lengths of tubing instead of eyes to facilitate the sliding affect

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8zPcU3YMyQ

From 37 minutes there is a really informative section on double ring floats for deep river fishing.

Dslayer

dslayer

Dunno...
Depends on flow and the amount of shotting.

Could be that pull of water is not enough to counteract the shotting in which case float would just hold against the flow but weight would keep stop knot against float ring?

Captain Pugwash

I thought that was the idea too, that the stop knot and bulk hold against rod pressure to keep the float steady and you control the travel rate to suit river flow, if you pull line through I would think that the flow is too strong for that float and a bigger/ heavier float may be needed for that situation am I thinking along the right line here.

Last edited: