Tools insurance !!!!

Brythebagger

Site Supporter
My pal who I work with rang me this morning at 5.45, but early for him so I knew something wasn’t right.
“The vans been robbed” he said. **** sake !!
He picked me up at 6.30 and we checked what had been taken and rang the police to report it.
They called back with a crime number so we could claim on the insurance we had in place for this happening.
The call to the insurance firm didn’t go quite how I’d expected.
The call handler asked what time it had happened. Said between 10pm and 5.30am
Ahhh he says, you’re not actually covered between the hours of 9pm and 6am 😳😳
I couldn’t believe what I’d just heard !!!
I said why isn’t this stated when people take out their policies ?
He said it’s in your agreement but I told him that I was told as long as the tools are in a locked vehicle or a locked property then they’re covered.
Eventually spoke to customer services and told them I thought I’d been miss sold my policy and they’ve agreed to listen to the original phone call when I took out the insurance to see if this is the case.
If it is I may have a leg to stand on.
🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

me

its not the first time ive heard this. Another one that is common is ALL tools must be removed from the van when the vans not working so if anything stolen while the vans at home its not covered. All the info is in the terme and conditions (all that tiny small print that no one ever reads )

Brythebagger

Site Supporter
its not the first time ive heard this. Another one that is common is ALL tools must be removed from the van when the vans not working so if anything stolen while the vans at home its not covered. All the info is in the terme and conditions (all that tiny small print that no one ever reads )
I was told on the phone that the tools would be covered as long as the van was locked. I took the cover out due to a few lads I know getting robbed at a hotel we used to use a lot in London.
I wouldn’t of taken the policy had I been told that they weren’t covered through the night
Not bloody happy at the minute

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
This worried me so I double checked my van contents insurance. I’m covered 24hrs but I’m glad I checked. Hope your tools get sorted mate the robbing scum 😡

Brythebagger

Site Supporter
Thank mate. I can’t understand how a company can put an exclusion on a policy that basically renders it useless.
I’ll be kicking a right fuss up if they refuse to pay out.
Can I ask who you’re covered with as I need to obviously change mine

me

Thank mate. I can’t understand how a company can put an exclusion on a policy that basically renders it useless.
Its because they know the expense and how tools are targeted and how poor van security is
so they put in conditions so you have to protect your tools, for exmaple tools cant be left in van over night or the policy doesnt cover tools between x and x hours. Its because they know a loaded van at night is and easy target .
They dont advertise the fact that your not covered between x and x or you have to remove your tools because no one would take the cover out , it it is in there in the small print to cover them selves and they will just say well you should of read the conditions before you signed it

me

altho slightly off the subject about the claim, when getting quotes theres things that you would think would bring your quote down but instead puts it up .

They ask is the van sign written - if yes with what, trades like chippy, sparky ect the price goes up as it advertises high value tools inside, painter and decorator it comes down.

Does the van have roof racks /bars price goes up as it advertises a van is trade

does the van have internal racking, for a painter if you say no the price goes up due to spillage

Does the van have up graded locks, if yes the price goes up as it advertises theres high value stuff inside for you to put the lock on

Brythebagger

Site Supporter
Its because they know the expense and how tools are targeted and how poor van security is
so they put in conditions so you have to protect your tools, for exmaple tools cant be left in van over night or the policy doesnt cover tools between x and x hours. Its because they know a loaded van at night is and easy target .
They dont advertise the fact that your not covered between x and x or you have to remove your tools because no one would take the cover out , it it is in there in the small print to cover them selves and they will just say well you should of read the conditions before you signed it
If they don’t advertise it then it’s with holding information so therefore miss sold policy.......... at least that’s what I’m hoping 🤞🏼

spark1

Site Supporter
Getting a 14 day cooling off period gives the buyer plenty of time to read the policy in full I would of thought.

Reactions: me

Swim Jim

Site Supporter
How many people actually do it tho
I agree that’s why I phoned them this morning. I had the policy and small print emailed to me when I took out the insurance. Did I read it 🤔😂 no. I was surprised the girl took the time to dig out the point of detail and not just tell me we forwarded the details to you 3 yrs ago.

Brythebagger

Site Supporter
I agree that’s why I phoned them this morning. I had the policy and small print emailed to me when I took out the insurance. Did I read it 🤔😂 no. I was surprised the girl took the time to dig out the point of detail and not just tell me we forwarded the details to you 3 yrs ago.
Think I’ll be giving them a call as the cover over got is as much use as a chocolate fire guard

spark1

Site Supporter
How many people actually do it tho
I've never insured my tools given the terms and conditions of the policies. You need Van Vaults, Security Locks, or don't leave Tools on vans. Site Boxes, Security Locks or don't leave Tools on site etc etc Then there's the Excess charges.

Swim Jim

Site Supporter
I've never insured my tools given the terms and conditions of the policies. You need Van Vaults, Security Locks, or don't leave Tools on vans. Site Boxes, Security Locks or don't leave Tools on site etc etc Then there's the Excess charges.
Totally agree fella but at the end of the day the last thing I want to do is empty my van. If my van does get turned over would I get away with this :unsure:
Full set of makita battery tools. Dewalt mitre saw. Full set of Rubi tile cutters. Diawa Airity pole for painting fascia boards over garages :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S The Club House 27
Dave The Club House 24
Wise Owl The Club House 28
B The Club House 0
Dave The Club House 2