Tommy Pickering tight lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

miker

After watching Tommy on tight lines , last Friday evening , his comments about his shorting patterns for nearly all of his rigs seem to make some sense , it differs in all the comments you read or magazine articles.???
He said that nearly all of his rigs follow this rule...

150mm hook length , then a dropper shot ' then 150mm gap to the next dropper , then 150mm gap to the final bulk shots.

He states he might lower this gap to 100mm if fishing deeper , is over 5ft.

He will use only 2 types of float , one for the summer with a thicker bristle and a slimmer type during the winter months for the f1's.

14 or 16 hook in the summer - 18 in the winter. Line follows a similar choice as well , lower breaking strain during winter but ultimately keeping it very simple.

What he did say was the most important choice on any water / time of year is the feeding pattern and choice of bait.

I really think he is talking sense, I match fish during the summer months and to be honest could be fishing the same rig on most venues , or at the very most a margin rig , which would be the same as my far side marginal rig and a down the track rig....

2 different floats , 2 rigs , all the same shorting pattern , on a 16 or 14 hook.

Keep it as simple as possible and concentrate on the feeding and hook bait.

What do you think, is Tommy talking sense...?

StuH

Yes of course, he's one of the greatest anglers ever, been at the top for over 30 years now. I shot my rigs the same but as I fish natural venues mainly the hook size and line are obviously much smaller!

scantruck1

I remember hearing somewhere that the most important part of tackle in Tommy's box is a RULER and when he coaches young children he always proviides them with a ruler to measure shot patterns hook lengths etc.
Think it was on fishermans blues a few years back when Nigel was sitting in for Keith , Tommy was a guest and they was also talking about making a DVD between them.

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
I posted this about his shotting ideas in Sept. 2011

(The spellchecker wants to put in ****ting)

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=132905&SearchTerms=rule

paulk66

Dorset Paul
As we all know, fishing can be as simple or as complicated as we want it to be. Getting the feeding right is a different art form altogether!

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Its what I have been doing for the last 3-4 years and talking about on this forum - I explained my approach in this thread

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=152929&SearchTerms=simple

pratman

maddave
Tommy pickering is the nicest most pleasant angler to get on with and he's a leeds united fan which makes him stand way out in front of any other anglers [:T]

pratman

maddave
[:D][:D][:T] yeah he admits he should have stuck to the method in fishomania [:T]

GaryC

Originally posted by pratman

Tommy pickering is the nicest most pleasant angler to get on with and he's a leeds united fan which makes him stand way out in front of any other anglers [:T]
As is John Horsey, if you see him with a LUFC badge on his cap worn proudly, I donated it in Ireland this year[:T]
Gary[:)]

Serious Sam

Seriously Serious
I never understood people making fishing so complicated, I fish pretty much exactly as described above - I flirted with tons of different rigs, shotting etc. but all it leads to is lost time messing around instead of catching.

I keep bait simple too, at any given match it's unlikely I'll have more than 4 baits with me :

pellets
paste
minibolies
expanders

I seem to do ok and win my fair share, at the end of the day fish are either there or they're not - if a decent uality bait is presented in a decent manner they'll take it, it's not rocket science.

The people flitting from one miracle rig / bait to another depending what they read in a magazine this month rarely get anywhere in my experience.

Last edited:

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
One of the best tight lines for a while imo. Cant remember the last time a guest went into so much detail about pole rigs. His info on feeder fishing was good to. Clearly loves his fishing and talks from the heart does Tommy, top bloke.

Kirtons

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Serious Sam

I never understood people making fishing so complicated, I fish pretty much exactly as described above - I flirted with tons of different rigs, shotting etc. but all it leads to is lost time messing around instead of catching.

I keep bait simple too, at any given match it's unlikely I'll have more than 4 baits with me :

pellets
paste
minibolies
expanders

I seem to do ok and win my fair share, at the end of the day fish are either there or they're not - if a decent uality bait is presented in a decent manner they'll take it, it's not rocket science.

The people flitting from one miracle rig / bait to another depending what they read in a magazine this month rarely get anywhere in my experience.
I have to say so far this season I've done a lot better by ditching the magazines, don't get me wrong theres lots if good stuff in them but I started to get sucked into the latest fad a bit too much, and the latest fad/rig /or bait may not be relavent on your next match venue , so Instead I stuck to fishing to my strengths and getting some good info on the venue I'm about to visit , my bait tray for commercials is always pellets,corn, dead reds, groundbait and meat if needed these baits will catch all fish and can all be frozen to

fishcatcher4

Site Supporter
Sorry for going off topic a bit but is there anywhere else you can watch tight lines as i had to cancel sky sports.

MonkeyHarris

monkeyharris
On the night just google "watch sky sports % live free" replacing the % with the relevenant sky sports channel (1,2,3,4).

There are loads of feeds online. Be careful thought, dont click the obvious "crosses" to close the adverts as they will direct you to various websites you dont want to visit. Instead, click the tiny shaded crosses you can hardly see. When you hover over them your pointer will change from a finger to a standard pointer. Thats the one you want to be clicking to get the ads off. If its a cross with a finger pointer, dont click it!!

F1-Guerrilla

Originally posted by Serious Sam

at the end of the day fish are either there or they're not - if a decent uality bait is presented in a decent manner they'll take it, it's not rocket science.

fishing can be simple, but i disagree that its so black and white..

the right baits and depth ect. 'lots of things other than presentation need to be right to win matches.

and the best presented bait in the world is useless, unless your feeding is right.

in my experience the anglers that take the 'if theyre there youll catch em' motto so litteraly, arent usually the good ones!

Status
Not open for further replies.