Times of year per species.

Just wondering what people's views were on catching certain species at certain times of year.

I always fish for tench between April and the end of June.

Bream from September through to January

Pike from October through to March/April.

Cheers fellas

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I just catch whatever comes along. Have caught tench in December/January and bream/skimmers all year round. I have never fished for pike.

PS, welcome.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I don't target any particular species at any particular time. I've had Bream to 6lb in March and equally so in August, not targeted but welcome all the same. The weather can be 'iffy' at the best of times and I'm sure that this has an effect on the fish.
If it's got fins and swims, then it's a target.

Depends what takes my fancy really, I spent alot of last summer float fishing for tench and roach but at night time the eel rods would come out :). Winter is usually spent on chub but I have had just about the same success with them during the summer months. I guess the only species i truly dedicate a time of year to is january with pike.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Used to use this list.
January - pike whole month.
big roach whole month.
February- pike first week
Perch whole month.
Big roach whole month.
March - perch first two weeks.
Big roach first two weeks.
Big bream whole month.
April - Tench whole month.
Silver bream last two weeks.
Big bream whole bream.
May - Tench whole month.
Silver bream whole month.
Crucian last two weeks.
June - Tench whole month.
Crucian whole month.
July - Tench whole month.
Bream whole month.
August - Tench whole month.
Bream whole month.
September- Bream whole month.
Big roach last two weeks.
October -Big roach whole month.
Chub whole month.
Barbel whole month.
November- Big roach whole month.
Chub whole month.
Barbel whole month.
December- Pike whole month.
Big roach whole month.
Barbel whole month.
Chub whole month.

Silverfisher

I fish year round in rivers for anything with fins (except the closed season obviously) and also fish stillwaters for anything but only from March to about November as they get hard when they get cold and look so much bleaker than rivers in winter so aren't very inviting then.

In terms of species I'd guess that I've caught roach, perch, dace, chub, gudgeon and Ruffe in just about every month of the year. Then I'd say I've had bream, bleak and carp just about every month from February to November and Rudd, barbel and tench from March to October. Only had crucians, grayling and trout from June to October but sure I could catch them at other times. Haven't caught enough pike, salmon, orfe, ide, F1s to comment on them.

Sam Vimes

I have nothing approaching a set routine. I simply try to make hay whenever the opportunities present themselves on the waters available to me at any given time. So much depends on the individual waters and the prevailing conditions.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Tench in Spring, Rudd in Summer, Roach in Autumn, Pike in Winter. Everything else whenever.

bezzer

Site Supporter
Nothing set in stone, but I try and target Tench in May/June/July and then switch my attention to the rivers looking for Barbel.

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
The only fish I purposely avoid according to time of year are pike. I'll fish for them in December through to the end of February, avoiding them like the plague this time of year as they're just too delicate to mess with. With that said I had to land one last weekend when it took a perch I was reeling in and didn't bite the hook length. I got it in quick and back in the water but you could see it sat on the bottom for 5 minutes looking miserable as sin and very weak before it took off.

Anything else I fish for either bites or it doesn't. I'm pretty general in my fishing usually, barring the odd time I have a bash at the carp, which is usually in summer on the surface.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
June to March Barbelling on the River, March to June reading about Barbel with the carp rods out, bit of bream and tenching too in that close season. Odd match if I fancy it anytime of the year.

Barbel seeker

Site Supporter
June to December for barbel, December to 14th march for barbel ,march 14th to June 16th can't be arsed so get my gear sorted ready for june 16th , and do jobs around the house , and take our lass on holiday .on return from hols count my brownie points and assess what I can get away with without causing causing to much bovver

Neskin

June to December for barbel, December to 14th march for barbel ,march 14th to June 16th can't be arsed so get my gear sorted ready for june 16th , and do jobs around the house , and take our lass on holiday .on return from hols count my brownie points and assess what I can get away with without causing causing to much bovver

:ROFLMAO: Brownie point system is the way it works.

Im using that system this weekend and not going fishing because "we havent spent much time together" with a view to being on the beers all next weekend for the CL final

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Arry Fishing Talk 10
F Fishing Talk 23
emmaemma The Club House 5
62tucker The Club House 74
S The Club House 24