Times are Changing

Maverick

Site Supporter
After years of taking a 4" hook length as the standard for the method and pellet feeder and some preferring a 3" or even a 2" here this guy is using a 6"

Can you see any advantages to using a longer hook length with these methods.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Andy Geldart what a Lovely lad, i fished with his Dad on the winter Leagues, deserves all the success he gets Go get em Andy (y)

Cobweb

I thought that the idea of using a method feeder was to disguise the presence of hookbait and present it at the earliest opportunity, thus increasing catch rates. How does using a longer hooklength help that and why continue to use a method feeder under such circumstances?

D

Deleted member 21081

Short hooklengths all the way for me.

I’ll use short hooklengths on ‘traditional’ feeders also. On a Stillwater, When the feeder hits the water, due to its weight it sinks first, the hook bait follows this down vertically landing close to the feeder. With a longer Hooklength this creates slack line which means the fish can travel some distance without registering a bite. Different on running water but short hooklengths on still water for me.

D

Deleted member 21081

I thought that the idea of using a method feeder was to disguise the presence of hookbait and present it at the earliest opportunity, thus increasing catch rates. How does using a longer hooklength help that and why continue to use a method feeder under such circumstances?
The theory is It gives slightly longer for the fish to suck in the bait before registering on the feeder. If fishing for big carp this can result in better hook holds.

Personally I use 4 inch without a problem.

Cobweb

The theory is It gives slightly longer for the fish to suck in the bait before registering on the feeder. If fishing for big carp this can result in better hook holds.

Personally I use 4 inch without a problem.
There's no doubt that method feeding for carp up to early doubles works really well and, for me at least, has greatly improved my catch rates, and weights. I'm also happy with 4 inches (should I have said that?) I get the theory, but does it actually work consistently enough?

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
4" has always seemed about right for me, I can't see much difference being made by an inch either way personally, but never tried it.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Andy looks like hes lost some weight. Best get some diet tips off him. Ive tried longer hooklengths myself on the method but cant help but think the fish pick the hookbait up and occasionally spit it out before Ive seen any indication. Ill stick to as short as the fishery will allow which normally is 4" or 100mm for you younger viewers.