Theres blanking, and then theres blanking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HattMayes

Hi all. I found this site this week and it got me to dig out my fishing gear and go yesterday morning for the first time in over a year. I stopped before as i wasnt catching anything (oh i had a crayfish i think).
I dont mind not catching fish, but when it happens every session it makes you think about leaving that mug that says 'worlds greatest fisherman' at home. I done some river fishing with worms, although it was very murky and dark water. i also done some lake fishing, using worms/pellets and chopped up worm, and also in another direction a section of lamprey for the old pike.
Not catching pike is nothing new, as a roaming lure angler hadnt had a knock all day either. But i thought id have at least nabbed a perch or something.

Point of this thread is too moan at myself for being rubbish at fishing, when i used to be good when i was young. and too ask if anyone else has really bad spells.
I shall keep on trying....

bloomer

fishing monster
Welcome

Is it that you are getting bites and not connecting with them, or just not even getting bites?

Where do you normally fish? Someone will probably know the venue and be able to offer advice, if its missed bites what tackle are you using and someone will be happy to steer you towards fishing success.

rushyefc

aka kingslynn
at the end of the day mate it doent matter how good your are if the fish are not biting you will struggle

HattMayes

Im just not getting bites at the moment. I intend to go alot more often now so maybe things will pick up. I forgot to mention i pushed a bait needle right into the top of my finger aswell, which surprisingly didnt hurt taking out, but thinking about it happening does.

I tend to go to emberton park alot, i know a few people on here do aswell as ive seen some posts. My next time will be a local overstocked carp lake i think though, to get me some confidence back.

bloomer

fishing monster
K

we have a selection of MK members who know emberton well so I will leave them to give water specific advice

it is still early in the year, it is possible they just weren't having any of it, if you were fishing worm was it whole worms or sections of and on what method/gear?

nobby478

miserable old ....
Yeah, hit the puddle and bag up.... it'll do you a power of good. There is no substitute for confidence.

Then go back to that lake and fish it with really light tackle...you'll get tiddlers and maybe they'll bring their big brothers.

Of course it could just be your username that's jinxing you [:0]

Welcome aboard

NumpteyNum1

Moron
What lake are you fishing at Emberton Park mate?
What type of rods do you have?
I can give you some tips on emberton, but need to know what tackle you have.

HattMayes

Cheers guys.
If im doing any piking at emberton im normally on Heron lake, the long side that runs along with the river, but piking isnt what i want to concentrate on. I had a very nice tench from heron lake on a boilie a few years back, but nothing since. Tench, bream and carp are my main target for the summer months.
Im led to believe that Otter lake is good for tench, while Grebe is good for carp, also small pike. I do know that Otter lake has been made much bigger since i last went over there.
Ive just purchased some marine halibut pellets(pre drilled so no more bait needles in fingers), some mixed maggots and some more dendra worms (which i was using whole on hook in answer to previous post). Bit limited on cash at mo, but getting there week by week. I have all main essentials like unhooking mat etc. I have three main rods i use, one pike rod 2 3/4tc, carp rod 2.5tc and i have a 13ft quiver which i was using the other day with a small weight and a ready made hooklink,size 14 hook/hair, with a worm on the hair/hook. My reels are baitrunners, and they have newish 8lb line and 12lb line.
edit: i also have most tackle to cover any rigs, fat lot of good it does me :) j/k

As for the username giving me bad luck :) i almost choose WonJilson, but it wouldnt accept my other email address.

Last edited:

HattMayes

Another question about emberton is the weed...It doesnt seem to grow to high, but its defo covering the bottom when you cast out a bit. Do you always have to use a popped up bait in this situation? i hate the thought that my bait is sunk under some weed out of sight.

edit: NumpteyNum1, ive just read your blog, good stuff. I see you say Heron lake (the boating lake) is very hard to catch pike. That itself has given me some confidence back as my friends and i had some nice fish out of there a few year back. My late friend beat my my PB of 14lb 2oz by ONE OUNCE in the bottom corner, lol. and..i just remember, i caught the same fish 3 times from the nightime to the moring when night fishing was allowed. It was clearly the same fish as it was scarred, 6lb odd.

Last edited:

NumpteyNum1

Moron
All of my fishing at emberton is based on the Grebe lake, in the summer months, use a flat method feeder with 2 hair rigged soft pellets on the hook and bury the hook into the middle of the feeder.
Clip your line just before half way and fish to the same spot every time you re-cast.
Also if you can, spod out quite alot of pellets or particles over the spot your fishing at and just sit and wait, recasting every 20 mins or so.
Once the bream move onto your bait you should get loads, averaging around 3-4lb but sometimes you will get the skimmers.
If you do start getting the small skimmers try using a 10mm ringers white shell fish boilie, this is what ive had most of my fish on there and i always start with these on grebe.
In the colder months like now id try a maggot feeder, again fished to the middle if you can get it that far, and maybe spod out about half a kg, but not too much to over feed them - the only problem with maggot feeder in the summer is that because there are so many roach and perch in there, by the time the tench and bream have got there, the maggot is gone.

When are you next going down?
Ill pop down for abit and see if i can advise you somewhere to fish as i know the most productive pegs on grebe [:p]

HattMayes

Thanks alot mate, some good info there. I think ill be trying grebe lake with the maggot feeder when i go there next then. ive only ever fished it once in the past. I can get a good cast out and being bugged by roach perch is fine for now, any fish will do, then i can think about targeting specifics.
If you were using a maggot feeder at a long distance, would you use a quivertip (mine is a fixed one) or a bite alarm?

Ill try and post when i go over next, will be sometime during this week im sure.

NumpteyNum1

Moron
Use a quiver tip rod, im not sure if its fishing at the moment but always worth a try eh?!
Oh and if you fish the wider end of the lake, the road side, fish about 3 pegs up from when the lake widens up, if that makes sense?!
But thats where ive had most of my luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.