The passing of a Great Match-man

NBL

It is with great sadness that I announce the passing of my dad and once match fishing great, Bryan Lakey. Some of the site will have known him personally from his home town of Wisbech where he ran a successful tackle business for many years. Others, from the match scene where he was prolific for over 30 years. He was crowned National Champion in 1970 before the division split and was Embassy Champion in 1979 on the Guden in Denmark. These were the two biggest achievements possible and he was always very proud to have done the double. I hope he is now resting with Sid Meads, his lifelong friend and they are busy preparing ground bait with a heavy caster and squat mix, ready for the whistle to blow and the first cast of the day. thumbnail_20181006_140836.jpg

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
It is with great sadness that I announce the passing of my dad and once match fishing great, Bryan Lakey. Some of the site will have known him personally from his home town of Wisbech where he ran a successful tackle business for many years. Others, from the match scene where he was prolific for over 30 years. He was crowned National Champion in 1970 before the division split and was Embassy Champion in 1979 on the Guden in Denmark. These were the two biggest achievements possible and he was always very proud to have done the double. I hope he is now resting with Sid Meads, his lifelong friend and they are busy preparing ground bait with a heavy caster and squat mix, ready for the whistle to blow and the first cast of the day. View attachment 38770
So sad to hear the bad news may god rest his sole and the happy memories live forever in your heart ❤

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Rip Bryan , obviously never knew him , but was a prolific matchman as I was growing up

JayD

My condolences to you and your family on your sad loss. I'm from a lot further North, and never met your Dad, but I well remember his name, among many other great names of the time. RIP.

John.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Condolences on your loss.
Never met your father but remember his name.
RIP Bryan.

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
So sorry for your news, but great memories for you to pass the time with.
A "Golden Ticket" for the Great Match in the sky on that (carp free) mythical venue (y)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
My condolences to you and your family on your sad loss

RIP Bryan

Nunachuk

Site Supporter
Please accept my condolances on you and your families sad loss! R.I.P Bryan.

smiffy

Site Supporter
A well known name from my youth. RIP Mr Lakey.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Sorry mate, no words can make it easier, the memories will last forever.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Condolences for your loss mate. I captained a team in the Div 4 National back in the 80s. David Hall recommended I phone Bryan for advice which I did. He was most obliging & gave me advice on how to fish the Middle Level.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I didn’t fish in that era but I’m really sorry for your loss. He sounds like a great bloke. You will always have your memories though.