The intelligence of wildlife groups

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
and their greed!

I remember reading something back in the early 2000's when the SNH and other groups revealed they had decided to "help" the stoat population "recover" by releasing them onto islands where they had no natural predators, the young would then be gathered up and released on the mainland to bolster their numbers.

Now it seems that because they don't have any natural predators they are taking over the islands (oh no..what a surprise!!) and need culling as they are wiping out the natural inhabitants!

They originally asked for £3 million to do this, apparently after some investigations they decided that wasn't enough and they needed more money so now they've been granted £6 million, that's £6 million (so far) to sort out a problem they caused in the first place with their meddling.
I personally would make them do it off their own backs with no funding because they obviously didn't carry out (or didn't pay any attention) to impact assesments or consultations, amazingly they are all shouting about the invasive stoat but none of them have mentioned their involvement in the stoats getting there to start with!

One of their biggest costs so far, one of their main "weapons" in the war on stoats, flying a dog over from NewZealand to hunt the stoats and laying 10'000 traps to catch them.
I reckon they could do it quicker, easier and raise funds by selling tickets to American hunters who want to go shooting...a "stoat safari" ;)

£6m project approved to eradicate stoats and save Orkney's birds of prey | Press and Journal

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Ya get it in lots of different cicumstances someone has a bright idea and when it goes tits up the won’t admit it, as the old saying goes “if it ain’t broke don’t try fix it”

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
These are the same sort of naive fools who released the poor pretty and cute Mink from farms then probably wondered why the Water Vole population crashed.
Fikuncg idiots!

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
That's a prime example of why you shouldn't mess with
the Natural World. Just let evolution take it's own course.
Mess with the natural world, As humans that all we do is destroy the so called natural world. Some of theses groups start with all good intentions, but seem to lose the aim as time gos on. There is money to be maid in it now, some of these so called groups become a bigger problem than the reason they where formed to resolve. Do I think in the long run we need them yes. With out them we will end up with nothing.