The git blog

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Yep good fifty quids worth, I`m going to use the silicone method to attach the line. Thought about using superglue with a Dacron fly loop but
if I get it wrong with superglue there is no going back.

In my tackle bag I have a screw from an old landing net with a couple of inches of the frame turned into a semi circle. Come in handy over the
years for pulling branches down that I`ve got caught up on. Fishing the Beult a few years back and about eight feet out a piece of reed stuck
out from the surface and onto this had latched a bigger piece of reed which was nuisance with me keep nicking it with the hook, so decided to
lay down so I could just reach said annoying bit of weed with my branch thingy.
Managed to shift offending bit of weed but never got a bite for about twenty minutes in fact the swim never recovered properly, think what
damage waving a pole over that swim would have done. All this in your face fishing is all right on commercials but with naturals its a no no,
our granddads never said sit well back and keep still for the fun of it. I think it was good old Issac who said anglers should `study to be quiet`,
quite so.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Whoops bit trigger happy there. Christmas soon and one of the hardest things is when asked what we want for a present so if anyone
has any ideas.
1, a meccano set. I`m not joking everyone loves them they are up there with train sets.
2, a mosquito or beaufighter plastic kit
3, list of books past and present, with Amazon and e.bay finding titles nowadays is a doddle.
4, even if you are not a game angler a wooden boxed fly tying kit is a nice present to receive.
5, a signed photograph of me.
6, MD hoodie, very cosy.
7, magazine subscription.
8, non fuel handwarmer.
9, tackle voucher.
10, a tuition session {if you need it} at your local trout fishery.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
If I was a very rich man I would live in a castle, I would need to be rich just think of the central heating costs.

If I was a very rich man I would buy Tottenham football club. I would then flatten it and turn it into a park and ride
to the Emirates.

vfr400

Site Supporter
If I was a very rich man I would live in a castle, I would need to be rich just think of the central heating costs.

If I was a very rich man I would buy Tottenham football club. I would then flatten it and turn it into a park and ride
to the Emirates.
If you did that you'd have a long ride to where you belong south of the river :)

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I was totally against the high speed link to St Pancras but now it is up and running I have changed my mind. A minute walk to the bus
stop ten minute ride to the station means I can be in London in no time. One of my son in law`s wears his spurs shirt when he comes
round, he thinks it winds me up, well he is right!

Pompous git

Site Supporter
The missis went into town looking for bargains, youngest turns up complete with hooligans. So much for a couple of hours peace
and quiet.

When missis got home she said while the bus was waiting for time a women near the front told the lady sitting next to her that on
a previous bus trip the driver was eating a sandwich while going along. The driver must have heard this and wrote on a piece of paper
a number to ring and report things like this to the bus company !?
When at work I got into trouble over something trivial and had to report to the shedmaster, he said to me "not a day goes by without
somebody reporting train crew to this office". Just why do people have to be such creeps?

Was fishing local tomorrow but sore throat has kicked in, going to sweat it out trouble is it leaves you so weak.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
If the fish want a static bait but you don't like ledgering try a flat float.... it is like a float ledgering setup and you can work the rig down the peg by just lifting and lowering the rod or pole top and letting it edge down a few inches or feet

Pompous git

Site Supporter
There is a thread about cutting down on the stuff we carry, I do not want to take it over so here is my two penneth.

One club I was in had a stretch of the Kentish Beult, I must have been the last angler to fish it before it was dropped. I had a long
walk through head high foliage then make a swim, now anyone who has fished the Beult knows it can just turn off and its as though
there are not any fish at all, never been so pleased to catch a couple of bleak.
After another struggle back to my car I thought sod this I need to lighten the load. Following day the plastic shaky box got the boot
and I went over to a small holdall, do I really need to carry three reels and a terminal tackle box that weighs a ton? I weighed my
new kit against the old, can`t remember the figures but no wonder I was struggling.
Now to the holdall, two float rods, avon plus wand plus standard leger. Huge brolly and as for rod rests there was enough metalwork
to fill an ironmongers shop along with landing net handle.

Got myself a five foot six holdall and a Wilson five piece travel avon does everything from freelining for chub to delicate quiver. Cheap
small umbrella and one bank stick with a fold down rest. Float rod I choose on the day and leave the brolly in the car unless rain is on
the cards. As well as a landing net handle I put a fold up 24" net in the holdall as well. Result is I can now go fishing without having a
bad back for three days afterwards.

My bus outfit is a shakespear seat bag with a directors chair bag used as a rod holdall {five piece Young`s trotter}, bluddy uncomfortable
but ok for a couple of hours. I think the amount of tackle we take can actually put us off going.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I was moaning last week about not being able to get 2 1/2lb maxima which is my go to line, would prefer to use 2lb but most of the
waters I fish have lumps. Anyway our man Total suggested the net and bingo, four spools of 2 1/2lb in the post this morning, never
given the net a thought for sundries but its getting annoying when you go in the tackle shop and there are only a fraction of the range.
So, a cyber cup of tea Total old boy.

My bathroom sink has one of those pop up thingies and its slow to drain so yours truly decided to decide to put his amazing DIY {guffaw
guffaw} skills into practice, took it into the garden and put the hose on it, that did not work so decided to take it to bits, big mistake as
a spring and washer flew over my shoulder. Off to B&Q, there are three types of plug {I decided I wanted a fliptop}, there are four lengths
and two widths.
Of the two dozen pegs in B&Q only three had anything on them, luckily one of them was the one I wanted. Like trying to buy maxima!

A new children`s park has opened behind my local Asda, took my grandchildren there today. Nothing unusual there I here you say but
it has a small stream running alongside, I remember checking it out donkey`s years ago when it was surrounded by fields, a cursory recce
revealed roach and small chub, could be interesting.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Was hoping to drive to Norfolk today and come back the weekend, oh well. Local river is out of the question so end of season as
so often is a disappointment. Not to worry when knocked back I turn to meat, bought a piece of ribeye, its a quarter of an acre and
eight feet thick. Eeeee......

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Afternoon all, there are hundreds of anglers on here and between them they must own thousands of rods but even so this a bit of a long
shot. I am looking for a Leeda blue diamond 12ft spliced tip, must be the original version and in good nick. Your price paid.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Hoping to be in Norfolk next week if all goes well, I`m going to fish Horsted mill pool with a 5 weight fly outfit for trout {got more
chance of going to the moon on a push bike than catching a trout but so what}. It gives me a chance to be by the river with a rod.
Obviously its powerful by the lasher but otherwise the flow is perfect with a couple of large steady {!} eddies. So gentlemen what fly
this time of year?

I`m going to e.mail the EA just to make sure I can actually do this and print the reply, this is a very public place and there is always
some know it all jobsworth ready to give you a load of gyp. 13896

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dave Spence The Club House 7
Pompous git The Politics Room 68
mickthechippy The Club House 7
E Fishing Talk 14
M The Club House 8