The git blog

Pompous git

Site Supporter
A couple of weeks ago I thought I was going to die, I have more instructions than a NASA space shuttle handbook and more pills than Boots the
chemist. The main man at Norwich A&E said `you have not had a heart attack but you have had a warning`. I was ready to meet my maker {or not}
but totally unprepared for the bloody awful news that I must cut down on the amount of beer I drink.

Half a dozen sailors get sloshed and start fighting in a foreign port, this makes the main BBC headlines, must be a slow news day.

Having read and reread the so called `Chequers plan` it is open to interpretation to say the least. May said `brexit means brexit`, said plan is no such
thing and any brickbats that come her way are fully deserved, fun times ahead.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Bloody carp anglers its about time they were told a few home truths, a brigade of bivvy dwelling bishop bashing Bolshevik bellyachers. They
spend half their lives hurling half a pound of lead halfway to the horizon when half the time the fish are half a yard in front of them. Then they
nestle down in their twenty four tog Arctic Antarctic arse antic polar weight double insulated sleeping bags in the middle of July.
Then fall sound asleep in a comfortable bed in a cosy little tent waiting for a tame fish which they are on first name terms with hooks itself
and if it is not too much trouble wind it in on scaled down shark tackle.
Then they have the gall to parade in front of the camera fawning and cooing over the overfed freak as if it was the product of their own loins.
I say eradicate the hideous alien pot bellied monstrosities, get rid of the bloody carp as well.

Total

Site Supporter
^^ Smiling here!:).....Keep posting PG.(y)......I trust your recent health scare has been more favourable of late.(y)

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Hi peeps, should be ok if I use my loaf, time catches up with us all in the end. I thought I might appear a misery guts after my post on the
wind up thread so I posted the above to even things up a bit!

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Took my youngest grandson on his first ever fishing trip this morning, here we are with his {our} first fish, a lovely little chavender. Small pool
about the size of a front room carpet on a bend of a stream contained about forty dace and a dozen or so chublets, very nervous they scoffed
the free maggots but generally ignored the hookbait, they might be small but they are not silly.
Now and then people say on here they are tired of fishing, this basic angling for tiddlers with no pressure and the simplest of kit would even
cheer up scrooge, another way to get the old grillocks up and running is casting a fly {red buzzer does the job} on a pond full of small rudd.
Not sure if my grandson enjoyed it or not but I did, I love being a big kid!

If you have a barbecue be sure to invite a couple of guardian readers, keeps the flies off the grub.

P1010509.jpgP1010509.jpg

D

Deleted member 21081

Fish? I can’t even see a pond?????
But what life should be all about nevertheless!

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Here is a picture for Deleted Member, the stream behind the foliage. I love these places, the perch are like something from a coral reef and the dace
are like little bars of polished silver.

Me and the missis had a few pints and fish and chips in our local at lunchtime. There was a wake going on and because I was not sure of the
pub doing food it was so busy I said to the wife `lets help ourselves to the buffet grub, no one will notice`. Don`t you dare! Came the reply `it
would be like stealing from the dead`. Well I couldn`t see problem, I have always liked the idea of getting something for nothing.

When I die I want my brain cryogenically preserved, it would be a crime against humanity not to have this magnificent organ saved for the
nation.P1010522.jpg

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Ordered a Diawa speed whip from Bobco, trying to get one or something similar in my part of the world is nigh on impossible. My main
go to float is a 2AA drennan clear waggler which suits my six foot deep breezy local lake but try buying these in Kent, why is the angling
world obsessed with floats that have bloody great lumps of lead stuck on them or tips so thick they resemble Beachy Head lighthouse.
I asked an assistant for some small aresley bombs and he looked at me as if I was speaking in Swahili, the shop owner said we no longer
sell bombs and guided me to some guru weights which must have some use in angling but couldn`t think of one. Someone suggested
I use fine wire hooks that would straighten easily when using a whip to avoid damaging it, all I could find were animal and `pellet` whatever
they are.
Whichever shop you go into the selection of rods is tiny compared to a few years back, yes I know we can browse the world of tackle by
sitting in front of a computer but the internet has well and truly stuffed tackle shops, when I am in Norfolk I use Stalham pets and tackle
it comes to something when a pet shop puts the big boys to shame. Its safe to come out, rant over.

D

Deleted member 21081

Here is a picture for Deleted Member, the stream behind the foliage. I love these places, the perch are like something from a coral reef and the dace
are like little bars of polished silver.

Me and the missis had a few pints and fish and chips in our local at lunchtime. There was a wake going on and because I was not sure of the
pub doing food it was so busy I said to the wife `lets help ourselves to the buffet grub, no one will notice`. Don`t you dare! Came the reply `it
would be like stealing from the dead`. Well I couldn`t see problem, I have always liked the idea of getting something for nothing.

When I die I want my brain cryogenically preserved, it would be a crime against humanity not to have this magnificent organ saved for the
nation.View attachment 5865
I can see both the water and the beauty in that stream!

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Another couple of shots of `my` stream. I like my Lumix camera but for some reason leaves and undergrowth seem to throw the auto
focus, with old fashioned film we could use a polaroid filter to see the river bed but I don`t know what the digital equivalent would be.

In Tesco this morning and the wife drew my attention to a Halloween waistcoat for a dog, is it me or has the world gone nuts.

vfr400

Site Supporter
Another couple of shots of `my` stream. I like my Lumix camera but for some reason leaves and undergrowth seem to throw the auto
focus, with old fashioned film we could use a polaroid filter to see the river bed but I don`t know what the digital equivalent would be.

In Tesco this morning and the wife drew my attention to a Halloween waistcoat for a dog, is it me or has the world gone nuts.

vfr400

Site Supporter
you can still get polarizing filters for digital cameras, they work in the same way

Pompous git

Site Supporter
My camera is the compact type that cannot take a screw in filter. Anyway, I read on the net that putting a polaroid sunglass lens in front of the
camera can have the same effect. I have an old pair of JW `amberjacks` somewhere so will try it, if it was a nice sunny day with plenty of light to
offset the cheap plastic lens it might just work.

Just received my Diawa speed whip from Bobco, well packed and efficient service. I`m amazed at the quality of the whip for a mere fifty quid.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Yep good fifty quids worth, I`m going to use the silicone method to attach the line. Thought about using superglue with a Dacron fly loop but
if I get it wrong with superglue there is no going back.

In my tackle bag I have a screw from an old landing net with a couple of inches of the frame turned into a semi circle. Come in handy over the
years for pulling branches down that I`ve got caught up on. Fishing the Beult a few years back and about eight feet out a piece of reed stuck
out from the surface and onto this had latched a bigger piece of reed which was nuisance with me keep nicking it with the hook, so decided to
lay down so I could just reach said annoying bit of weed with my branch thingy.
Managed to shift offending bit of weed but never got a bite for about twenty minutes in fact the swim never recovered properly, think what
damage waving a pole over that swim would have done. All this in your face fishing is all right on commercials but with naturals its a no no,
our granddads never said sit well back and keep still for the fun of it. I think it was good old Issac who said anglers should `study to be quiet`,
quite so.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dave Spence The Club House 7
Pompous git The Politics Room 68
mickthechippy The Club House 7
E Fishing Talk 14
M The Club House 8