The git blog

Total

Site Supporter
Watcha Total, bit of a shock happened so quick, I didn`t even know what glaucoma was. Last eye test I had was about six years
ago but I keep putting it off even though its free, changed my mind now.
Good evening PG, Got to look after your eyes mate, get the eye test sorted out quick please. (y)

Wroxham, an old stomping ground for me too, lovely drop of water, but always felt I never did it justice. :(.....Catch the Yare right and it can be brilliant.:)

....You've got to give it a go.(y)

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Afternoon men {and you lot with the rather interesting sticky out bits}, the largest floats in my tackle box are 2AA wagglers and some
sticks that take half a dozen four shot so it looks like I am going to have to step outside of my comfort zone if I want to catch better
roach from the Thurne.

I have a small book by Jim Gibbinson on tench fishing, its about twenty years old. Poker stiff rods that cast whacking great feeders to
the horizon along with electronic indicators. My local tench waters are a three acre estate lake plus a large pond surrounded by lilies
and reeds. Love watching a quill at half cock and even if I catch just one or two or simply blank I enjoy it. Even if it meant catching bags
of massive tench sitting behind beachcasters waiting for that bloody awful BEEP BEEP holds no attraction, each to their own I suppose.

Back to the Yare, I remember reading that if this river runs clear then its roach time and if its coloured the bream will feed. I fish the Bure
at Wroxham and this can be clear or otherwise but cannot understand why sometimes it is coloured {as it was last week} when there has
been no rain for weeks.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Got a nice piece of fresh cod {well Tesco said it was fresh}. Will saut`e some new potatoes and pan fry the fish in butter with a squirt
of lemon. No doubt some on here would slop a load of brown sauce on it. Of course they are quite entitled to do so as is their right
but it does not detract from the fact that they are animals.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I do not like it when people post about `hate` in posts. This implies people who do not tow the party line on multiculturalism
are embittered, just because we take a different view does not mean we are full of malice.

The devil on my left shoulder tells me capitalism is bad and responsible for most of the worlds ills. The devil that sits on my right
shoulder tells me that said monetary system creates vast wealth and without this and the rewards that the risk takers and the
innovators enjoy means that us plebs are up wotsit creek without a paddle. Hard work being a Marxist Tory!

The hideous lumpy thing with ears that sits between these shoulders is telling me that I need more beer, love and peace man.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Right bullocks you lot, always felt a bit nervous near these animals. The late Tony Miles wrote how he saw two swans land on the riverbank
and a herd of said beasts went crackers, one of the swans got caught in some wire fencing and was deliberately trampled in a frenzy.
I had just packed up and loaded my car after a trip to the RMC at Stonebridge, was leaning against a fence just enjoying watching the
sunset. Two swans waddled out of a dyke onto dry land and the twenty or so bullocks in the field went absolutely berserk, bellowing and
kicking out like mad things. As they rushed towards the swans the birds made a hasty retreat to safety but their actions left a lasting
impression on me.
There are two stretches of the upper Bure which I would like to fish, free fishing because of a public footpath along the river the banks are
reasonably flat as well. Trouble is there are often cows in the fields with calves and indeed there are notices warning people about this. I
could push my luck but I would spend most of the session looking over my shoulder.
Although a lifelong angler and cyclist I have obviously spent a lot of time in the countryside but I am not a country boy. I am not sure if I
am being over cautious or not but farm animals actually scare me.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I have never used a boilie a baitrunner or feeder {wouldn`t have one in the house!} or bite alarm {apart from a penny on the
spool} and have never used a whip or pole, I am not just a stick in the mud I`m stuck in concrete. However fishing the Bure at
Wroxham last week and the roach were in the top couple of feet of water, no big ones but a fish a chuck and an enjoyable couple
of hours fishing.
Anyway thinking of getting myself a whip for fishing to hand, not going to bother buying rigs I will pick up some crowquills and
use them upside down. Not sure what whip to buy {I want the cheapest and the best} but one thing I do know the choice is
bewildering.

Not much to report from PG world, just felt like being at the top!

Pompous git

Site Supporter
The above photo is of the kit I will take on my Tuesday fishing trip. When I look at the tackle others cart around I get instant backache! As for
Dave`s new `en suite`, where does he hang the tin bath?

Picked up the advanta catalogue when in the tackle shop this morning. On the front cover is a picture of Dave Coster with a net of roach, the
picture looks as if it has been doctored slightly but a net of pristine quality roach, is there a better sight in fishing?

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Decided to buy some fly storage. Anyway I saw a wooden fly box {Glasgow angling centre} which the advert says is `hand made with superb
quality brass fitting and will last a lifetime` all for the grand sum of fifteen quid. There is a saying if it sounds too good to be true then it is.
Anyway I have bought one, reminds me of the saying there is no fool like an old fool.

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
Great to hear from you PG, I love your git blog, don't ever stop posting. If you pack up fishing, make stuff up!! The site would not be the same without you and I hope our paths cross soon and we get to fish together.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Watcha Dave thank you for your kind words, me give up fishing? I think I will have to fish my grandkids paddling pool when I get past it I
just have to watch a float.

Bit of a newcomer on here, I think I have done well not to get chucked off though. I have been `nobcheese` and `gitshagger` on other sites
but I`ve learnt to hold my tongue, hard work when you are always right!

A question on here this morning regarding CDAA, seriously thinking of joining {if they will have me}, trying to get some decent river fishing
in my immediate area is poor, simply down to lack of parking. It is very frustrating.

Ps Dave, missed your stories, am I looking in the wrong place?

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Been online today and bought three books, roach, `the gentle giants` by John Bailly along with `roach` by Cpt Parker and lastly `the fishing
handbook to end all fishing handbooks`. I defy anyone to read the latter and not laugh, example regarding Barbel, `a great big flat head and
beady eyes with a huge underslung mouth, features not uncommon east of the Pennines`. Hee hee. Written by a bloke called Cliff Parker.
Whilst mocking Yorkshire and the maggoty nobs that live there its a good job Mr Parker never saw the picture of Red Leader with his Shirley
Temple perm. All together now, on the good ship lollipop.........

I thought about buying a book by Mark Wintle called `big roach` but at twenty five quid I said no thanks. Decided I now really want this book
and the cheapest I have seen it since is over a hundred pounds. Should have struck while the iron was hot as they say, such is life.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Last week I swapped a few comments regarding bread punch fishing with KenJ, very helpful he is too. I read his blog {well part of it anyway}
and I remarked he should write a book. Quite by chance I found out he actually has {bread punch diaries} and I have ordered a copy. Should
make an interesting addition to my modest library.

I am the worlds worst at DIY, if I paint a door it looks as if a five year old has done it and I have been told I do not know what a straight line
is. I have no problem with this but it infuriates me that people who are no better at this than I advertise themselves as skilled men.
It is sheer good fortune that my house has not gone up in flames and that my family has not been electrocuted and only last year I avoided
a full on flood by pure luck. People who pretend they are professional when they are anything but should get five years. What brought this
rant on? Me and the missis have decided to get a new kitchen, I am not joking when I say I am scared stiff.

T.I

Site Supporter
Just to wind you up some, my aunt has just had a kitchen fitted as part of a rebuild, the guy messed it up so bad the whole thing needs to be replacing...

I'd be interested in a review of the book you got, am looking for something like 'river roach for beginners', particularly on a whip.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I will indeed review the book but unless it arrives tomorrow you will have to wait a fortnight, driving to Norfolk Monday night. I have a
couple of books by David Carl Forbes, they do not tell me anything I don`t already know just enjoy reading other anglers experiences
rather than cold bloodied how to do it books. I remember missing my tube train stop in the seventies when I read in the newspaper that
he had died, I read everything by him and felt I almost knew the bloke.

Fifteen years ago my central heating decided it had a mind of its own, the thermostat was buzzing so I decide to change it. Had done so
before but it was like for like but having a new type meant the wires did not match. Fuse blew, looked at it, looked at it again, fuse blew.
Time to call the experts, turns out I had an earth wire when in fact it does not have one but two lives. This was only the start of what I
can only describe as a horror show.
The mush said to me I will have to rewire your heating and he showed me why. The pipe from the boiler to the tank had a mains wire that
was actually wrapped around it when it should have been trunked {is that the word?} and the wire was crumbling to dust but I had no idea
as it was hidden. The wire from the thermostat was cut in two by floorboards and every time someone walked past it it shorted.
I put my trust in this man {corgi and all that} to replace the boiler and what a mistake that was, my missis actually ran out of the house one
day because she thought said boiler was going to explode, get `Swale` to do everything now.

As for the plumber who replaced my water tank, I had a leak and a 15mm pipe came away from a joint in my hand!

Had new doors, the bloke advertised himself as city and guilds with thirty years experience. At least he didn`t try to kill me but I felt like
killing him.

Sorry to have gone on {and on} but you can see why I`m getting nervous. Going to get B and Q to do my kitchen at least I will have a place
to go and find someone to strangle if it turns out to be a disaster.

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
Watcha Dave thank you for your kind words, me give up fishing? I think I will have to fish my grandkids paddling pool when I get past it I
just have to watch a float.

Bit of a newcomer on here, I think I have done well not to get chucked off though. I have been `nobcheese` and `gitshagger` on other sites
but I`ve learnt to hold my tongue, hard work when you are always right!

A question on here this morning regarding CDAA, seriously thinking of joining {if they will have me}, trying to get some decent river fishing
in my immediate area is poor, simply down to lack of parking. It is very frustrating.

Ps Dave, missed your stories, am I looking in the wrong place?
I have not written for a while PG, had a few problems to sort out, but I should be posting again in a few weeks. I have 'blocked out' the sixth and possibly final episode of the 'Drennan Drowners' and will post as soon as it is written. I was a bit worried that people were getting fed up of my stories.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
KenJ`s book turned up by courier an hour ago, a cursory glance through and it is obviously going to be a good read. Would I recommend
it? Yes.
Was reading a small book {roach by Cpt Parker} from the fifties and in it he says if you want good rod rests go and speak to your local
umbrella maker!

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Fishing this morning for a few hours, grain of squashed corn on a sixteen overdepth so nothing fancy. Usual suspects, sprat sized roach
and rudd but one rudd needed the net it was around twelve ounces. It had a badly damaged but healed mouth from being mishandled
in its youth, happened a few times of late, these larger fish are obviously around but only the ones that have to swallow without being
too fussy are being caught {by me anyway}, perhaps a worm tipped with caster will tempt them.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Stand back men important announcement, I have finally decided to enter the twentieth century {what`s that you say?} and I have bought
myself a whip. Only a cheapie but will see how I get on.

Got up this morning and felt awful, never felt like it before so I took Sportsman`s advice and swallowed an aspirin and called a ambulance.
They kicked me out of A&E after a couple of hours but I have to go back Sunday for a heart scan {Norwich & District}, been fishing, swimming
and cycling in the last week and felt fine so out of the blue, tell you what it does narf come as a shock.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dave Spence The Club House 7
Pompous git The Politics Room 68
mickthechippy The Club House 7
E Fishing Talk 14
M The Club House 8