The git blog

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Especially those lazy hazy days of summer we used to have?
[8D][;)]

Pompous git

Site Supporter
In the early seventies I used to fish a lake near to Orpington known as the
shallows. This was often frozen over and because it was so shallow it was like
looking into an aquarium, on a number of occasions I had seen a sizable pike
which was obviously into double figures but whenever the swim was free of ice
there was someone in it.
I decided to fish it Christmas morning, I was not popular {even less than usual}
but I wanted to catch this fish. It was freezing and the only live bait I
could catch were miniscule roach so small I put three on a large single.
When the bobbin inched up I thought my efforts were going to be rewarded but
it turned out to be a jack about a pound, only bite I had.
When I went to go home my elderly Austin A40 wouldn`t start so it was a long
walk to a phone box and a call to my dad who you can imagine was not too happy.
A week or so later a seventeen pound pike was caught from the swim and it
won the pike cup, that was my fish!

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Couple of posts about fishing tackle being stolen, sad and maddening for the victims. I think
thieves in general should be put in cages in the high street on a Saturday afternoon where
the public can look at them, would also bring some life to our flagging town centres! Seriously
humiliation is a powerful tool.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I have a young`s 13` travel trotter, it is twice the weight of my 13` ultralight but as
soon as you use it the extra weight is not noticeable. Lovely rod which I bought for a
specific purpose but I was so impressed with its action I bought another and this rod is
my go to for most float fishing.
Only fly in the ointment is my ABU1044`s do not sit right on the reel seat. When I tackled
up this morning I noticed a `rovex` decal where the reel seat sits, turns out this is not
just a makers mark but a badge on a sticky lump. Removed this and my 1044 now fits perfectly.
Note to myself, stop being a knob.

Walking through empty coaching stock I would come across all sorts of publications from whopping
wobbling wobblies to the new scientist but one thing I would not touch {even with someone else`s
bargepole} is the guardian. This so called newspaper represents the true meaning of `the gutter
press`. Its readers should have their heads cut off and displayed on spikes outside UKIP headquarters.

Most gentlemen {cough} of my age have everything they need so it is quite difficult to answer
when family ask what do you want for xmas, fathers day etc. This Christmas my daughters came up with
a novel solution. A sizable batch of home made sausage rolls and small pasties suitable for the
freezer. A couple of these chucked in your tackle bag the night before is just right to keep you going.

Scribe

Site Supporter
Evening Pompous - OO gauge and is that American rolling stock ?

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Watcha scribe, the engine is a `crab` 2-6-0. Yes I know it doesn't go with the EWS 350 but its what
my young grandsons like. Been meaning to landscape for about ten years! When I have a house full of
people my shed is where I go to hide.
Not a very good photo, I think my foot threw the auto focus.

Grappenall 57

Site Supporter
Right! that's it, I'm having a new shed (mine is small, old, and full of stuff!).

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
Next meeting of the 'Drowners' will be in your shed mate [:T]

bezzer

Site Supporter
PG, now that's a real man shed! Very jealous.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Afternoon men, thank you for your kind words regarding my shed. Said outbuilding is the holiest of the
holies and more people have walked on the moon than entered its hallowed walls, however as I mellow in
my old age I have relented a little. The magic words are `I may be unworthy but I bring spitfire`.
Speaking of which, my kitchen windowsill catches the late afternoon sun. I like to keep a bottle or two
on said windowsill, the sun glinting through the beautiful chestnut ale is truly wonderful.

Mick the chippy in his latest post mentions the RMC, here is a true story from the seventies. When I first
moved to Ashford I was fishing said canal just west of Lympne bridge. Make no mistake there are and
always have been some impressive carp in this water but this thing was a monster, it was `waddling` on the
surface without a care in the world towards me.
I was fishing for tench with an avon rod and six pound line along with a strong hook so whilst not carp
tackle it was at least strong. I put my car keys and watch on the bank and tried to think where the fish
would head for and making a mental note of where I would enter the water if need be. I took the shot of off
my terminal tackle just leaving the float and pinched a large piece of bread on the hook and cast just in
front of the fish. To my amazement it slurped in the bread without a second thought.
I struck and fell back on my stupid arse missing the bite by a mile. Although an experienced and competent
angler {doesn't sound like it} when the moment of truth arrived I panicked like a big girls blouse.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I enjoy a bit of cooking but while I will never manage Nigella Lawson`s awesome dumplings I think my onion bahji creations are pretty good.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Our man Gozzer asks how many of us have written to our MP regarding the black plague, although I have written
to mine a few times over various things its just like some kind of fob off roundabout. Have to admit though I
have never written about fishing and its problems.
This attitude must change. So, how about if every maggot drowner made the effort in say May? Give a few facts
{don`t overdo it} let him or her know how legislation is not just protecting the intended but allowing vermin
to flourish at our fishes expense.
Never know us humble MD`s might even start a groundswell.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Pompous git

Our man Gozzer asks how many of us have written to our MP regarding the black plague, although I have written
to mine a few times over various things its just like some kind of fob off roundabout. Have to admit though I
have never written about fishing and its problems.
This attitude must change. So, how about if every maggot drowner made the effort in say May? Give a few facts
{don`t overdo it} let him or her know how legislation is not just protecting the intended but allowing vermin
to flourish at our fishes expense.
Never know us humble MD`s might even start a groundswell.
Great idea mate; or we could start a petition. [:T][:T]

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Years back when I was a lot fitter I would cycle to Ashford and get a train to Penshurst, it was a six mile
ride from there to the upper Medway at Fordcome. I remember a pub by Chafford weir called the Chafford Arms.
Before the journey home I went in for a pie and a pint, there was this old dear sitting in the corner she was
just like Barbara Cartland she even had a lapdog.
She asked `why have you got a pair of scissors on your belt`? I replied `they are not scissors they are artery
forceps`, `oh I see` she replied `you are a medical man`.
Made me smile, I always walk into a pub covered in mud and slime before performing an operation.

Another pub I would use was right by Penshust station, very spit and sawdust, just right. Anyway this pub was
done up and went all poncey calling itself the `little brown jug`. I ordered my pint and it was served in a
cross between a vase and a flowerpot, I said `can I have it in a proper beer glass please`? Got a funny look but
the barmaid complied only for me to knock it over breaking the glass. One of those occasions when you want the
ground to open up and swallow you.

Dave Spence parked outside the medical centre, although he was having some serious dental work done he was quite
chipper. He was not scared `I am a bloke and I will act like one` he said to himself. He sat in the chair and the
nurse gave him a jab to put him out, as he started to go woosey he mumbled `this dental work shouldn`t hurt too
much`? The nurse looked at him with a satanic smile and said `dental work`? No that's on Tuesday, today is for
vasectomy`s.
Wide eyed and in a state of shock and panic our Dave could not fight the anaesthetic, just before he went out his
blood froze in his veins. First he saw the rusty blunt breadknife, held by a figure in the doorway. The figure of
a tall dark handsome man wearing a fedora..........

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Sorry to sound holier than thou but a gentle reminder to write to your MP regarding cormorants.

Boat race Saturday, I hope all you Cambridge scum are ready to eat dirt!

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Quote "Dave Spence parked outside the medical centre, although he was having some serious dental work done he was quite
chipper. He was not scared `I am a bloke and I will act like one` he said to himself. He sat in the chair and the
nurse gave him a jab to put him out, as he started to go woosey he mumbled `this dental work shouldn`t hurt too
much`? The nurse looked at him with a satanic smile and said `dental work`? No that's on Tuesday, today is for
vasectomy`s.
Wide eyed and in a state of shock and panic our Dave could not fight the anaesthetic, just before he went out his
blood froze in his veins. First he saw the rusty blunt breadknife, held by a figure in the doorway. The figure of
a tall dark handsome man wearing a fedora.........."

I can see now why you have not posted for a while; obviously thinking this little snippet up
[:p][:p][:p] Giving me a vasectomy would be the equivalent of putting a Dam across a dry river bed [:(][:(]

Don't worry mate, when you read the next installment we will, once again, be all lovey dovey [:T] I would even go as far as to say, you may even feel inclined to invite me into your shed and offer me a Spitfire, in a real glass [:T][:T]

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I thought it was about time you lot saw how lovely I am. Mind you I am not sure what happened to the rest of the
photo, yep if you want something ballsed up I`m your man!

Scribe

Site Supporter
PG is the photo truncated, to hide the numbered board you were holding, when the photo was taken at the Police station ? :LOL::LOL:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dave Spence The Club House 7
Pompous git The Politics Room 68
mickthechippy The Club House 7
E Fishing Talk 14
M The Club House 8