The git blog

Pompous git

Site Supporter
This is my original Mitchell 330 from the early seventies. The Sherlock Holmes among you will notice it has non original screws
to the side plate but this is how it came back from the service centre after I had dropped it and bent the main shaft. Couldn`t
care less if it is scruffy to me it is the most beautiful reel on the planet, I wouldn`t part with it for ten thousand pounds. P1010649.jpg

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Morning Mick, I always thought `otomatic` was the French word for automatic. Got that wrong its some kind of gun.

I`m of to a family get together, I have put some drink in the fridge for when I get home I have the feeling I am going to need it.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Good afternoon gentlemen, there has been a subject on everyone`s lips for about four years now and it seems there is no sign of
it dying down in fact it is getting worse, I am of course talking about doorways.
It is said if you want to get the feel of a town or just a street then `look up`, the roofline and windows will give a much clearer vision
of the buildings history rather than the bland same old same old clone shop fronts. The bank front door is in Norwich opposite the
market and what a magnificent beast it is. The much different but equally superb jewellers front a few doors down is another example
of how shops can show off their importance.
Many years ago me and the git clan where on walkabout in the lovely little town of Shaftsbury, along side us walking up Gold Hill
of hovis fame was an old dear who must have been at least eighty plus. Slowly but doggedly she ascended this mountain like street.
In the middle of the town was a Chinese takeaway called `yuk wah`, it had the filthiest doorway I have ever seen it is hard to see just
how dirty it was from the rather poor photo, as I took a snap of this horrible place said elderly lady stepped into the frame and I like
this picture it just sums up a moment of my life, sort of where I was at a particular time and place.
So lets here it for doorways {just don`t get me started on lampposts}, they are not just handy for getting out of the rain while waiting
for the bus or having a quick grab of your girlfriend`s bum in the dark they all tell a story.

Right, I am know about to lock horns with my photo scanner which I am convinced has it in for me.

Attachments

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Last week in Norfolk we had a couple of scorching days so me and the missis just took a picnic and a couple of chairs to sit under
a tree by the river in Hoveton park, I say park it is only a small area and gets quite crowded but it was cool. A couple of kids were
fishing with whips plus a bloke sound asleep in his Korum chair, a few other mostly beginners doing everything wrong but they
were enjoying themselves all the same, really nice to see people fishing a public area and I would like to see more of it.

Wroxham angling was taken over by AD then AD moved to a different shop, now the original Wroxham angling has reopened in
the original shop although now primarily a pet shop it sells the best quality maggots I have seen in years.

Total

Site Supporter
@Pompous git .....Good afternoon and welcome back PG....I trust you enjoyed Norfolk. Am up that way to see my eldest lad soon......I miss them doorways too! ;):oops:

.......Good luck with the scanner, we are here to help if needed. (y)

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Watcha Total, I have a morbid fear of the Dartford crossing every time I drive to Norfolk. Been caught out a few times over the
years but of late been lucky, then last week wallop, that will teach me to get lulled into a false sense of security.

PG 1---Scanner 0 :)

Pompous git

Site Supporter
My `instant` kit has a Shakespear fold up chair with a backrest and rucksack but the seat is small and actually gives you a pain after a
couple of hours. Anyway bought this slightly larger chair which takes my rucksack and it has a built in rodrest, only a couple of wiggly
bits of wire and it may seem naff and noddy but the thing works like a charm and is a lot more comfortable, result.

@mickthechippy , it may or may not be a small world. My late father in law like many had to go to work as soon as able to bring in money
and also had any chance of further education ruined by the war, he worked on farms before moving to London welding Thames barges
before ending up as a gardener in Greenwich park.
Despite fairly mundane jobs he was an intelligent man who took great care over things, if he had to write a letter it was a bit of an event
out coming his prized writing slope and it was a joy to look at his beautiful handwriting. Said writing slope he told me was quite old when
he got it and I suppose these things were a very useful item in their day.
The slope was solid mahogany and in fairly good condition. Around two years ago the missis decided to have a clearout and sell the slope
on e.bay, got about twenty quid if I remember right.
A pleasant middle aged gentleman from Folkestone turned up and bought it, I am hopeless with faces but was that pleasant middle aged
gentleman you?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
Well theres a thing !

its not often that the words "pleasant" and "gentleman" are used on this site and may or may not be described as myself

no, train driver, twas not, my days of buying and selling on furniture are long gone, though I did repair a nice table and windsor chair not long back and utterred them for a pecuniary advantage

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dave Spence The Club House 7
Pompous git The Politics Room 68
mickthechippy The Club House 7
E Fishing Talk 14
M The Club House 8