The git blog

Pompous git

Site Supporter
In the seventies I treated myself to a Grice and Young `avon royale`
centre pin, can`t remember the price but it was not a cheap exercise.
As I was loading the line on it started to seize with bits of swarf coming from the pin itself, back to the shop for a swap and loaded the line on in the shop and all seemed well. On the third trot down the Medway on its first outing this reel went the same way as the first so got a refund, back to the Mitchell 330, I love these reels and indeed still use one for small river chubbing but they are not ideal for trotting.
Eventually bought myself an ABU1044, with twenty plus years of use it started to get noisy but I was fortunate to buy a secondhand one local at a reasonable price. Took the original one to bits and with some fresh grease and a drop of oil it now runs like new! Stamped `made in Japan` and made with decent brass and steel I expect it will outlast me.
Some people complain that line gets behind the spool but I have never had this problem. Recently re-read a Dave Harrel book on river fishing and in it he says he sometimes uses line of just a pound and a half, I wonder if this a problem for some {DH says he modified his reels with custom spools}. My dexterity is not what it used to be and I now use floatfish 3.2, surprisingly thin and supple.
If you fill your closed face reel with thicker line until an eighth of an inch from the spool lip then tidy it with some suitably trimmed masking tape then put exactly eighty four handle turns of your chosen line this will give you fifty five yards, works for the 1044 so I suspect it will work with most ABU`s.

Krh57

Site Supporter
Brilliant, can totally relate to this...excellent

Total

Site Supporter
^^^....Am just in the process of restoring an old Avon Royal Supreme I bought from a friend many years ago.

To be fair it needed sorting when I first got it.[:D]...It finally got to the stage where it wasn't running that true and the Bearing pin itself needed replacing....This will all be done and a decent paint job too.[:)]

I love using my Abu 1044 on a long rod when fishing my docks with a heavy pole float rig, it works a treat and have had many good bream with the odd carp up to 18 pound on it, lovely fishing.[:)][:T]

matchstickman25

me too unfortunately. Been done with two **** expensive reels now. Will shop locally from now on.[}:)]

Last edited:

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
I have just bought a ABU 507 Mk11, compared to my old 1044 the build quality does not seem good. I've not used it yet but hoping to get some chub on the stick with it later in the week. I am not optimistic about it lasting.

matchstickman25

My Abu died yesterday. It was working then without warning just stopped. Jammed solid. Got it open on the table now but can't see what it is, anyone got any ideas where to start?

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Good evening gentlemen. Despite being an expert on everything sometimes even a clever dick like me is left
flummoxed. I sometimes fish the Thurne at coldharbour farm, fairly wide eight foot deep and tidal, perfect
stick float water. Sometimes catch sprat size roach sometimes goer size but nothing very big. However, when
the tide turns the river stands still can be a few minutes or up to over half an hour.
During this slack water if I move my float up so that my rig is well overdepth and use corn or a corn skin
I catch much bigger roach even had a few approaching a pound. Happened a few times so it is safe to assume
these fish are around all the time. Why can`t I catch these better roach when I`m trotting? The local bods
in the tackle shops say fish overdepth to slow things down but this does not make any difference, to be
fair and with respect they are bivvy boys or feeder anglers. I will be back in Norfolk {hopefully} in the
next week or two and would like to crack this problem, hefty roach, luvverly jubbly!

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Oh well nobody is talking to me, everyone hates me but I don`t care {with apologies to Millwall
fans, all two of them}.

Back to reels, as anyone who fished in the sixties will know the cheaper reels were dreadful, they
had gears made from base metal and quickly broke. I saved and eventually got myself a Mitchell 330
and never looked back. I like these reels for two main reasons, you can rest your finger on the
spool{the best drag of them all} and because they have a train of gears rather than just a simple
crown and pinion they do not fly around like a mad thing and create tangles.
The problem I have is not the reels but the rods, they have become so light that putting a reel as
heavy as a Mitchell on it is cruelty, like sticking a sidecar on a BSA bantam, for example I sometimes
use a Leeda 12ft blue diamond {one of the originals} this brilliant rod only weighs five ounces. Had
a number of reels that I have given away because I have gone back to the 330`s but I bought myself a
stradic, can`t get on with double handles though, not sure why just do not feel right. What I do like
on this reel though is the fighting drag, why a 2500 sized reel should warrant a lever drag I do not
know but I knock this off and you effectively have a free spool which is dead handy when you want a
piddle or pull the line towards you. So, bought an exage {normal handle and fighting drag} within five
minutes this was obviously the reel for me and I ordered another two. Some weeks went by and no sign
of my reels but Shimano had now introduced the `saido` which is like the exage but with better engineering.
Had these reels some years now, they are the best small reels I have ever used by a mile.

I have a stretch of the river Stour near me but because of a bridge having been rebuilt all parking is
now lost, its just that bit to far to cycle, it seems sometimes we just can`t win.

rjays

Top Tip...ABU 1044 Keep the handle in down position to eliminate line getting caught around he back of spool

Last edited:

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
join the wantsum club, you can drive down to the bank on thier stretch at the gutter, fishing aint bad too

rjays

Top Tip...ABU 1044 Keep the handle in down position to eliminate line getting caught around the back of spool

Sorry.. To avoid confusion it should read...down position Perpendicular to the rod.

Total

Site Supporter
Originally posted by rjays

Top Tip...ABU 1044 Keep the handle in down position to eliminate line getting caught around the back of spool

Sorry.. To avoid confusion it should read...down position Perpendicular to the rod.
.....6 o'clock position.[:D][:T]

...I heard this mentioned before. Is it do do with the spool positioning within the bell housing?....Although I've never had this problem myself. Thank you.[:)]

rjays

Yes correct....but 6'o clock position only will only work if rod is held horizontal

Total

Site Supporter
...And why this tip helps please? I'm trying to understand the problem you mention. Thank you.[:T]

rjays

Errrm..I have no problem...opening post mentioned that people had complained that line was gettng trapped behind the spool...I am just offering advice to cure the problem...Seems a pretty good tip to me.

Total

Site Supporter
Ok. Thank you for your replies. Much appreciated.[:T]

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Pompous git

Good evening gentlemen. Despite being an expert on everything sometimes even a clever dick like me is left
flummoxed. I sometimes fish the Thurne at coldharbour farm, fairly wide eight foot deep and tidal, perfect
stick float water. Sometimes catch sprat size roach sometimes goer size but nothing very big. However, when
the tide turns the river stands still can be a few minutes or up to over half an hour.
During this slack water if I move my float up so that my rig is well overdepth and use corn or a corn skin
I catch much bigger roach even had a few approaching a pound. Happened a few times so it is safe to assume
these fish are around all the time. Why can`t I catch these better roach when I`m trotting? The local bods
in the tackle shops say fish overdepth to slow things down but this does not make any difference, to be
fair and with respect they are bivvy boys or feeder anglers. I will be back in Norfolk {hopefully} in the
next week or two and would like to crack this problem, hefty roach, luvverly jubbly!
Sorry if this sounds obvious but, have you tried fishing a static bait when the river is pulling? Using a straight lead would simulate the river standing still, it may be that the bigger fish want a static bait but only get it when the river is still. [:W]

Last edited:

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Hello Dave, yes it may well take a static bait but I do like to use a float if at all possible. Did
have another week in Norfolk but did not fish the Thurne, sat by said river with the missis and had
a picnic {simple pleasures} crikey that river can push through at Potter Heigham.
Fished the Bure at Horsted but because I arrived at the river late I ended up in a rather odd swim,
fishing a huge eddy, seems a bit odd trotting upstream.
Fished Stalham boatyard twice, second time I left my sweetcorn in the fridge, bad news. Maggots just
attracted gudgeon. Now unlike many I love these little fish {from when I was a kid I suppose} but these
were minute in fact some were only an inch or two, now I am not a heavy duty angler but I would like
something a little bit bigger!

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
I know where you are coming from with the Gudgeon mate, I used to love catching them on the Trent, although they were a little bigger than what you're describing. I once weighed one on its own and it went 15dr. meaning you would need around 15 - 20 fish for 1lb!!
I think we must be around the same age, I also enjoy sitting alongside the river having a picnic with the missus, just watching the world go by and I am sure that some of the young uns' would benefit from a more laid back approach rather than rushing to do everything. An old chap once said to me, many years ago, "you can't beat giving something a good dose of looking at", I still adopt that philosophy today. [:T] [:T] [:T]

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I like that saying. My favourite is from Izaak Walton {I think} he said that
anglers should `study to be quiet`.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dave Spence The Club House 7
Pompous git The Politics Room 68
mickthechippy The Club House 7
E Fishing Talk 14
M The Club House 8