The Floatmakers Thread

peanut

I sand, seal, san seal, paint, lacquer.

Use sanding seal the seal.

[:T]

Last edited:

peanut

[URL="http://purplepeanut007.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/a-star-wars-float-bit-of-fun-challange.html?m=1]PEANUTS FISHING ADVENTURES - THE RIVER IRWELL AND BEYOND.: A Star Wars Float - A bit of Fun & A Challange From " Salford Pet "[/url]

One morning, while we were setting up my new lathe

we were talking about the first three films and how they compare to the latter ones when my old man pipes up . . . . . . .

Hay Son . . . . . Here's a challenge for you,

try and make a float with a

" Star Wars theme "

We both laughed and carried on with the work shop tidy up but an idea had started brewing. . . . . .

Read the rest of the tail on the blog.

More pics to.

A Sith Pacemaker !!!!!!!

peanut

[URL="http://purplepeanut007.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/handcrafted-floats-2017.html?m=1]PEANUTS FISHING ADVENTURES - THE RIVER IRWELL AND BEYOND.: HANDCRAFTED FLOATS AND FISHING EQUIPMENT - 2017[/url]

Below is a large inserted waggler and an alloy stemmed " Retro Stick Float "

[:D]

peanut

http://purplepeanut007.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/my-best-bobber-to-date.html?m=1

Here we have a perch / grayling bobber in my own colours. ( Purple, Pink & White )

For more pics hit the blog link. #128522;

peanut

http://purplepeanut007.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/new-gitd-tinca-stick.html?m=1

I am starting to get into the groove for the up and coming Tench season.#128521;

Below is a . . . . . . . . .

" Pearlescent, Feather inlayed, Glow In The Dark ( G.I.T.D. ) Tinca Stick "

I have also pearled the black cotton on the bottom two thirds of the float, gives quite a nice effect. #128513;

What do you think ?????

More pics on the blog. #128521;

peanut

http://purplepeanut007.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/heavy-wire-stemed-avon-in-sexy-pink.html?m=1

" Heavy Wire Stemed Avon "

It is the same weight as the original orange version but finished in sexy pink with silver thread and a jay feather

The rest up up to you to come the 16th.

Hit the link to see more pics on the blog.

peanut

http://purplepeanut007.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/irwell-stick-my-favourite-float-of-all.html?m=1

" The Irwell Stick "

I have caught more fish on this float than any other !!!!!!

This is a simple looking float but probably the most versatile float I use.

For more pics and fish captures using this float hit the blog link above.
#128521;

pat 1948

Being as my fishing is greatly curtailed these days because of ill health and old age,[:D] I've turned my hand to float making and am thoroughly enjoying it, cutting my teeth on peacock quill wagglers, there's about 30 in different states of finish!!! I need to fix my lathe so that I can make the brass weights for the 'loaded' wag's, hopefully the culprit on the lathe is 'forward,off,reverse' switch, which has just arrived, must get my finger out and get it fitted.

My main reason for coming on site is that I fancy making some Trent sticks but would like to use 'Styrex' for the bodies rather than Balsa, and though I've checked as much as I can it seems that no one makes that shape, all Styrex 'shapes' it would seem are for pole floats, so if anyone knows of any stick bodies I'd be thankful if you could let me know where from, Cheers Pat.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
I have used this company and they were excellent

www.keithsfishingtackle.com/...n-bodies.html

Apologies if it has already been mentioned, I did not have the time to check through all 40 odd pages

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Last edited:

Silvers

I started making floats because I can't buy good quality, sensitive floats in the shops.

The stillwater blue is no longer available :cry::cry::cry: glowtips are ok but they break too easily :mad:

My solution was to buy some quill, glass pole float stems and pole float bristles. A bit of 5 minute araldite and a marker pen to apply colour and they're done.

Not pretty, nor perfect but good floats. They don't take on water, they don't break and cost pence rather than pounds.

More importantly they do the job, which is mainly on the drop maggot/caster fishing.

2.jpg

Compared to the legendary stillwater blue, inferior glow tip, and an insert crystal waggler

1.jpg

Last edited:

Kirtons

Site Supporter
When painting onto bare foam pole float bodies , what is the process most people follow, sand then sealer them paint or paint straight on?

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Better off using a sealer mate, you'll get a better finish when you paint them.

Rick123

Does anyone make whip floats on the forum? I'm looking for a bit of help, tuition, inspiration please?

ukzero1

Site Supporter
For inspiration take a look at the Tubertini stix, Stillwater blues or the Drennan glow tip antennae, very similar to stillwater blues but with a better tip! Use a 4x8 maybe a 4x10, and string the shotting ( number 11's ) out so you can catch on the drop.

stickfloatkev

Some peacock wagglers I have just finished, mostly with inserts. I like to make about 6 of each size and paint 2 yellow 2 black and 2 orange giving me a quick change option with differing lights.

do you sell any of these wagglers mate

pkthorne

Site Supporter
What’s best paint to use thinking of making some pole floats and bit unsure what paint to use on bodies any help be very grateful

ukzero1

Site Supporter
It all depends on what you use for a sealer. I use sanding sealer first (2 coats). After that it depends on what your chosen paint is thinned with. I have used cans of spray paint before, you can also paint use paint for decorating the house. Just make sure your thinners matches the paint.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
daniel121 Fishing Talk 23
P Fishing Talk 2
R Fishing Talk 4
M Fishing Talk 5
Peter Fishing Talk 2