The dawning of realisation.....!

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Yup.... for definite, my match fishing career is over... I have team fished and entered opens, won Essex club League team titles and medals, and generally had a ball @ club level... but the desire to compete has gone.... totally... I returned from my yearly sojourn to Docklow and I had more fun with a bit of cane and a centre pin in the margins, than sitting with a pole and hammering pastie carp all day... so this afternoon my Match box S series went up in the loft, along with my net bag and keepnets, the trolley is up there too.
since retirement, I thought that my desire to "get stuck in" would re-ignite, but it hasn't... carting shedloads of kit about isn't for me any more... a rod, a chair, a net, bit of bait and I'm happy.... funny how things take you as you get older....

Arch

Site Supporter
Same here. My travelling partner had moved away, I went on my own for a while. My last proper match was on the Loughborough canal, I sat next to Mark Downes. I caught 3lb odd, he had 7lb and battered me. Cost me £50 odd to fish the match, I wasn't enjoying it any more and stopped fishing for 10-11 years. Now I fish the odd match, but spend most of my time Barbelling with very little tackle.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Fishing is a hobby to most of us and like all hobbies it's got to be enjoyable, not a day's work.
We're lucky in so far as there are many aspects of our hobby from match to pleasure, still water to river and canal, specimen or bagging, and for a change there's also fluff chucking and sea fishing, boat or shore

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
I can Honestly say that i feel at Home with my new club, im now eager for sunday to arrive , love the Banter and Chit Chat with the lads im now more wanting to go than ever, The thanks obviously goes to the lads for making me welcome.

rd350lc

I'd say give it a bit of a break , rekindle some other interests and you may find you want to go back to it .

I've felt the same quite a few times now but I find mixing it up with other hobbies and family stuff and only going once or twice a month I'm keen as ever .

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I like to mix it up a bit,, I only ever fished matches,, up until last year,, now,, I just fish natural waters,, for roach and bream, feeder fishing mainly,, I havnt fished the pole, for nearly a year now,, n probably won’t touch one this year,, it keeps it interesting for me.

matt withers

Same here, what with the stresses of life, I know much prefer a quite afternoon travelling light on a canal or river

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
As Dave said, it is a hobby and therefore has to be enjoyable. If you don't like it don't do it. I think you have done the right thing by storing your gear, rather than selling it, Arry as you never know how you will feel in the future and the second hand price of tackle tends to be a bit of a joke. Hope you continue to enjoy 'keeping it simple' mate(y)

Arry

Site Supporter
@Dave Spence... possibly Dave.... but the thought of carting a Match box, net bag, bait coolbag, rollers, roosts, rods, poles, me own snap, sends shudders down my spine, now I select a rod from my growing collection of gear, a reel a bit of bait, a net and chair and I'm off grinning from ear to ear......;):love:

stikflote

Site Supporter
Ive also lost the motivation to go been twice in last 18 months ,and I can't see me
wanting to go much at all.
I moved my Matrix box while tidying my shed ,thought bloody hell that's heavy ,so I think its going to my mate
Cant believe I used to carry it about

Arry

Site Supporter
I still go... just not matches any more... went out this morning actually... mid-double common on an old rod... happy daze

MarkW

I more or less stopped fishing matches in 2003, I did the odd Xmas match and Forum (Fishing Magic) match after that and apart from a brief comeback to some team matches in 2010/11 I haven't fished a match for 8 years. I no longer take/use keepnets and have lessened the gear needed for most trips, especially on the river where I have a light roving kit. I'm trying to do a bit more pole fishing at present.

At the time of my comeback I noticed I was off the pace and getting places instead of what would have been wins but the big change was how old the competitors are now!

Arry

Site Supporter
Same here pretty much... when I lost my Dad in 2011 I took a break... came back in 2013 and things were different... the coach outings had stopped due to costs and our club only travels to carp puddles now... only 1 silver fish match a year.... enough... game over... I have more fun on a tiny stream, catching whatever swims than on a carp puddle....

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
I no longer fish matches. The club I joined when I moved to Yorkshire fish all of their matches on venues stuffed with F1s. I am not interested in catching 200lb of the vermin so I now fish two club lakes in South Kirkby and a local pit pond which both have decent heads of bream and other silvers. If I never saw another carp it would not bother me., I do not fish for them but if one does come along I know how to deal with it.

mattnewark

I have absolutely no interest in match fishing any more. Packed that up about 20 years ago. Combine the cost/travelling/only fishing for 5hrs/moaning/stress of drawing badly etc etc/regularly getting stuffed meant that I soon packed it in.

My fishing now takes me on my local Trent, where one day will be spent barbel fishing, the next on the stick, the next after Bream, and it's magical.

Once you retire your match fishing gear, it's hard to get back into it again as you will be out of touch with the venue regulars.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The thing with match fishing is that you should get beaten by better anglers every time but you dont for many reasons, yes in percentage terms overall you will lose more than you win but now and again you can put one over on the best because things fall in your favour and that is part of the magic of competitive fishing .....certainly not for some but the ones who enjoy it rarely swap to other styles.

Peezartiste

Site Supporter
I fish a small club match nearly every Wednesday. Most are in their 50/60's some of us in their 70's, I'm 74 and we have at least 2 in their 80's.
I won last week and collected the princely sum of £20. So with entry fee £12.50 bit of bait £5 and fuel costs I possibly made a minute profit. But none of us do it for the money, we normally pay out for first and second overall and first silvers.
It's just good to be able to get out, have a bit of banter and chat with the lads and if you do get a payout it helps towards the weekly cost

rudd

Fished one match last year and came second.
Fished one this year and second again to same chap!
Small scale club matches, very little rules, can just about pick own peg!
This year took speci chair, keep net, landing net, couple of waggler rods, small tackle bag, float tube and bucket containing bait.
Both matches fished for silvers, other chap had a few big carp.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
I no longer fish matches. The club I joined when I moved to Yorkshire fish all of their matches on venues stuffed with F1s. I am not interested in catching 200lb of the vermin so I now fish two club lakes in South Kirkby and a local pit pond which both have decent heads of bream and other silvers. If I never saw another carp it would not bother me., I do not fish for them but if one does come along I know how to deal with it.
"I know how to deal with it" that sound ominous Geoff :cautious:. Carp were always considered a 'bonus' fish and the catching of a 5 or 6 pounder would be the highlight of the seasono_O. I still love the venues where you have roach, bream, tench, perch and even gudgeon in your net at the end of the day.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
I fish a small club match nearly every Wednesday. Most are in their 50/60's some of us in their 70's, I'm 74 and we have at least 2 in their 80's.
I won last week and collected the princely sum of £20. So with entry fee £12.50 bit of bait £5 and fuel costs I possibly made a minute profit. But none of us do it for the money, we normally pay out for first and second overall and first silvers.
It's just good to be able to get out, have a bit of banter and chat with the lads and if you do get a payout it helps towards the weekly cost
Thats what it is all about mate, ENJOYMENT!!!!! If you win enough to break even, you have had a cracking day 'fer nowt' just how it should be.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P The Politics Room 25
mickthechippy Where You Fished Today 12