The daftest thing in fishing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Clay

I met this guy some years ago and was he enthusiastic about his fishing?

He read that the range of plastic baits by Enterprise Tackle really did the business so he decided to invest in a quantity of these baits.

However after spending close to 700 on plastic maggots, and catching absolutely nothing, he came to the conclusion that he had been done. On the first day he visited a local commercial with two pints of the maggots and after feeding little and often, never even had a bite.

I never used them either.

So look out chaps, real maggots work a hell of a lot better.

[:I][:I][:I]

Last edited:

Kilbz

Michael
That's nothing, this is as true as they come and only happened a couple of weeks ago..

A bloke came in to the local tackle shop and bought about 6-7 feeders, as he was going fishing on the Trent and heard that cage feeders worked well on there. He walked in the next day and said to the owner "that's expensive fishing" as he bought 5 more.

I know what your thinking how could he loose all of them in one session that's unlucky, well what the daft sod was doing, was filling the feeder full of his groundbait and maggots and throwing them in... literally throwing them in over where he was fishing.

God bless his soul.

bigredfred

Site Supporter
One of the members of my old club had the same problem with plummets,and then someone showed him how to put the hook in the cork at the bottom.

tradman

Originally posted by NathanWatson

Originally posted by Kilbz

Yes Nath at john halls shop, ady hull was telling me
I meant the original post mate!
Yes, Of Course it is, no doubt about it, mark my words

[:T] [:T] [:T]

Last edited:

GADGET

I know a ex professional Rugby League player who went fishing and spent ages filling his feeder with maggots when asked why he said the bloody things are crawling out as fast has I can put them in the holes... Daft sod he did,nt release the end came off the maggot feeder lol

GADGET

When Brasem additive first arrived over here years ago Baz Smith gave me a bag to try out I was fishin a match on the Bridgy canal in Warrington I mixed it straight and cuped three big balls in everyone for about 10 pegs either side of me shouted what's that smell lol

NathanWatson

Originally posted by GADGET

When Brasem additive first arrived over here years ago Baz Smith gave me a bag to try out I was fishin a match on the Bridgy canal in Warrington I mixed it straight and cuped three big balls in everyone for about 10 pegs either side of me shouted what's that smell lol
But did you catch??

smiffy

For years as a youngster I would forget to thread my line through the bail arm wind my line back in and re thread it under the bail arm.
Until someone explained about releasing the spool and flipping the bail arm then replacing it.
Not too stupid but it was a common occurrence for me and went on for many years[:)]

NathanWatson

Originally posted by smiffy

For years as a youngster I would forget to thread my line through the bail arm wind my line back in and re thread it under the bail arm.
Until someone explained about releasing the spool and flipping the bail arm then replacing it.
Not too stupid but it was a common occurrence for me and went on for many years[:)]
I did the same but not so easy to remove spool with front drag reels and loose washers etc!

Anyway, daftest thing is pull bungs!!

Freesolo

Yea i did this too when i was a kid, worked it out myself though must have thought i was a genius at the time

Macspower

Originally posted by Kilbz

That's nothing, this is as true as they come and only happened a couple of weeks ago..

A bloke came in to the local tackle shop and bought about 6-7 feeders, as he was going fishing on the Trent and heard that cage feeders worked well on there. He walked in the next day and said to the owner "that's expensive fishing" as he bought 5 more.

I know what your thinking how could he loose all of them in one session that's unlucky, well what the daft sod was doing, was filling the feeder full of his groundbait and maggots and throwing them in... literally throwing them in over where he was fishing.

God bless his soul.
yeah also been listening to my local tackle dealer telling this one for near 30 years now..

grannyspodder

Site Supporter
I went once when I was a kid and decided to use a bigger float other than use my favourite one. I threaded the line through the eye and started to put the weights on not being sure how many to use I put 5 BB s on and then dipped it in the canal; it floated so on with the rest in my small shot tub and it still floated, I ended up putting all of the shot in my tub on the line before realising that I need to put the line through the eye twice.

The Big Fella

hi

I did my work experience at Marks and Marlow when it was a thriving shop and this happened

A guy came back in the shop ranting and almost "purple with rage" that he had been for want of a better word "ripped off" on a DAIWA pole that he had only purchased the day before.

He went on and on about it being a joke and it handles terrible and its too short and he wanted his full money back etc etc

The serving person in the shop apologised and said "he couldn't understand why this was and better have a look", so the customer unwrapped it and showed him by setting it up and guess what it was indeed a bag of spanners......

Apart from it was because it was the way client was using it!!![;)]

A take apart pole but he had set it up like a lot of the older style telescopic pole versions - which were still available at the time!

He was over a metre short it rattled like hell, and was also bent like a banana

Once he was shown he was not purple "but crimson" with embarrassment [:eek:)]

Last edited:

GADGET

Originally posted by NathanWatson

Originally posted by GADGET

But did you catch??
Believe it or not I caught seven skimmers one after the other I thought I was goin to empty the canal never had another bite on that line after the first half hour !

Peezartiste

Site Supporter
I started fishing in Germany in the Seventies on the Harbours in Duisburg. At that time we didn't put jaffa size groundbait balls in, we put football size..
Any way got posted to Glasgow and first time out went on the Forth & Clyde canal at Clydebank. It was only about 3ft deep but not knowing any better I piled it in. After a couple of hours I had about 6lb of roach and a was a bit disappointed, when this guy came along and as they do, asked how I was doing. Said not too good only about 6lb and he wouldn't beleive I had got that much. When I told him about the grounbait, he said "no one fishes like that here, that's not the way to do it."
So I never did it again, and I never caught 6lb in two hours again. DOH!

matchstickman25

Guilty of this myself[:T][:I]

Status
Not open for further replies.