The centrepin thread....

Simon R

Site Supporter
I have three pins - two of the 5" Leeds pins from Lewtham Engineering. Superbly free-running both of them
One is currently strapped to my 13' Daiwa Connoisseur stick-float rod

I also own one of the Marco Contesi Barbus reels

Looks posh but it's just one of Roger Surgays Dragon Carp brands

Not as free-running as the Leeds reels but that was why I bought it - I use this with bigger baits, for bigger fish on rivers and stillwaters.

Simon

Silverfisher

I did get a centre pin last Christmas as I didn’t have one so just felt I needed one. Hasn’t been used yet though but I’ll get around to it.

rudd

Okuma Aventa Pro.
Cost around £60 many years ago, great reel for price.

Sportsman

I have always liked the idea of fishing with a centre pin and, in fact, I have an old Adcock Stanton somewhere that |I haven't used for years.
The problem is that the reality never matches the anticipation, with lots of little irritations such as line caught around reel foot etc..
On the odd occasions I go trotting these days I use a closed face reel (Abu 501 or Dam CFR). It's just one less thing to have to think about about.

“The problem is that the reality never matches the anticipation, with lots of little irritations such as line caught around reel foot etc..”

Practice makes perfect 🎣

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Thought it might be worth starting a centrepin reel thread for anyone that may be interested in them.
This is my okuma sheffield attatched to a normark Avenger MKII.

Never owned a centrepin or tried centrepin fishing but my armed could be twisted!
The Okuma Sheffield is meant to be a fair centrepin.
I've got me popcorn.
This thread will be epic.............

Trailblazer

Account Locked
I love using my sheffield, but I like using the cheaper aventa pro every bit as much. The only differwnces between them that I can find is the face plate and the colour, otherwise they're pretty much the same reel.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
That looks great sport catching Barbel on the float Trailblazer. Might hunt out an Aventa Pro. Only fished for Barbel once and was lucky to catch a 7lb 11oz fish on halibut pellet on the town stretch in Hereford during a summer flood. Brilliant fight and great looking fish. What brand of Avon Float are you using in the photos?

Sportsman

I am sure you are right Buck, but life is too short and fishing time is too rationed, at least mine is.

Trailblazer

Account Locked
That looks great sport catching Barbel on the float Trailblazer. Might hunt out an Aventa Pro. Only fished for Barbel once and was lucky to catch a 7lb 11oz fish on halibut pellet on the town stretch in Hereford during a summer flood. Brilliant fight and great looking fish. What brand of Avon Float are you using in the photos?
I mooch about alot to catch 'em, but sometimes I can finnish up catching quite a lot of barbel in one spot, often mixed in with chub, dace, etc.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I have a TF Gear centre pin which is a thing of joy with the exception of the little spring that hold the ratchet either on or off. It would appear to be made of cheese. The replacement which replaced the first replacement has now broken.

MrBen

Site Supporter
Also got the TF Gear centre pin, is currently on a series 7 puddle chucker, use it for margin fishing with a method feeder, sounds of but works superbly as when the fish bolts off, it it's meet with minor resistance and the reel clicky thing let's out a delightful audible indication that fish on, then the fun begins.

Ivan heaphurst

I have two pins one used for ponds and close margin fishing and one loaded up for moving water. Like some of the pictures above of Barbel caught on the pin, for me fishing does not get any better than that. To be attached to a Barbel caught on a pin is like being hooked up to a mad dog on a long lead. Tell you what though lose control and it can knock your fingers to hell getting control of the fish again.

Trailblazer

Account Locked

Sorry bud, I didn't mention the float in my reply to you....the floats in those pic's are 3grm wire stemmed maver bolos. I do use other brands, such as Woodys avon bolos, Dave Harrel bolos also, but my favourites are Steve Maher carbon stemmed bolos. Depending on the river and conditions I use floats varying in size feom 2grm to 6grm, and use wire stemmed for faster water with a chop/riffle on it.