Thames feeder rod?

Irelanst

I'm just getting back into fishing and having moved to Oxford will be fishing the Thames a bit next year.

I'm looking for feeder rod recommendations, I have a Preston Supera which will be OK for the distance but at a maximum of 50g might be a bit light if the river's pulling? I'm looking to spend around £200. Also on the pole line, is it top 4s or 5s?

Any general Thames advice gratefully received!

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Drennan distance feeder,, or the preston distance master, would be my choice.

Silverfisher

The Thames around oxford is my local venue so I’m happy to answer any questions you have on it. Where abouts are you looking to fish?

As for feeder rods for it for the last couple years my grandads been using an 11ft acolyte ultra to good effect and I’m going to get one for next season as up to now I’ve been using a 10ft Shakespeare Mach wand which is a bit short. The Thames around here isn’t particularly big and flows slowly most of the time so you don’t need a particularly powerful rod, 1.5oz tips and 20-30g feeders is all we use most of the time.

adriang

The Thames around oxford is my local venue so I’m happy to answer any questions you have on it. Where abouts are you looking to fish?

As for feeder rods for it for the last couple years my grandads been using an 11ft acolyte ultra to good effect and I’m going to get one for next season as up to now I’ve been using a 10ft Shakespeare Mach wand which is a bit short. The Thames around here isn’t particularly big and flows slowly most of the time so you don’t need a particularly powerful rod, 1.5oz tips and 20-30g feeders is all we use most of the time.
I'd second this advice..I've recently moved to the area, but used to fish the upper reaches of the Thames a lot.

Recent trips I've been using a Drennan Avon, but using the quiver tip top section which pretty well equates to a med feeder.

Coupled with a few choices of push in tips they are becoming my go-to tip rod(s). Just bought a 4oz tip for it, caused by last Sunday on the Thames when it was belting through.

I've a few lighter options for when the river is slower and/or for tough sessions, as I'm typing this, I'm wondering if they will make it into my holdall.

Silverfisher

I haven’t braved the Thames since it’s been in flood, how did you get on when you fished it whilst up?

I think I’ll probably get a drennan avon quiver at some point for situations when a bit more power is needed, I use a John Wilson Avon quiver in such circumstances at the moment, but that’ll be a while away yet as need to get the feeder rod first!

adriang

I haven’t braved the Thames since it’s been in flood, how did you get on when you fished it whilst up?

I think I’ll probably get a drennan avon quiver at some point for situations when a bit more power is needed, I use a John Wilson Avon quiver in such circumstances at the moment, but that’ll be a while away yet as need to get the feeder rod first!
I've become a firm convert to push in tips and the flexibility they offer. I bought a pair of the avons for the Wye, but they have proven to be very versatile.

I've a few 'old school' feeder rods, with fixed tips (I wonder if they will see the light of day nowadays.

Sunday, we fished just below St Johns Lock, between Lechlade and Buscott. I blanked, my mate, who is a much better tip fisherman than I will ever be, had 4 small chub fishing tight against the trees on the far bank with a maggot feeder. It was rising while we were fishing, looking at the online data came up about 15cm. 2 blanks on the bounce on the Thames now..

Irelanst

Thanks for the replies, I’m pretty much covered at the lighter end of things but thought I might need an option if the river was high and pushing through a bit.

I’ll mainly be fishing the Oxford stretches, from Medley down to Sandford. The first match is Donnington in early January.

Silverfisher

I fish medley very regularly it’s the best stretch in my opinion, used to fish Sandford a lot not so much recently but I should do more as its a good stretch, have barely fished donnington due to awkward access but it is a good water by all accounts.

I can send you a PM with general info when I get the chance.

adriang

I fish medley very regularly it’s the best stretch in my opinion, used to fish Sandford a lot not so much recently but I should do more as its a good stretch, have barely fished donnington due to awkward access but it is a good water by all accounts.

I can send you a PM with general info when I get the chance.
Could you send to me also? I need to get more settled and all of my gear with me, but I'm keen to fish more around Oxford.

jasonb

Site Supporter
Thanks for the replies, I’m pretty much covered at the lighter end of things but thought I might need an option if the river was high and pushing through a bit.

I’ll mainly be fishing the Oxford stretches, from Medley down to Sandford. The first match is Donnington in early January.

which club match are you fishing..is it littlemore?

jasonb

Site Supporter
for the Thames you really need 2 feeder rods to cover summer and winter. something like a 12ft acolyte ultra and then when its up and pushing the acolyte 13ft distance feeder. bit expensive to do it that way. other companies such as cadence may be a better more affordable option.

if you want to carry just one rod free spirit do a nice 11-13ft

Irelanst

Maybe? I'm Steve Ireland, I've fished a few of the club matches on the canal and Cherwell

Irelanst

I've realised who you are too now Jason, how's the Wye been fishing, it's got to be better than the canal!!

Silverfisher

How does the oxford canal fish these days? It’s been 4 or 5 years since I fished it but would like to give it a go. Tried a few weeks ago but it was over its banks :(

Irelanst

I've only fished the canal on the Kidlington stretch. Pleasure fishing can be OK, lots of roach on punch and the chance of some decent skimmers. Matches at this time of year are peggy to say the least, The last club match was won with just under 5lb with a 4lb second and then everyone else was scratching for bits, I had 2 roach and 2 razor blade skimmers for about 3oz on punch. It was grim.