Thames at Runnymede Pleasure Grounds

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
Got a day off tomorrow and thinking of fishing the Thames from the bank for the first time. Looking on Google maps Runnymede looks like a good place with parking and good access. There is a bit of rain predicted but the river levels sites have it at normal levels.

Only fished the Thames once and that was a blank from a boat in the freezing cold. Going to be fishing for pike, on dead baits and if I can catch them lives as well. Plan to travel light and fish any slacks I can find moving every half hour to an hour.

Got 2 pints of red maggots to catch live bait, I have some dark groundbait and liquidised bread in the freezer, which would be best? I expect the river will have a fair amount of colour after all the rain or as the level is showing as normal will it be OK?

Any tips from the river guys would be great

thanks
Adam

Silverfisher

Don’t expect it to be at normal levels just because the site says it is. I’ve seen many a river show as ok only for it not to be when you get there, with the water table high from the floods at the back end of last year the rain we are getting this week will be pushing it up again. If it’s anything like it is up here in Oxfordshire it’ll be high and brown so even live bait gathering could be a challenge.

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
Don’t expect it to be at normal levels just because the site says it is. I’ve seen many a river show as ok only for it not to be when you get there, with the water table high from the floods at the back end of last year the rain we are getting this week will be pushing it up again. If it’s anything like it is up here in Oxfordshire it’ll be high and brown so even live bait gathering could be a challenge.
Do you think I'm wasting my time on the thames?

Silverfisher

It's probably worth a look but I can't imagine it's in a great state. If it's high and coloured but not too quick it may be worth dead baiting for pike or fishing a smelly bait for chub or barbel but I don't think the more traditional approaches will work all that well. Put it this way I've never known a tougher spell on it up here than we've had in the last few months. I haven't got out on it in months and from what I've seen, heard or read it hasn't fished consistently well since late October as its been up and messy or flooded probably 75% of the time since then.

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
It's probably worth a look but I can't imagine it's in a great state. If it's high and coloured but not too quick it may be worth dead baiting for pike or fishing a smelly bait for chub or barbel but I don't think the more traditional approaches will work all that well. Put it this way I've never known a tougher spell on it up here than we've had in the last few months. I haven't got out on it in months and from what I've seen, heard or read it hasn't fished consistently well since late October as its been up and messy or flooded probably 75% of the time since then.
Sounds like it's not ideal for a river novice. Maybe I should stick to a still water?

Silverfisher

Possibly is, worth checking with the local tackle shop. They'll know the state of things as well as if not better than anyone else.