Tench in Ireland

carp dundee

Many years ago I fished a small lake around Athlone area for tench. It wasn't a large lough more like a small estate type lake with reeds and lilies. No idea what it was called. Just wondered if anyone has any recommendations for a small tench lake in Ireland, doesn't matter where but preferably easily accessible.

griff06

Site Supporter
There must be lots ,that as never seen a maggot ,google earth .

explosive

Many years ago I fished a small lake around Athlone area for tench. It wasn't a large lough more like a small estate type lake with reeds and lilies. No idea what it was called. Just wondered if anyone has any recommendations for a small tench lake in Ireland, doesn't matter where but preferably easily accessible.
Hello, I know of a lake about 4 acres which is easily accessable, its near Sligo. I was digging in Ballymote and came across a lake called FIN LOCH. Here's my tenpence worth. Leaving Ballymote take the R293 North Westwards , take the left fork after the ESSO garage (EAGLES FLYING) (TEMPLEHOUSE ) road,. continue on until you reach the road junction , turn right here, you will drive over the river that comes from TEMPLEHOUSE lake. you will arrive at the R17 road, go straight over at this crossroad into L4601 KILVARNET CEMETERY at about 1.1/4 miles you will come to road junction, turn right and drive, you will see FIN LOCH on your left. You can only fish this roadside bank, ample parking places to be had, it is a popular venue, BALLYMOTE ANGLING CLUB hold matches but is not their water so you don't have to join their club. Fish here until your hearts content for TENCH, i have fished this on numerous occassions, 25 fish on worm best day, waggler rod, the pole is popular too. Maybe big BREAM it's said, but not seen any . This water is not very deep so there is plenty of weed, so beef up your tackle if you fish far out. TEMPLEHOUSE LOCH is a decent size loch and is fished mainly for the Bream. IF you stay at the big house the fishing here is included, otherwise B.A.C have the fishing rights, or did have?, if the ground is hard vehicle access is possible , if soft, it's a long walk. Generally fishing venues are thin on the ground in this area, Take the R293 North Eastwards until you come to a forked road, keep right, drive on, then you will come to ARDREA LOCH on your left, Bream and RUDD, parking is on the road which is narrow. Thats about it, maybe it will be useful to you.

dave55

Hello, I know of a lake about 4 acres which is easily accessable, its near Sligo. I was digging in Ballymote and came across a lake called FIN LOCH. Here's my tenpence worth. Leaving Ballymote take the R293 North Westwards , take the left fork after the ESSO garage (EAGLES FLYING) (TEMPLEHOUSE ) road,. continue on until you reach the road junction , turn right here, you will drive over the river that comes from TEMPLEHOUSE lake. you will arrive at the R17 road, go straight over at this crossroad into L4601 KILVARNET CEMETERY at about 1.1/4 miles you will come to road junction, turn right and drive, you will see FIN LOCH on your left. You can only fish this roadside bank, ample parking places to be had, it is a popular venue, BALLYMOTE ANGLING CLUB hold matches but is not their water so you don't have to join their club. Fish here until your hearts content for TENCH, i have fished this on numerous occassions, 25 fish on worm best day, waggler rod, the pole is popular too. Maybe big BREAM it's said, but not seen any . This water is not very deep so there is plenty of weed, so beef up your tackle if you fish far out. TEMPLEHOUSE LOCH is a decent size loch and is fished mainly for the Bream. IF you stay at the big house the fishing here is included, otherwise B.A.C have the fishing rights, or did have?, if the ground is hard vehicle access is possible , if soft, it's a long walk. Generally fishing venues are thin on the ground in this area, Take the R293 North Eastwards until you come to a forked road, keep right, drive on, then you will come to ARDREA LOCH on your left, Bream and RUDD, parking is on the road which is narrow. Thats about it, maybe it will be useful to you.
Hi about ten years ago we went to fish fin lough and were told by a local that foreign poachers had taken most of the decent size fish , whether this was true or not i dont know so we never bothered to fish it

explosive

Poaching has been a problem for many years now, FIN LOCH does fish well i think it's popularity has made it difficult for poachers this day and age. The angling club regularly checks it out. I have been happy with my catches at this loch and with the size of the Tench. There are several FIN LOCH'S in the republic! have you got the right one ?.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
There is a small club run lake in County Laois, (pronounced leash) called Rathadaire Lake. they have a face book page and the lads running it are very friendly and helpful .

swimmer

swimmer

Carn lough near belturbet is full of tench also Mill lough at Milltown, I had 44 in a session there a few years ago

Pclaret

Rathadaire is ok but was very shallow last year and riddled with weed growth, the lads are a good bunch though, ballinakill near abbeyleix is a day ticket water that has lots of tench, also on Facebook

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Here's a canal at Abbeyshrule stuffed full of Tench 15 miles from Athlone I'v fished, very good.if you were heading from the south cross the first river/bridge, veer of to the left so you are crossing another bridge/the canal, take a sharp left on the little slip road, and park up there, you can see some buildings in the picture, that's a farm, walk a little past that and that's where I'v had non stop tench fishing, much easier fishing than the big loughs and enjoyable on the pole.

abbeyshrule.jpg

Tonybacca

Carn lough near belturbet is full of tench also Mill lough at Milltown, I had 44 in a session there a few years ago
hi swimmer this mill lough at mill town i cant find it. is it in milltown have found mill lough next to killeshandra allso known as portaliff or something is that the one thanks mate.tony

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The lake you mean I think is actually nearer to Mullingar but I cant remember the name at the moment as its a very long time since I fished it possibly 40 years.

nutmeg

Maybe lough Patrick, my favorite tench venue, but only one fishing platform thats big enough for two anglers.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
had some nice big Tench in lough Bridget in county clare, but you have to be there before or at day break 3 am and the tench fishing is finished by 8 am when the sun is bright, red strawberry corn was best bait on that one.