Tamas Walter Slider Floats

Status
Not open for further replies.

mocnscott

finally a winner
Hi I am refusing to get the pole out on a local stillwater this year. It's a water I will probably fish quite often and I am convinced that I will be better off on the slider and it is a method I have long wanted to try. Also it's a bit more relaxing to hold a rod than a pole. I have had a look around and I really want to try the Tamas Walter world champion floats. Has anybody got any testimonials on these floats?

The water is probably between 6ft and 20ft (I expect), does anybody know what size float I would need for what depth as a rough guide?

I really am new to slider fishing I've got everything but the floats gear wise but don't really know any general guidelines other than a couple of articles I have read in magazines.

Does anyone know where I will be able to get hold of some of these floats on mail order? I work through the day and don't get time to phone the distributors I have found during the day.

Any responses will be appreciated.

Scott

ren72

you can get the floats from benwick sports, I've used benwick a few times with no probs. I'd try the 8g straight for starters, hope this helps

andrewm

Account Locked
benwick sports do a range of drake sliders which are supurb value and good quality as the walters are to expensive for my likeing.

mocnscott

finally a winner
I knew about Benwicks, I will try and find 5 minutes today to order some. Thankyou rfor your replies.

dave brittain 1

The slider is a method that too many people over complicate and don't fish often enough to understand the basics.

The most essential piece of kit is the float and to be honest most of the shop bought floats, especially the continental floats with heavy loadings aren't right for the job.

The float should be a large boddied waggler, (the Drake ones are good), that will take a minimum of 6AAA.

Buy some heavy fly fishing lead wire and adapt the float by winding the lead around the stem of the float above the eye so you have aproximately 1cm of lead wire above the float eye. Glue the wire into place and smooth over it with thin layer of araldite.

This should give you a light loading around the base of the float which will be close to 0.5 gms. The purpose of this is to keep the float tight to the ollivette when you cast which will stop the float leaving the ollivette when casting which is the main cause of tangles.

Weight wise you should use a minimum of a 4 gram ollivette. This will help to balance the rig, (you are casting a big float), and will also help to cock the float correctly, giving you sufficient weight to sink the line against which is essential when it is windy.

Rig wise the ollivette should be approx 3ft above the hook. I tend to use 3 No 10's or 3 No 8 droppers when fishing slow moving venues such as the Yorkshire Ouse or the River Tees which are both big rivers varying from 8-22 ft deep.

I normally place the 1st dropper 12ins above the hook with the other two droppers and the bulk at 10 in intervals above the first shot.

If it's windy and you are getting tangles dont hesitate to remove one of the droppers.

One of the essential aspects of slider fishing is you have to cast very smoothly, (always downstream on a river), and feather the line softly to ensure that everything lands in a straight line.

It is essential that the float should always sit on the ollivette when casting, (top and bottom sliders are different), because if you have two separate bulks of weight, the rig will try to cartwheel or the float will try to spin up the line, both of which will cause you tangles.

If the wind causes problems dont be afraid to put a bigger float on. Ive often used floats that take a 6 gm ollivette plus my locking shot and droppers.

Status
Not open for further replies.