Tackle that hit the spot.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Seeing as the weather is pants and the opening of the rivers is probably knackered with floods ....tell me what piece of tackle from any era you got hold of and instantly thought Wow this is so much better than everything else I have tried.
I will start the ball rolling with the ABU Cardinal 44X sometime in the 70s this reel just exceeded expectations after being brought up on Mitchells and Intrepids etc which felt like a bag of spanners compared to this worm drive masterpiece only superceeded in the 90s by the original Shimano Stradic.

Total

Site Supporter
So many favourites, tough question. :unsure:....Probably any of my Shimano reels......

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
My first ever fibreglass landing net handle. Shakespeare it was. Three piece telescopic. I thought I was the bees knees. My first carbon 13' float rod, but, they named it a ' match ' rod so that made it much more flashy. Stiff as a bloody poker and I bounced more fish off on the strike but, I didnt care. 😲

Total

Site Supporter
@ukzero1 ....^^ I can understand that mate....My dearly departed Father had one(y)......It still gets a run out a couple of times a year in his memory. :)

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@Total

When they came out in our local tackle shop, Got one without any hesitation, and the looks of envy when I fished a match 2 days later with it made me chuckle a bit. I was the only one on the bank to have one.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Yes, my Shimano's are cracking reels to use, but when I use one of 440A's it just brings memories flooding back.
You remember the plastic pots that the mitchell spare spools came in Pete ? Well, my dad would sit me down with one of those full of maggots and hed say .... When youve used all of those we are going home. Funny, after 6 hours I still had half a pot left. I never wanted to go home. 😆😆😆 Still the same now ..... Tight git. 👍

ukzero1

Site Supporter
You remember the plastic pots that the mitchell spare spools came in Pete ? Well, my dad would sit me down with one of those full of maggots and hed say .... When youve used all of those we are going home. Funny, after 6 hours I still had half a pot left. I never wanted to go home. 😆😆😆 Still the same now ..... Tight git. 👍
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I'm the same mate, I still use floats I made some 20-odd years ago. I do have some new ones but for some odd reason I still go back to those old ones.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
@tipitinmick

Forgot to add, I have also got 2 spools of the original Racing Tortue Nacrita line, I don't throw anything away cos like you, I'm a tight git too.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
@ukzero1 ....^^ I can understand that mate....My dearly departed Father had one(y)......It still gets a run out a couple of times a year in his memory. :)
I remember buying my first 840. My 440 was blue but, this was black. The retrieve was too fast even to fish single maggot. I used to get in more tangles but, dad didnt have one so, thats all that mattered. Have you seen the price of them now ? Some go for over £100. 😳

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Another of my 'old favourites' is a swing-tip rod, an Ernest Stamford 10 footer. made in Sheffield.

Total

Site Supporter
^^@tipitinmick .....It wouldn't surprise me at all Mick,...... "......class is permanent...." (y)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Another of my 'old favourites' is a swing-tip rod, an Ernest Stamford 10 footer. made in Sheffield.
Yep, dad still has his. Used it on Worsborough res for skimmers when you had to sit on top of the wall.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Brennan & Hickman box, carryall and rod holdall. Very smart. Smarter when I fastened an octoplus leveling system to it.

like you say ..... Theres so many things. 👍

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
a sea fishing rod

after years of trying to cast any distance with cheap glass rods,

I bought a Zziplex 2500 blank with a 4 foot carbon butt, had it built by the local shop to suit the multi's I had at that time (mitchell 602ap's) cost an arm and a leg, plus at least one bollock too

soon realised that i was holding, casting and fishing with one of the best beachcasters of all time and I was going to have to uprate my reels as well, ( to ABU 6500's)

still got it now after all these years, probably had 3 or 4 rebuilds in the time Ive owned it

smiffy

Probably my shaky sigma wand. All of a sudden I started to hit bites I’d never even seen before (y)