tackle shops

paul14

i am looking for a tackle shop within 20 miles radius of manchester, that have rods set up for a waggle not poles im not a pole man.im after a canal rod.

nejohn

Leigh bait and tackle would be a good starting point, they always give good advice and won't try to sell you something that doesn't suit your needs....good luck with the hunt for a canal rod though

NoCarpPlease

As nejohn says, you’ll struggle to find a true “narrow” canal rod in the new ranges (for the last 25 years). There is a recent thread on the subject with various ideas.

Sam Vimes

Assuming that this thread is essentially a follow on from the previous one about canal rods, have you made up a shortlist of rods you want to see?
I appreciate that it'll be way beyond your 20 mile limit, but you may be better served going to a shop that has a big choice on the racks, the closest candidate is likely to be Bobco. There's a reasonable chance that you could tour several smaller, local, shops and find nothing you'd really like to see. Don't count on finding any specific canal rods anywhere you might look.

In a similar boat a few years back, I bought the only option available to me. Then I got lucky and found an old second hand rod or a decent price. Since then, a couple of new alternatives came to market. Bar the odd Drennan that might be suitable, it's pretty unlikely that you'll find anything suitable without a bit of traveling. Cadence aren't stocked by shops. The Browning is only going to be in stock at a select few outlets. When I'm buying, it tends to involve a grand tour of local shops, buying blind, or biting the bullet and taking a trip to Bobco.

MarkW

Down in sunny Dorset we have the same problem, virtually every tackle shop will show you a Drennan match rod and that's about it. Forget ever seeing Tricast or Browning which I'd love to see. A mate is a Colmic rep. so I suppose he'd demonstrate a Colmic rod and yet to see Cadence. Go Outdoors has cheap Garbolino and Shakespeare rods.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
If you find anything near what you want grab it, canal rods are like hens teeth now, even the Browning sphere version is no longer in their catalogue probably because the £200+ price tag put people off what is essentially a very niche rod anyway.
There were plenty sold in the 80s/90s so will still be out there somewhere so its just a case of finding one that suits you.
Ring around some of the bigger shops possibly Benwicks as they may have a relic tucked away in the back.

nutmeg

I have a couple of older waggler rods tucked away, the daiwa amorphous whisker 13ft waggler, and a Leeda blue diamond 13ft waggler which is a really nice rod. I kept meaning to get fuji reel seats fitted, but l nevr found anybody local to me who was willing to do them, maybe one day.

nutmeg

There is a nice tackle shop very near to Stockport train station, called Edgeley sports and fishing tackle, well worth a visit, and very close to Manchester.

Yuccaman

Jack of all trades...
Staff member
Site Supporter
The rods I use for that light canal type fishing are all 90s. I have a DAM light quiver tip and also a 12ft DAM canal rod, neither of which I think I would find easy to replace. Even the rod I use for trotting on the Trent a 13/17ft is getting on for 20 years old now. I think what I'm saying is that if you want an out and out traditional light canal rod, you might be best buying one secondhand.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
How would you define a canal rod?
Just curious?
How big and deep is a canal?

Sam Vimes

How would you define a canal rod?
When they were a bit more common, they were typically 11/12' light actioned float rods. Some had spliced tips, some didn't.
I've barely fished a canal in my life, but I do like a light actioned float rod for stillwater silvers, especially those with a barbless only rule. A softer rod means far fewer bumped fish.

nejohn

Had a waggle of the 12ft light version of the garbolino essential yesterday looks very promising for a canal rod or small river stick float rod, nice quality and the action was nice and fast but the tip section very soft... Think I may be investing in one

Sam Vimes

Had a waggle of the 12ft light version of the garbolino essential yesterday looks very promising for a canal rod or small river stick float rod, nice quality and the action was nice and fast but the tip section very soft... Think I may be investing in one
Looks like a slight revamp of the Altima, which weren't bad at all. Nice to see that the light variant is less than 13'. Suits my preferences nicely.

nejohn

Looks like a slight revamp of the Altima, which weren't bad at all. Nice to see that the light variant is less than 13'. Suits my preferences nicely.
I think you might like it, the 13ft seemed a little lighter and crisper actioned than the what I recall the the 13ft Altima to be
It will fill a gap my collection and I have a couple of swims on the Monnow that it would be very useful for

frankg

Site Supporter
i am looking for a tackle shop within 20 miles radius of manchester, that have rods set up for a waggle not poles im not a pole man.im after a canal rod.
Take a leap of faith and get a Cadence CR10 11'#1 Match Rod. Perfect for canal float fishing.

Here's the description.....

A wonderfully versatile rod, brilliant for targeting silver fish on canals and stillwaters, light pellet waggler work on commercials, plus a great small river rod. Forgiving but with a beautiful, progressive fast taper action, breaking down into two pieces so it can be left assembled in a ready rod bag.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
... I do like a light actioned float rod for stillwater silvers, especially those with a barbless only rule. A softer rod means far fewer bumped fish.
That makes total sense, thanks Sam! (y)
And no 500lb bags of carp involved, presumanly?

Sam Vimes

That makes total sense, thanks Sam! (y)
And no 500lb bags of carp involved, presumanly?
Good lord, no. However, I actually find that I land more carp on the venue I tend to use this kit (really light action rod/3-4lb mainline/1.5lb(ish) hooklengths/18, 20, 22 fine wire hooks) than if I use heavier (actioned) rods and stronger line/hooks. The only snag is that you need some space and quite a bit of patience if a carp does turn up. It also makes the odd carp intrusion rather entertaining. The fine wire hooks invariably open out before any line breakage occurs if it becomes necessary to attempt to stop them at all costs.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
And you have a lot of fun in the process, no doubt! :p