Tackle Security - Trackers

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've been trying out a tracker recently following my previous purchase which turned out to be a waste of money, and here is one I have found which ticks all the boxes and is accurate...

1. Size wise - easy enough to hide within your box or luggage, plus magnetic so sticks firmly to anywhere metal.
  2. Can also be placed loose in holdalls, etc
  3. Cheap to run - purchase cost plus Sim card top up (£10 for a long time, see below)
  4. No monthly or annual contract
  5. Accurate to within 3-4metres
  6. Waterproof, so will withstand rain and outdoor use
  7. Good battery life - expected 90-180 days between charges depending on how you set it up
  8. Inbuilt shock sensor - you get a text when your tackle is moved, it's that sensitive
  9. Free App which gives you real-time information, route history, access to settings,
  10. The ability to geo-fence the device (set notifications if it leaves a set area)
  11. Easy to set up

Do a search on ebay for 'TKStar 915' (there is a slightly cheaper version 905 but which has less standby time) Cost approx £32-£36
    Call into any Carphone Warehouse and get an 'O2 Classic sim card' with £10 top-up - the top up lasts for up to three years as long as the sim is used once every180 days. (Texts cost 2p)

Total cost - £42 to £46 with no ongoing charges

(I haven't specified an ebay seller, there are a few, however look closely and you will find UK sellers amongst them or if you are not in a rush and want to save a couple of quid, you can buy from China or Hong Kong)

In a nutshell, it won't prevent your tackle from being stolen but if it is taken you will be alerted and also have the means to track it in order to recover it. Obviously you would want to report it's theft to the police, and would want to advise them where to go to recover it.
    Do not just turn up with a couple of heavies and demand it is handed over or extract it from the scrote(s) with excessive use of force.

Enjoy
    :)

Last edited:

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
That seems a decent bit of kit.

Do not just turn up with a couple of heavies and demand it is handed over or extract it from the scrote(s) with excessive use of force.
Enjoy
:)
But that takes away some of the fun. ;)

fishingmad123

Regular Dude
Account Locked
what sort of range does it have if your tackle was took to the other end of the country would it still be accurate to 3m ?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
what sort of range does it have if your tackle was took to the other end of the country would it still be accurate to 3m ?
If it works over GPS, then it should be o.k. over distance.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It works with GPS and GPRS

"Working based on existing GSM/GPRS network and GPS satellites, this product can locate and monitor any moveable equipment by SMS, APP and Internet. It has the newest advanced technology of GPS and GPRS dual positioning"

The SMS message received contains a link on Google Maps showing it's location when disturbed or out of Geo Location if you've set it.
The APP shows its real-time location, history, and various other options

You can control its settings by SMS or via the APP

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
Has anyone on here got something similar, with some info. Funny we have not had anyone on here with one. If they work well worth the money.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've got the one above in my review John.

I showed a few people it at Steve's charity match at Lindholme Lakes. It was in my pole holdall and when I viewed the app on my phone it showed it's location at the side of the lake, at least 600 yards from a road and in the middle of nowhere.
Once it refreshes it then loads the phone's location into the screen s you can then see where you are in relation to the tracker.

You can also send text message instructions to the tracker so that it will alert you if it is moved, or moved out of a certain area.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I charged once in May and once two weeks ago as the battery had gone down to 40%

slaner

Site Supporter
just a follow up from seeing daves in action, maybe I should of re worded that !got one off ebay £32 took me a while to get it up and running but what a great bit of kit it is, 6 month battery life before it needs a re charge real time tracking and rings your phone when shaken/moved etc,

slaner

Site Supporter
that's the sim I put in it after spending hours trying with some old Vodafone ones I had and it works perfect so for £42 (£32 for tracker and £10 credit on sim) im up and running and a little peace of mind when my tackle is in my van.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
that's the sim I put in it after spending hours trying with some old Vodafone ones I had and it works perfect so for £42 (£32 for tracker and £10 credit on sim) im up and running and a little peace of mind when my tackle is in my van.
Don't you have to make a call every so often to keep the sim active ?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It has to have some activity every 180 days to remain active and that can be a text from the tracker

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
The battery on mine needed charging, heck me that siren to alert ya is a bit sharp, i was running round hiding stuff thinking i was getting Busted ;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Tutorials and Guides 0
Dave Fishing Talk 22
Dave The Golden Peg 2
Dave Fishing Talk 13
Y Fishing Talk 27