Superglue

Krh57

Site Supporter
If superglue is used on knots or whippings does it damage the nylon line ?

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Any knot tied correctly for the intended purpose should not need chemical help to hold. If a knot slips then it's 1 of 2 things, if it's the right knot it's not been tied correctly or it's the wrong knot.

Krh57

Site Supporter
Cheers Tinca, my only problem is with whipping small hooks to light lines. Then during fishing the line twisting around from the front of the spade to the back !

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Going old school , dip the shanks of your hooks into varnish, allow to dry. This gives your line something to grip if whipped tight.
In many years gone by when l used to fish winter leagues l tied 30's to 8oz bayer.

Oldmech

I remember back in the 70s Ivan Marks had regular features in Angling Times and on one bream feature he said after tying the hook he applied varnish to the knot and then when dry snipped the spade end off the hook, can't remember his reason for that maybe presentation or to reduce line spin as spades were quite big back then. I often put a dab of super glue on a spade knot and have never had any problems.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
You are correct in the assumption that the spade caused spin ups so yes we did snap them off. A lot of the shop bought pretied had no spade and were dipped into varnish to stop rust.

Phoenixicus

The educator
Could have possibly removed the spade due to having batches that were cutting through the line.
Although the hook makers then were masters of their trade they still had their problems.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
To stop the original problem occurring. After tying the knot grip the tag end with a pair of pliers and the hooklength in your hand and pull tight. Then grip the bend of the hook with the pliers and pull the hooklength to snug everything up against the spade. Once tight the knot should not revolve around the shank.

dumdum

Site Supporter
To stop the original problem occurring. After tying the knot grip the tag end with a pair of pliers and the hooklength in your hand and pull tight. Then grip the bend of the hook with the pliers and pull the hooklength to snug everything up against the spade. Once tight the knot should not revolve around the shank.
If it’s anything under 0.13 measured which you dont generally use Neil you simply can’t do that as it will just snap, you can only get whippings so tight which is why it’s often light stuff that suffers damage tying and moves in use 👍🏼

When whipping your spade do you whip from the spade down or the bend of the hook up? And why do you feel you need glue OP?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I use the method described on all spade hook rigs. That means 0.06 on the canal, 0.10 in Winter on commercials.

I wouldn't recommend something I don't do without clarification that for me it is theory only.

Krh57

Site Supporter
Dumdum, I whip bend up to spade, to be truthful never tried the other way ! I originally asked to see if it would stop line twisting from front to back of spade !
Thanks for all the replies

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Hooks to nylon in the 60s and 70s were "dubbed" instead of a knot which was a slightly grooved shank with the line parallel then whipped in place with tying silk and varnished,no eye no spade so very neat.
I still have a load of Mustad trebles in this shank style certainly several hundred if anybody fancies going back to a traditional whipped pike trace.
I got them years ago when I bought out a wholesaler that was closing (J Burton and co Preston) so they would be cheap.

dumdum

Site Supporter
Dumdum, I whip bend up to spade, to be truthful never tried the other way ! I originally asked to see if it would stop line twisting from front to back of spade !
Thanks for all the replies
Try it the other way, needs les whippings and the knot is lots lots neater! Takes a bit of practice but well worth it :)