Sturgeon

The Landlord

Site Supporter
One of those random facebook articles just popped up on my newsfeed about Sturgeon. The lake that myself & Pokerstar fish regularly is supposed to have a couple but I've never seen one caught yet. Anybody else ever caught them?

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Chequertree fishery in Kent used to have Sturgeon in, I had a couple around the 8lb mark out a good few years ago. They certainly pulled a bit. :upthumb:

Dusty Rhodes

There’s a 30lber in a local lake to me which comes out a few times a year.
Seen them come out of the Trent too in recent years.
Up until around 100-200 years ago there were monster sturgeon in our rivers.

toryboy

Yea there is a place towards parbold but I can't remember the name at the min.

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
One of those random facebook articles just popped up on my newsfeed about Sturgeon. The lake that myself & Pokerstar fish regularly is supposed to have a couple but I've never seen one caught yet. Anybody else ever caught them?

The 4 ounce carp beat them to it every time!

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
Chequertree fishery in Kent used to have Sturgeon in, I had a couple around the 8lb mark out a good few years ago. They certainly pulled a bit. :upthumb:
still has

gobby had one on during a match last winter, fishing through the ice

took him twenty mins to get to the net, weighed around 14 to 15lb

craic was, he had to put it straight back in, none to be put in your keepnets, dont count towards your total

how we chuckled

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The one near Parbold was called Woods Farm but it was sold and became Beacon View, not sure how many are left in there as the Environment agency wanted them removed. Several of the small fisheries in that area were stocked by a fish farm in the area which has since closed down.
People seem to have lost interest in them a bit now as Wels Catfish are the chosen exotic stock currently.

Paul Blank

hi had 2 in france fight as i have never seen more time out of water than in it

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
My dad has had two on two seperate occasions from Risby going out towards Walkington. First was about 4lb the second was about 6lb but, in the match lake they are supposed to go 10 to 15lb.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Aston Park Fishery at Sheffield also have them in a couple of the lakes.

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
There's one in a very small 'lake' in Leeds; day tickets via Red Leader :p:p:p

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've a 20lb+ one in my garden pond and having seen the power of 'Steve' I'd shudder to think what would happen if you actually hooked it

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Id rather Hook Steve than that Horrible Lipless Reptile from Jockland.

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
Never caught one, but have heard about one coming out the Trent before, I'm guessing one that outgrew somebody's pond.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I quite like the fight they give. I've only caught one (7lb'er), but it gave a right scrap.

Sportsman

When I lived in northern France I used to fish for them quite regularly. PB around 45lb That was fishing on basic carp gear.
Once hooked one on the pole when I was tench fishing. There was only one in the lake, it had been stocked the week before at 24lb. I had it on for about 10 minutes, then it woke up, came out of the water like a Polaris missile and decided to visit the far side of the lake. Notice I said hooked rather than landed.
There are a few in the lake I fish these days, biggest around 20lb, but haven't seen one out yet.
My favourite fish to catch, just for the fight.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dave Fishing Talk 26
62tucker The Club House 12
C Fishing Talk 5
Dave The Club House 70
Dave The Video Lounge 3