Stupid question - bites

Macca81

Fished yesterday and it was about 2ft in my margin swim, was a fish a chuck but nearly every bite the float was just moving along the surface as the fish swam off, not going under. What am I doing wrong? Too heavy a float?Too far over depth? Was catching all kinds of fish skimmers,crusians,tench,roach etc but all produced the same sort of bite had me baffled

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
If you're catching fish why worry? Seriously though, if there's only two feet of water the float's not going to go down as there's too little water for the fish to go deeper and take the float down. At least that's my theory. Someone will be along shortly to explain it better than I.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Let's see now, hmmm...e=mc2 over 1 third. multiplied by the angle of the dangle..allow for the following breeze...Yes @RedhillPhil, you are correct. :LOL:

Fred Davis

The obvious answer is to shallow up, which should give you more actual bites and so therefore increase your catch rate as you are hitting the bites as you get them not waiting until the fish swims off, don't be afraid to try fishing at half depth as this can be a great tactic in margin pegs however the old adage should always be applied if you are foul hooking fish or not getting proper bites shallow up an inch at a time until you get positive indications, if all else fails you can always revert back to the way you are catching, always ask yourself the question how can I improve on my catch rate and experiment for 5 or ten minutes.

Macca81

Definitely not line bites cos I was hooking them and all in the mouth, was just more difficult to hit the bites.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Float should certainly go under in two foot of water. At least my experience of fishing margins extensively tells me that.

Two reasons why not. First is that the float is well undershotted. You still need to dot a margin float down as you would in open water. And don't be afraid to put the bulk of shot ten inches from the hook. Float should be no more than 0.2g. For that size I would put two No.6 shot just above the ten inch hooklength I favour. For a little more finesse I use 7 No.10s an inch apart starting on the hooklength join.

Second reason will be depth. Too far over and the initial bite, the fish sucking in the bait, will not register. Go two inches overdepth or less. The bite should result from that and not just the fish moving off, though that will happen also and is what causes the dramatic sail away bites. But sometimes the fish will sit still and so it is the sucking in you need to see register and that will bury a correctly shotted float set to the correct depth.

Fred Davis

Not suggesting line bites as the fish are picking up the bait and then swimming off with the float moving sideways to indicate the bite however to get a clearer indication shallowing up so you get a bite as the fish sucks in the bait may have speeded up your catch rate.

Macca81

Float should certainly go under in two foot of water. At least my experience of fishing margins extensively tells me that.

Two reasons why not. First is that the float is well undershotted. You still need to dot a margin float down as you would in open water. And don't be afraid to put the bulk of shot ten inches from the hook. Float should be no more than 0.2g. For that size I would put two No.6 shot just above the ten inch hooklength I favour. For a little more finesse I use 7 No.10s an inch apart starting on the hooklength join.

Second reason will be depth. Too far over and the initial bite, the fish sucking in the bait, will not register. Go two inches overdepth or less. The bite should result from that and not just the fish moving off, though that will happen also and is what causes the dramatic sail away bites. But sometimes the fish will sit still and so it is the sucking in you need to see register and that will bury a correctly shotted float set to the correct depth.
Thanks Neil, was using a .4 float so maybe too heavy, was only about 1 inch or two overdepth so nothing drastic

Silverfisher

Whenever that’s happened to me I’ve been over depth when a cast drops short so I’d assume that’s your issue.

map

Personally I'd be looking how long the hooklength was and how did you shot the float (how close was the nearest shot to the hook). Also what bait was you feeding and what was you using as hookbait ????

Macca81

Personally I'd be looking how long the hooklength was and how did you shot the float (how close was the nearest shot to the hook). Also what bait was you feeding and what was you using as hookbait ????
Was using a 4 inch hook length with a bulk and 2 droppers, bottom shot right above the hooklength. I was feeding groundbait and dead reds through the pot and fishing either live or dead maggots on the hook

map

bulking all your shot may have helped with a more sail away bite.

Macca81

Did try that map but bites were exactly the same, back tomorrow for round 2 try a lighter float and maybe shallow up a bit

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Not a stupid question at all and you have probably hit on the answer in your last post,lighter float thinner top and dot it down as low as you can my margin floats are mostly .1 to .3 maximum unless its a really deep margin.
If you plumb carefully enough and it is a narrow margin try fishing at the top of the slope where it levels to the shallow margin by flicking the rig out and holding it so it settles against the slope rather than dropping it in on the flatter bit then tailor your feeding so most stops on the flat bit but some trickles down the slope and your bites will be more positive plus the fish when hooked will bolt away from the margin.

Macca81

Why would putting a big pot in every now and again cause this? I thought this would keep them on the bottom rather than loose feeding and having fish at all depths

Macca81

Not a stupid question at all and you have probably hit on the answer in your last post,lighter float thinner top and dot it down as low as you can my margin floats are mostly .1 to .3 maximum unless its a really deep margin.
If you plumb carefully enough and it is a narrow margin try fishing at the top of the slope where it levels to the shallow margin by flicking the rig out and holding it so it settles against the slope rather than dropping it in on the flatter bit then tailor your feeding so most stops on the flat bit but some trickles down the slope and your bites will be more positive plus the fish when hooked will bolt away from the margin.
Will definitely try this tomorrow, the flat of the margin is only about 8inch before the slope, only thing I couldn’t work out was I normally fish my margins in the same way and never had bites like this before, maybe the odd one but not every bite

Total

Site Supporter
Why would putting a big pot in every now and again cause this? I thought this would keep them on the bottom rather than loose feeding and having fish at all depths
Is your groundbait mix heavy (wet) enough?......Tried feeding more heavier particles? etc etc