Stripping down a phone

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Has anybody stripped and rebuilt their phone before?

The microphone on my Samsung S7 is faulty and I'm reluctant to change the phone as apart from that it does everything I need of it, a good tool, work phone, water proof, and compared to the newest incarnations, it's about the right size.

Sooooo, a search later and I've watched a couple of vids on Youtube, sourced the part on the bay of ee's, and parted company with £4.99 :D

So what could possibly go wrong :D ?

Fugley-fisher

Good luck, i hope you have a temperature controlled heat plate as the screens are bonded, best look up you tube before you go for it, i have the missus old phone to replace the charge port, even tho she has new one I'm still using my s7, does everything I need.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've seen a couple of videos where they use a hair dryer to heat up the backs of them to soften the adhesive

Total

Site Supporter
I haven't actually had a look at the fix you mentioned....If it's buggered now you've got nothing to loose...Might be a good idea to get your info' of the phone first....Take your time and be gentle with the prising etc and all should be well....

Fugley-fisher

Think there is a magic number that's where the temp controll comes in if memory serves 96.7, but if it's broke you can't break it any more, i do defo wish you all the best.

carphauler

You need a heat gun, pry tools and a suction cup, if you can release the back without breaking the glass the rest is straight forward I think.
I've stripped and repaired a few Nokia long ago but never tried anything modern.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I think the biggest problem you may have Dave, is getting it to be waterproof after you put it back together, providing of course, you get it back together😉😂

TrickyD

Site Supporter
"The microphone on my Samsung S7 is faulty" I could use a phone like that just between me and the Mrs, as I can never get a word in, so I won't need a microphone.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
you spent £4.99????? you planning on selling the tools afterwards or becoming a full time phone repairer so you can get value for your money?

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
how dare you! he is thrifty is all, or prudent or maybe stingy, canny, scrimpy, conserving BUT certainly not cheap or tightus

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I believe in recycling and upcycling - any other form of cycling is bad for you :p