Stretton lakes

Witches valley

Anybody been, any information?

Slivers lake,
Carp lake
Lodge lake
Match lake
Two small carp lakes

Any info of baits, meathods to try/avoid any areas to avoid/target. Any information appreciated, thank you.

Paul.P

Have fished the match lake since the place opened as its local to me. Loads of carp in there from stockies just over a pound to fish between 5-10lb, catch either right over to the island on pellet, corn or worm , or paste/corn /luncheon meat down the middle or margin. Also loads of skimmers in there. All I can tell you about the other lakes is there's plenty of carp in them all.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Anybody been, any information?

Slivers lake,
Carp lake
Lodge lake
Match lake
Two small carp lakes

Any info of baits, meathods to try/avoid any areas to avoid/target. Any information appreciated, thank you.
Which lodge are you looking at staying in? We have stayed in all 4 of their 5* lakeside lodges, Poppy is the oldest, but personally, I never seem to do that well on the lake it is on. Water lily, Bramble and Clover are all new and only those staying in those lodges can fish the lake they are on. Clover is on the end and you do get a lot of people walking past, so we didn't find it that private.
Fishing on that lake is excellent mainly Carp, up to I, would suggest 8lb I caught on method with band ums. The match lake is full of fish, casting between the islands, again on method. I have never fished the Carp or Silvers lake and it does seem to be more people in caravans that do, although there is nothing stopping you.

I found the other two lakes a bit hit and miss, so when we go just fish from the lodge.

If you want anything more specific, please ask. Also have a look at Eye Kettleby.

Witches valley

Which lodge are you looking at staying in? We have stayed in all 4 of their 5* lakeside lodges, Poppy is the oldest, but personally, I never seem to do that well on the lake it is on. Water lily, Bramble and Clover are all new and only those staying in those lodges can fish the lake they are on. Clover is on the end and you do get a lot of people walking past, so we didn't find it that private.
Fishing on that lake is excellent mainly Carp, up to I, would suggest 8lb I caught on method with band ums. The match lake is full of fish, casting between the islands, again on method. I have never fished the Carp or Silvers lake and it does seem to be more people in caravans that do, although there is nothing stopping you.

I found the other two lakes a bit hit and miss, so when we go just fish from the lodge.

If you want anything more specific, please ask. Also have a look at Eye Kettleby.
Bramble Lodge mate, it looks lovely I've never had a lakeside lodge with private fishing! Is it a little immature to be as excited as a kid:ROFLMAO: sounds good to be honest, with that report I'm glad we've booked the 5* lodges.

I was surprised to see the layout of the match lake, looks like a strange snake lake but it doesn't pay for all lakes to be the same, from @Scribe link it appears we will have some decent sport on it.

The lakes you have not had much luck on, was you fishing for carp? Is there lake where you can target tench, bream or other fish of reasonable size?

Chervil

Site Supporter
Bramble Lodge mate, it looks lovely I've never had a lakeside lodge with private fishing! Is it a little immature to be as excited as a kid:ROFLMAO: sounds good to be honest, with that report I'm glad we've booked the 5* lodges.

I was surprised to see the layout of the match lake, looks like a strange snake lake but it doesn't pay for all lakes to be the same, from @Scribe link it appears we will have some decent sport on it.

The lakes you have not had much luck on, was you fishing for carp? Is there lake where you can target tench, bream or other fish of reasonable size?
You get as excited as you want! It's a really nice location. Out of the three lodges on that lake, whilst all the lodges themselves are pretty much identical, I liked Bramble the best, it is out of the way and I was just about, getting a fish a chuck on method in the edge in front of the lodge or to the bank on the right, with the added bonus that I could just walk around the edge and put some bait in. The only slight problem I had, which hopefully will be sorted out by now, was the amount of tree branches close in the edge, where the trees had been cut back.
Basically I fished for anything I could get. I have only really had Carp and Skimmers out of the lakes, with some roach and, if I do remember correctly some small perch.
You can only fish from the lodge side of the lake and the far bank is much more over grown than in the pictures on the web site, so it is private.
If you are going to eat out, I can recommend the Jackson Stops in the village, but pre book. People also seem to like the Olive Branch, but I have never been.
There is wifi, but it is very slow and a bit hit and miss, as is the mobile signal.

Edit-Don't know your set up, but I normally take a couple of long banksticks to reach the bottom from the stage.

Tight lines

Chervil

Witches valley

I fished the carp lake all wrong mate. I'll be honest the quality of fisherman there was pretty low, I listened too some people and got some bad advice, but when I ignored all what was told, I did quite well. Mind you it was blowing a bloody hooley the day I fished it right in my face. Anyway the fish I caught in there was all in fantastic condition. There are some small perch in there, I mean small too I'd guess the birds have carried the eggs over from the slivers lake?

The caravan slivers lake at the top was rubbish, least said about that the better but the rest of the lakes was awsum. Cracking sliver fish fishing

Chervil

Site Supporter
I fished the carp lake all wrong mate. I'll be honest the quality of fisherman there was pretty low, I listened too some people and got some bad advice, but when I ignored all what was told, I did quite well. Mind you it was blowing a bloody hooley the day I fished it right in my face. Anyway the fish I caught in there was all in fantastic condition. There are some small perch in there, I mean small too I'd guess the birds have carried the eggs over from the slivers lake?

The caravan slivers lake at the top was rubbish, least said about that the better but the rest of the lakes was awsum. Cracking sliver fish fishing
Witches, I would have a look at Eye Kettleby as well.

Scribe

Site Supporter
I would echo @Chervil 's comment I fished lake 4 at Eye Kettleby and caught skimmer bream, nicely sized roach, perch & crucians, most coming from shallow water. Plenty of fish in great condition and nice to have a variety. Another bonus of Lake 4 at it's narrow end it's situated in a hollow and the banking shields you from the worst of any wind.

It may seem like it from my numerous post about the place, but I have no connection whatsoever to Eye Kettleby or the owners.

Witches valley

Not enough silvers only lakes in my opinion.
They don't tend to get used much when they are adapted that's why. This one was rubbish anyway mate, some quality sliver fishing in the other lakes mind you. When I return I will spend most of my week fishing for slivers, I think.

Witches valley

Witches, I would have a look at Eye Kettleby as well.
I've been there mate, I'm going to be honest it was a little too busy for me. I've never stayed there, if I had I might feel different, maybe I don't know? All that sticks in my mind was cars driving around the lakes with rods hanging out the windows and screaming kids. Fishing was good mind you.

Witches valley

I would echo @Chervil 's comment I fished lake 4 at Eye Kettleby and caught skimmer bream, nicely sized roach, perch & crucians, most coming from shallow water. Plenty of fish in great condition and nice to have a variety. Another bonus of Lake 4 at it's narrow end it's situated in a hollow and the banking shields you from the worst of any wind.

It may seem like it from my numerous post about the place, but I have no connection whatsoever to Eye Kettleby or the owners.
Nothing wrong with liking a place and being helpful to other fishermen mate. I might give it another shot maybe I've wrote it off a little premature?

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
They don't tend to get used much when they are adapted that's why. This one was rubbish anyway mate, some quality sliver fishing in the other lakes mind you. When I return I will spend most of my week fishing for slivers, I think.
I loved silvers only matches in winter 👍