Strength of Korum quick change beads

Simon90

I've just bought some Korum quick change beads in the standard size to use when fishing the method feeder. My first impression (apart from being very fiddly) is how little plastic there is around the hole where you tie your mainline.
Does anyone have any idea how strong they are? Has anyone ever had one fail on them?
Thanks in advance for your opinions

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
It will cost you one to ease your mind.
Hang one on 20lb line both ends then start adding weight bit by bit and see just how much it takes to break one.
Then get your scales and test the rod you are going to use.
I bet the beads win in the weight contest.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Your line will break long before the bead. You’d be surprised how strong some plastics are.

Rick123

I've wondered the same about some of the little swivels (size 11 type) we use to tie hook-lengths to or helicopter swivels. But never had a problem, maybe we worry too much?

Simon90

It doesn't look like I have anything to worry about. Thinking about it, I use either 6lb or 8lb mainline for feeder fishing, the plastic in the feeder bead is thicker and stronger than my line. I was just a little surprised when I first opened a bead up and saw the insides, it's tiny.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
You want to try breaking one to destruction.
It's amazing just how much weight it takes to break one. I tested some double swivels by hanging 20lb from one for 24 hours and they still span ok. There is not a rod out there that can put anywhere near that amount of pressure on a swivel.

Zerkalo

Drennan beads are advertised as having 20lb average breaking strain.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
It doesn't look like I have anything to worry about. Thinking about it, I use either 6lb or 8lb mainline for feeder fishing, the plastic in the feeder bead is thicker and stronger than my line. I was just a little surprised when I first opened a bead up and saw the insides, it's tiny.
When you say ' tiny ' .... You know there are two sizes available dont you pal ? Theres not a great deal in it but, I being a sausage fingered northerner prefer the larger type for method fishing. 👍

Silverfisher

I've used quick change beads of a few brands and whilst I don't use them very often as I find them a bit fiddly they do seem to be able to take a lot of strain.

Simon90

When you say ' tiny ' .... You know there are two sizes available dont you pal ? Theres not a great deal in it but, I being a sausage fingered northerner prefer the larger type for method fishing. 👍
If I get on with them, I'll give the large beads a go. Right now I need to get on the bank and try them out.