Stowe Pool - Lichfield

Trevor B

Site Supporter
Great result lads . Bodes well for the Charity Match on 4th August .

Trev

Goughybagsup1

Indeed trev ! The charity match has been extended by 6 spaces after council discussions. If anyone wants a space grab it before they sell out again.

davehinton

After today’s performance if I hadn’t got my name down it would be now. Got down there around 9 and decided to do a Gough approach and fill it in😳😳 first half hour was chucking a the feeder 50yards full of chopped worm, hemp and corn with sweet groundbait capping the ends. First chuck with worm and tip goes straight round, nice roach, 2 more quickly followed, then a skimmer appeared around 1lb👍🏻, indications started to slow so chucked another 15 feeder fulls out and the skimmers responded😁this was the pattern throughout the day the more I fed, the quicker the bites. I fed 2kg of groundbait, 1.5kg worm, 2 tins of corn, 3pints of hemp and a pint of maggot hard work getting through that in 4 hours but enjoyed it even though my arm is aching now😩 17 skimmers between 1lb to 1.5lb and 4 lovely roach, looking good at present, love the place

Total

Site Supporter
After today’s performance if I hadn’t got my name down it would be now. Got down there around 9 and decided to do a Gough approach and fill it in😳😳 first half hour was chucking a the feeder 50yards full of chopped worm, hemp and corn with sweet groundbait capping the ends. First chuck with worm and tip goes straight round, nice roach, 2 more quickly followed, then a skimmer appeared around 1lb👍🏻, indications started to slow so chucked another 15 feeder fulls out and the skimmers responded😁this was the pattern throughout the day the more I fed, the quicker the bites. I fed 2kg of groundbait, 1.5kg worm, 2 tins of corn, 3pints of hemp and a pint of maggot hard work getting through that in 4 hours but enjoyed it even though my arm is aching now😩 17 skimmers between 1lb to 1.5lb and 4 lovely roach, looking good at present, love the place
I think you might need to up the worms Dave! ;) :giggle:

chappo

Site Supporter
Round 3 of the poundland league coming up Sunday and a reminder of the league positions after 2 rounds
Long way to go and two good draws (or bad ones) can soon change things

Chappo 37 - juicy roach saved the day at Manor - sure to fall in Sunday - due for one
Lucas 35 - can draw better than Rolf Harris - if anyone will mug a bonus or draw a flyer he's your man
Jamie 20 - misses two bites at Manor while having an expensive piddle - hot favourite for Sunday
Dealer Dave 19 - Main sponsor up there on leader board - well prepared and ready to go
Rich 17 - shopping on day 2 - hen pecked again
Alan 16 - good points on canal and favourite venues still to come - here we go
Robbo 14 - didn't break a tip yesterday so a bonus - shopping Sunday
Trev - 0 - Remember to use bait in coming rounds - practiced all week on wrong river
Willy - 0 - hot favourite at Manor but crashes - in Ireland so will miss this one
Martin - 0 - spending too much time on social media to concentrate - dark penguin
Jesus John - 0 - blames commitments over Easter for lack of focus - different game Sunday
Sick note Wheeler - 0 points- starts his campaign this weekend

Just need a few fish now

chappo

Site Supporter
Round 3 on a private stretch of the Trent was, in classic Poundland style, a disaster fishing wise.
On a perfect river the shoals of dace and roach that normally frequent the stretch just hadn't returned and everyone was left trying to fish for bites in perfect conditions.
News had reached us that the Burton match was also a grueller - a sure sign that a low weight would win it.
And so it was - Alan on his favourite peg one had 3 big grayling and 4 other fish for a respectable 5 and a half pound with other struggling for bonus fish of any description
Two chub were lost by Martin and Andy at the net and Dealer Dave tried to swing two better perch on the whip that cost him dearly.
The rest, as they say, is history
Trev organised a great match again with cakes and trophies galore and the humour was fab - alas the fishing was awful.

League wise Chappo held top spot with a respectable second with a pound - small fish including a baby skimmer and Dealer came third with 15ounce Oh for some fish next time
Dealer was third and Andy scored good points for fourth below Alan
Lucas's prediction of 20 pound plus bags everywhere was a little optimistic and his 3 ounce catch looked lost in 2 nets

League to date

Chappo 56
Lucas 50
Dealer Dave 37
Jamie 36
Alan 36
Robbo 28
Andy 17
Rich 17
Martin 13
Trev 12
John Gaz and Willy - 0

It might look a runaway but its far from it - after the 6 matches you have to drop your worst 2 - with Stowe Coppice and the Trent still to come one or two disasters can change all that !

Goughybagsup1

Hopefully everyone is looking forward to the charity match on Stowe 4th August some amazing raffle prizes have been donated by the likes of Halkon Hunt, Ian's Tackle, Preston innovations and Nick Gilbert floats!

5 SPACES LEFT IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED CHECK IT OUT !!

chappo

Site Supporter
Bit of a bummer at Stowe yesterday evening following reports that an elderly gentleman who was swimming lost his life after drowning.
The recent spell of hot weather has resulted in a young man drowning in nearby Chasewater 2 weeks ago while trying to rescue a 9 year old and now this, Just a few days earlier kids were spotted in Stowe swimming too.
Having fished it forever its deceiving because the clear water gives the impression of it being shallow - not on your nelly - its probably 10 foot deep at 2 rods.
Well trodden path we all know but still a shame

Irony is that Lucas and Jamies charity bash on the 4th is for the local air ambulance - the very organisation who responded quickly to last nights tragedy

chappo

Site Supporter
Much better news - although the guy was reported as losing his life he is still alive in hospital albeit very poorly - good luck fella

Total

Site Supporter
@chappo.... Have witnessed/heard of similar sad happenings on my dock system over the years....5 deaths to my knowledge.....Over 30 foot deep straight down in places.....Bodies recovered, 200/300 yards from known point of entry.......Such a waste of life....

RIP Sir.....

chappo

Site Supporter
Morning Total
Horrible mate.
Some years ago, at our old home, we had a knock on the door at 7am on Bank Holiday morning - Easter it was.
There were 3 press people there asking if we could give them details about the young man next door Stuart - was he this was he that etc.
Stuart and his mate had drowned in Chasewater the evening before on his 18th birthday.
We had no idea and were horrified that even the local press were door knocking trying to get info on the poor lad at that early hour
Our good friends next door, Sue and Mick, never recovered from the loss of their only child Stuart and even to this day will break down when we meet them.
It was probably 30 years ago,,,,,,,,,,,

Chasewater is our equivalent of your docks by the sound of things buddy - a charming and inviting Rezza that takes the lives of many all too frequently.

Last edited:

chappo

Site Supporter
The local venues are all over the shop at the moment.
Stowe is typically fickle - Manor has still switched off - Oddys improving but still hard and the Trent awful.
Having spent 3 hours at Catton yesterday for 3 pound of bits it was weird to fish a river that was stuffed with dace and roach last year and nearly void this.
One regular said there have been sightings of an otter there but surely one wouldn't destroy a complete stretch?
Willy went to Staunton Harold and had a big weight of skimmers hybrids and perch but even that is up and down a bit.
Funny old game

Goughybagsup1

Well after a few quiet weeks on the fishing front next saturday the build up shall begin! A couple of pleasure sessions on Stowe for me next weekend I cant bloody wait to get back on there and find out where the fish are feeding.
Counting down my 5 days at work from 8am in the morning !!
Keep on bagging !!