Stone Age Digital Camera Card Reader?

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I've just rediscovered an ancient, well, 15 year old, Olympus C2000-Z
digital compact camera.

I got some good results off this light little camera, and I'd like to bring it back to life during my fishing trips.

It uses SmartMedia cards, about 3cm x 2cm n size, and I used to have a card reader which would take them, and plug straight into my my Mac using a lead. But I've lost it, or given it away at some stage.

Anyone have one of these old card readers they'd be willing to part with, or suggest a source for a new one?

Please?

[:)]

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Quick search of the web reveals lots of results for "smartmedia card readers".

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIYATEK-5-Slots-All-In-1-USB-2-0-HIGH-SPEED-CARD-READER-for-All-Memory-Card-NEW/401159794175

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I bought myself and both daughters one of these each.....it does all the cards including the SMC, i know because i found one from my old camera and tried it [:D]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/All-in-One-External-USB-Memory-Card-Reader-SD-SDHC-Mini-Micro-M2-SDXC-XD-CF-MS-/222424190306?epid=716845407&hash=item33c983cd62:g:~I4AAOSwTuJYtMwT

groundhog

Life Survivor
Site Supporter
[:)] Panic not Dave mate,there are a number of multiple type card readers available that will do the job, I was looking at a few only about 2 weeks ago, when I came across a canon pro 1 bridge camera that I have,I beleive it is a museum peice in canons camera history museum now,the card reader I had when I first had the camera packed up some time back,so I was looking to find one to read the old compact flash card,but then found I could just plug it into the usb on my PC and download the pics that way.[:T]
[:D][:D][:D]

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Banksy... you have a pm[:T]

dam

Site Supporter
Don't most modern laptops have a built in card reader, even this one I am using at the moment an older Acer at least 7 + years old has one.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Thanks to Arry, for his help -

it arrived today, and both the reader and my antique camera work!

My most recent purchase:

I know that Harry, at least, will know what this jewel is!

Thanks again H. A contribution will be made as suggested.

David.
[:T]

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
I have one of those cards, if you should need a spare, Dave.[:T]

Smart Media....ID 64MB.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Brian the Fish

I have one of those cards, if you should need a spare, Dave.[:T]

Smart Media....ID 64MB.
Thanks Brian, but I have a few cards, and shall only be using this camera for the odd snapshot while I'm fishing.

I'm surprised how much a 64Mb smart card is still fetching though - around 25 on Amazon.
When many of us now have cards in our mobiles which have about 1000 times that capacity! [:D]

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Aaah that looks suspiciously like a Hardy Altex no2 mkV...[:T]
Glad the reader arrived safe and well [:T]

Last edited: