Still in the stone age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenpix

ken
Perhaps I'm a bit out of date but I'm still using an alloy telescopic landing net handle, which has served me well for about forty years and landed fish to 21 lbs without trouble. Anyone else use one? I keep reading on MD stories of carbon handles (presumably cheaper ones) breaking.

pole addict

I've got my old alloy one as a spare

Use a cheap middy fibreglass/carbon one...strong as owt

groundhog

Life Survivor
Site Supporter
[:)] If you are on about the telescopic type that were green on the outside with a white nylon collar and brass thumb screw I still have one.[:T]
As they say if it aint broke dont fix it, carbon handles are lighter but the alloy were stronger all round.[:T]
[:D][:D][:D]

shang

Mines still an ally one. Black with a twist lock collar and probably too heavy for a net float to be of any use

[:)]

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
shang, you've hit the nail on the head as far as i'm concerned.

The lightweight carbon ones are in my mind for the matchmen and those who want to use a net float.....i'm happy using my alloy one [:)]

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Got an old alloy one, amongst others. Does the job just fine.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
I've had people ask to borrow my landing net in the past. I cann't believe folk go fishing without a landing net[xx(]

shang

With an ally handle there's not the fear of treading on it on slippery, muddy banks.

Dslayer

dslayer
Alloys are far lighter than fibre poles!
Looking for a decent extendable alloy pole that is lockable at all lengths up to 4 metres.

Col7777

That is all I ever use, I had a fibre handle snap on me once so went back to the alloy one.

JohnC

Always carry my dads old one with me as a spare! I find it easier to push a carbon one over the front of a platform (from my seat) because it does`t have a `step` on the joint.

hydro79

uncle fester
I have both, use the metal for my carp nets and the carbon for my spoon net, the carbon just feels too flexible.

Status
Not open for further replies.