Starting to get angry now.

Maverick

Site Supporter
Hello mate, Hope your well....(y)

......I had a chat on your behalf on the phone with management at AD...(y)......Their reply...."When the virus situation has settled down and things are back to normal, would you please bring the receipt for said maggots to your local AD and we will put this towards the cost of casting lessons for you......":oops:.....I hope this has answered your enquiry satisfactorily. ;):D

Regards to you all....Be safe pal. (y)
Great news mate. Thats what I call a result :D All's well here thanks and hoping it is with you and yours. Enjoyed a lovely day in the garden yesterday with the imediate family, cutting down a huge hawthorn tree and burning some old wood that had amassed over the winter months due to fence panels being destroyed in the storms etc.

The fire was raging all day, pissing the neighbours off and no doubt killing any corona virus that had dared to venture within a hundred meters of the house.

Topped the day off with a barbeque and more smoke. Perfect day who needs fishing? :ROFLMAO:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
"Yet I can’t go fishing on my own, on an empty bank with the chance of seeing another human being virtually zero. What a joke! "

You are not looking at the bigger picture - if every angler in the country said that and the restriction on fishing was lifted, do you think for one minute that you would be fishing on your own, on an empty bank without the chance of seeing another human being?
Just look at the weekends and bank holidays when on some fisheries you cannot move for anglers. The Trent as an example on the 16th June; you'll find that most popular swims are full of anglers. Commercial fisheries such as Lindholme (other fisheries available) can have upwards of 500 anglers on a Sunday in summer.

It's not a dry run, this is people's lives we are now talking about

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
What I personally find a bit selfish is the attitudes of those who are justifying their needs/right to go.
They are not giving any thought at all to the members on here whose family,relatives or people close to them who work in the health sector.

Members who are seeing the ones they care about do what they have to do,potentially put themselves at risk and are stressed as f&&k at the moment.

But hey they won't have the time to worry about you sat on your arses,tap tap tapping your keyboard and bleating about nothing - they have more important things to worry about.

1kingy

Never say never
Site Supporter
I can’t believe some of the comments I’m seeing on here, and Facebook............
Boris has put a control measure in place, after consulting his experts no doubt.
He will review it in a few weeks to see if it’s working or not, totally the right thing to do.
The way people are conducting themselves currently, he won’t have a clue if it’s working or not.
The outcome will be to extend the lockdown, and put other measures in place.
Then the moaners may realise just how critical this situation is.
Life versus fishing.............come on people wake up.

chris1967

Don't know what all this bleating is about, they've said no fishing so you can't go, simple as that, really do think having read some of the comments on here that some of you just like winding people up, cause you really can't be that stupid !
meh you have to occupy yourself some how

chris1967

Think everyone knows how grave the situation is ,but you are allowed to have an opinion just the same ,no matter how indifferent they are

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
With the nice weather my thoughts turned to fishing and I’ve popped into MD to see if any restrictions were in place, and I’m absolutely flabbergasted to find that a complete ban has been imposed. Over the last week in an effort to keep fit I’ve been on several Boris sanctioned walks (some along the canal) passing dozens of people along the way, frequented the local supermarket along with lots of other people because my family haven’t got any toilet roll to wipe their backsides with and seen trains and buses crammed with commuters on their way to and from work. Yet I can’t go fishing on my own, on an empty bank with the chance of seeing another human being virtually zero. What a joke!

I’ve read the thread thoroughly and appreciate everyones concerns, and granted, the point about crashing the car and/or having an accident, therefore impinging on valuable NHS resources is something I hadn’t taken into consideration. But come on, you can’t live your life thinking like that. If you’re lucky enough to survive this crisis that level of paranoia is going to seriously mess with your head.

Ultimately the government guidelines were brought in to stop people interacting but they know the importance of exercise which means people are still allowed to mix and frequent certain areas together. You’re allowed to shop, mingle with each other, touch surfaces and exchange money and people are still allowed to travel and work together. Fishing might not be considered an exercise but some of the walks to pegs are quite long and the enjoyment and overall feeling of well being it brings can’t be discounted. More importantly though, as a risk and danger to others going fishing on your own is practically non-existent and as such, given what you are allowed to do, a ban is ridiculous... ‘Imho’ of course.
Perhaps if you write to the Prime Minister and ask him for special dispensation for angling he may give you a note allowing you to go. Seriously, as I have said elsewhere, you cannot legislate for every sport and recreation. A blanket ban is the only sensible way. There are plenty of sports that could claim to be done in isolation.

Stop being selfish and think of the wider community.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Day three of restrictions and people are going into meltdown :)

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Not here Dave. Plenty of work in the garden, spent yesterday sorting out paperwork for a rest and change, mountain of shredding to do as a result. Shreddings get composted. Couple of blog ideas to work on, photos and diagrams to do. I won't be bored.

Perhaps it's easier for me as I retired 12 years ago so am quite used to being at home and having plenty of things on the go.

nutmeg

Its not that long ago that there was a total 3 month impossed closed season on all coarse fishing, in the majority most people accepted this, and started planning for where to go on June 16th. Yes we missed not being able to go, and moaned about not being able to go, but this was the law and also tradition. This ban at the moment is only for 3 weeks, it will most likely get extended, but its been put in place for the potential benefit of the many. We have to abide with this decision and not to be as selfish as all those morons who were stock piling basic essentials recently.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Also, if you think about it, not that long ago there wasnt the dependency on social media as there is today. People could just go about their daily business, odd-jobs, gardening, etc, without feeling the urge to check their feeds to see what everyone else was doing :)

Ivan heaphurst

It's not the sitting in the middle of bloody nowhere that's the problem.
As said above, it's the journey that potentially could cause the issues.
Also said above...
STAY HOME. PROTECT THE NHS. SAVES LIVES.
I agreee 100% with you. Pompous Git has well chosen non de plume.

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
It wasn’t that long ago that we had the 3mth close season on all lakes, rivers & canals & now some people are going into meltdown that they can’t go fishing for a few weeks. Get a grip ffs . If you’re that bored & want something to do, why don’t you do something worthwhile & volunteer to help others

juttle

Site Supporter
My wife is a nurse and stuck right in the middle of all this tish. I’ve been disabled and ill generally for the last 12 years so well used to self isolating, not by choice incidentally, and right now I don’t see my wife at all due to how hard she’s working. She’s 68 and shouldn’t be doing this but nursing isn’t a job it’s a vocation. The one highlight of my week was a morning’s fishing on her day off. Obviously I’m not doing that now and it’s a big part of my life just gone, albeit temporarily, so now I’m not likely to leave the house until this thing is over.

Thats fine, I can live with that, if everybody does as they’re instructed we will see the end of this.

The only thing that will prolong this war, because it is a war, is for selfish, arrogant dratsabs who consider themselves to be above the law, or know better than the experts, to keep acting as they are. They will allow this virus to propagate exponentially until it effects them directly when they just “might” see the error of their ways.

To all those who consider themselves above the law, do as you’re told and at least try to realise that there are other people in this country other than you.

The “ME, ME, ME” generation need to rapidly grow into adults, as they certainly haven’t managed it yet! (Oh, if this all sounds like a panic rant, it is, yes, I’m scared, I’m bloody terrified, and I don’t appreciate some arrogant dratsab trying to take my life. Am I taking this personally? Yes, damn right I am!)

GeoffW

Site Supporter
You will always get a selfish minority who refuse to accept a small sacrifice to their own lifestyle but are content to risk sacrificing someone else's life ☹

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
its pants, its annoying but its necessary.

I live 100yrds from the beach, I have a small amount of sea fishing gear and thought "ok me walking to the (mostly empty) beach to walk the dog and fish for a few hours is going to do no harm and ill get a bit of my fishing "fix"". I spoke to my Fiancee' about my plan, she shut me down immediately.....her argument was simply, "yep that's great for you and yes you will have little to no impact on anybody else or risk spreading or contracting the virus BUT if its alright for you what stops it being right for anybody else ? And will they have to travel ? How busy does the beach have to be to be a problem, how could anyone effectively police that you fishing walked there whereas someone else had to drive ?

In a nutshell she button holed the whole "selfish" approach we have. I do not consider myself an overly selfish person but she was right I was only thinking about myself. It didn't take me long to understand and dismiss the idea that we are (or should be) "In this together"

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
Perhaps we should feel sorry for these self styled viral experts and club together as much money as we can and buy them a brain cell to keep the one that they have company. Selfish, self opinionated, brain dead morons, that is all they are.
I bet if they get it they will be the ones moaning the NHS hasn't done enough.
Not very often anything winds me up but this one has, I saw a close family member die from COPD and that isn't nice and from what we are seeing this one is even worse.

Last edited:

62tucker

Site Supporter
Think of the 465 people who have already died. Many who will have had no idea how they caught it
Think of the 465 nearest and dearest who couldn’t hold their hands when they took there last breath
Think of the NHS staff who had to watch the pain and suffering of the dying. The pain and suffering of their families.
Think of all the support workers who have to deal with the aftermath of a death. A husband dying who was a sole carer who his wife or visa versa.
Think about A mam or dad losing their child.
Think about A child losing their brother or sister

Now think how fishing compare to the above.

Rjays 2

Chance to sort the Gardens out...then decorate...then sort tackle out...and to cap it off...when I need to go the shop..ZERO traffic...bliss