Starting to get angry now.

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
This morning ive registered to be a volunteer for GoodSAM along with about 400.000 others, so in the forthcoming weeks/months i could be asked to do a variety of jobs ie shopping, transporting patients to and from hospitals or delivering medical supplies(in my own vehicle) etc etc etc, reading some of the posts on this thread am i putting the N.H.S. at risk by travelling about maybe for hours each day or should i stay at home. :unsure:

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
There is still, I understand, no definite knowledge about whether a person who has had the virus and recovered is then immune.

Figures suggest that if 80% catch the virus and 15% of them require NHS treatment, that's 7 million. I can't see that. For a start I suspect at least 20% of the population outside London are, like us, hunkering down and prepared to do that for a year or more.

What is the current suggested mortality rate, overall?

Last edited:

62tucker

Site Supporter
This morning ive registered to be a volunteer for GoodSAM along with about 400.000 others, so in the forthcoming weeks/months i could be asked to do a variety of jobs ie shopping, transporting patients to and from hospitals or delivering medical supplies(in my own vehicle) etc etc etc, reading some of the posts on this thread am i putting the N.H.S. at risk by travelling about maybe for hours each day or should i stay at home. :unsure:
I looked into this last night and told my 2 daughters I was thinking about it. But today they have decided for me that they don’t want me to do it. As they are both on the front line so to speak and say as a family we are doing enough and need me at home staying safe and cooking there teas.
Also may have to start delivering prescriptions as all the part time drivers at chemist are dropping like flies. Can’t blame them. All old and not fit.

62tucker

Site Supporter
There is still, I understand, no definite knowledge about whether a person who has had the virus and recovered is then immune.
Nope but history says they should be. And they putting a lot of hope it’s the same with this.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
From the research I've done over the past week (not Facebook research I hasten to add :) ) it appears that once infected by the virus a person may contract it again but will no longer act as a host for it, ie be able to pass it on. The body's immune system will be better prepared to deal with it a second time, if a second time did/could occur much like we do now with flu (Influenza) and flu-like symptoms

Man Flu excluded of course ;)

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
In Oxford they are currently working on some kind of anti- body collection from patients that have recovered and giving them to patients still with the virus. It is a short term solution until a vaccine can be found if it works. It's all over my head but they are trying everything.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
When you become ill with a virus your body's immune system will create it's own antibodies to fight the invader. The harder your immune system works the greater you will show signs of the illness, ie fever, high temperature, aches, etc, until such time that your anti-bodies defeat the invader.

By giving antibodies from those that have overcome the virus to those suffering from it is basically like giving their bodies a jump start to fight it whilst their body is working to do so also.
The risk is that the recipient's immune system sees the donated antibodies as invasive also.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
My daughter is working on taking samples from healthy volunteer lungs this morning. Then they've got samples from covid positive patients in London.. They're going to add Azithromycin to the samples and see if it reduces the viral load.

Total

Site Supporter
Now as these are 'unprecidented' times do you think AD will give me a refund for the maggots?
Hello mate, Hope your well....(y)

......I had a chat on your behalf on the phone with management at AD...(y)......Their reply...."When the virus situation has settled down and things are back to normal, would you please bring the receipt for said maggots to your local AD and we will put this towards the cost of casting lessons for you......":oops:.....I hope this has answered your enquiry satisfactorily. ;):D

Regards to you all....Be safe pal. (y)

Silverfisher

Yeah I can’t imagine 80% of the population will get it. Hell of a jump from the max hundreds of thousands that might have it now to over 50m if we are all locked up. Could see it reaching maybe 10-20% though the way it’s going.

I guess with the not catching it again they are probably basing it on the fact it tends to be the case with other virus or at least that they are never as bad second time around or as contagious.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
80% is the figure that is expected, such is the severity of this virus

Bear in mind some may get such minor symptoms due to greater immune systems, that they might not know they've had it. Others on the other hand...

rd350lc

Your car insurance will also be invalid - You will need a letter from employer and time sheet, supermarket receipt or evidence of medical appointment.
Before tbe usual - what source stuff starts - my sources are solid.
Sorry but how can someone prove you aren't driving TO a supermarket ?

Bozie

If the accident is bad enough for an ambulance and police the presence of fishing tackle or a dog would suggest otherwise

fredradac

Site Supporter
Another one completely in agreement with Peter.
I have promised the boss (she who must.......) that I will do some indoor painting over the next couple of days but after that I intend to start stock piling hook lengths etc!

Pikerwoods

Site Supporter
I only have to walk 5 yards from back gate to go fishing but as it's a land drain close season applies...aaarrrhhh.

Useless

With the nice weather my thoughts turned to fishing and I’ve popped into MD to see if any restrictions were in place, and I’m absolutely flabbergasted to find that a complete ban has been imposed. Over the last week in an effort to keep fit I’ve been on several Boris sanctioned walks (some along the canal) passing dozens of people along the way, frequented the local supermarket along with lots of other people because my family haven’t got any toilet roll to wipe their backsides with and seen trains and buses crammed with commuters on their way to and from work. Yet I can’t go fishing on my own, on an empty bank with the chance of seeing another human being virtually zero. What a joke!

I’ve read the thread thoroughly and appreciate everyones concerns, and granted, the point about crashing the car and/or having an accident, therefore impinging on valuable NHS resources is something I hadn’t taken into consideration. But come on, you can’t live your life thinking like that. If you’re lucky enough to survive this crisis that level of paranoia is going to seriously mess with your head.

Ultimately the government guidelines were brought in to stop people interacting but they know the importance of exercise which means people are still allowed to mix and frequent certain areas together. You’re allowed to shop, mingle with each other, touch surfaces and exchange money and people are still allowed to travel and work together. Fishing might not be considered an exercise but some of the walks to pegs are quite long and the enjoyment and overall feeling of well being it brings can’t be discounted. More importantly though, as a risk and danger to others going fishing on your own is practically non-existent and as such, given what you are allowed to do, a ban is ridiculous... ‘Imho’ of course.

roachy

To be fair Dave there's an awful lot of people in London with little choice but to use public transport. The number of people working there in what are currently defined as essential services (NHS, food industries, distribution, construction, utilities, police, police support services etc etc) must be in the hundreds of thousands- sure it's over 100000 for NHS alone) and by definition probably a majority of those can't work from home.
Agree its going to be a potential disaster area though.
Was talking this morning to a friend who lives in Boston in the States and she reckons over there could get worse than anywhere, New York especially at the moment, for similar reasons
Out of interest mate, are the government making it compulsory to wear masks while out and about on public transport?

roachy

With the nice weather my thoughts turned to fishing and I’ve popped into MD to see if any restrictions were in place, and I’m absolutely flabbergasted to find that a complete ban has been imposed. Over the last week in an effort to keep fit I’ve been on several Boris sanctioned walks (some along the canal) passing dozens of people along the way, frequented the local supermarket along with lots of other people because my family haven’t got any toilet roll to wipe their backsides with and seen trains and buses crammed with commuters on their way to and from work. Yet I can’t go fishing on my own, on an empty bank with the chance of seeing another human being virtually zero. What a joke!

I’ve read the thread thoroughly and appreciate everyones concerns, and granted, the point about crashing the car and/or having an accident, therefore impinging on valuable NHS resources is something I hadn’t taken into consideration. But come on, you can’t live your life thinking like that. If you’re lucky enough to survive this crisis that level of paranoia is going to seriously mess with your head.

Ultimately the government guidelines were brought in to stop people interacting but they know the importance of exercise which means people are still allowed to mix and frequent certain areas together. You’re allowed to shop, mingle with each other, touch surfaces and exchange money and people are still allowed to travel and work together. Fishing might not be considered an exercise but some of the walks to pegs are quite long and the enjoyment and overall feeling of well being it brings can’t be discounted. More importantly though, as a risk and danger to others going fishing on your own is practically non-existent and as such, given what you are allowed to do, a ban is ridiculous... ‘Imho’ of course.
Really??
Come on mate its a couple of weeks if the majority follow the rules.

So you go fishing because youre on your own, you realise you have no bait and the angling shop is closed, ok off to the supermarket for bread and corn etc, contacts with loads of people unnecessarily.
Your car needs filling up so your off to the petrol station, same scenario, avoidable contact with people.
You get to the fishery, hands all over the lock to the gate if a club fishery.

The next load of whingers decide to follow suit, they are golfers, suddenly they have an excuse to be out unnecessarily too.
Where does it stop? suddenly everybodies hobby turns out to be essential and "doing no harm"
Everybody needs to just ride it out and keep everybody safe instead of paying the price longer term