Starter pole

gmat100

I have been pleasure pole fishing for a few years now with a great Shimano Beaster 850b (8.5m) but am now looking for the next step around the 12 - 13m mark mainly on commercials to get out that little bit further.

I have a budget of around £250 - £350 and have looked at both Drennan Red Range Carp Zone 1250 and Daiwa Power Carp 13m Pole - does anyone have any experience on either of these?

You seem to get more spares with the Drennan for a similar price which leads me to think that the Daiwa may be the better pole? Or at this lower price range are they all pretty much the same?!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gary

rufcuk

Site Supporter
If you don't mind second hand in that price range I would look at map 101 2g maybe even a 201 or preston pro type - spares are more available for these poles than the ones you have mentioned

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Another vote for the MAP 101. You won’t be disappointed.

gmat100

Thanks - yes I don't mind second hand, I will give this one a look - cheers

parkes

Totally agree.....I have used MAP Poles for years. 101 to the 201 but now have well and truly settled on the 501.
You wont be disappointed mate.

karp_katcher

Been in same position as you ,so asked advice on maggotdrowners,be looking for last few weeks.was told to have a look at the matrix mtx 13m power pole.went a looked at one up against other poles of similar price,I found it the best out of four poles,the daiwa power,map 101,middy extreme m3,Preston protype 100.
Managed to get the matrix with three power top kits,1 match top kit plus an extra match top kit make two match top kits plus it also comes with cupping kit and two cups and a mini extension.
I payed £440 with a 15% discount.
Also comes with really good matrix pole hold-all plus tubes.
It’s worth a look if you haven’t looked at one.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I have a Drennan Target Carp 14.5mts used probably a dozen times, no dinks chips or repairs, 6 x top 2 (all fitted with roller side pullers) spare no3 and cupping kit with cups, £275 collected

nico12

Grebe Grabber
Older pole, but the Shimano Technium ( later versions) is a great pole. Stable and strong as an Ox. Also recommend the Garbo Maxim Match 13m came with a few kits etc.
Spares obviously a gamble with older poles as I am sure you are aware.

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
As you have probably gathered mate, there are, obviously, an awful lot of personal preferences here. You would be better to go and have a waggle of a few, without looking at the make and model etc. Find one that suits and then ask if anyone on here has any experience of the pole of your choice.

By the way; welcome to the forum(y)

sampower

Been in same position as you ,so asked advice on maggotdrowners,be looking for last few weeks.was told to have a look at the matrix mtx 13m power pole.went a looked at one up against other poles of similar price,I found it the best out of four poles,the daiwa power,map 101,middy extreme m3,Preston protype 100.
Managed to get the matrix with three power top kits,1 match top kit plus an extra match top kit make two match top kits plus it also comes with cupping kit and two cups and a mini extension.
Where did you find this, second hand or brand new? Sounds good

Dusty Rhodes

Site Supporter
I went into Angling Direct a couple of months ago to look at a MAP 301 but held the matrix MTX of the equivalent price and it felt a much better pole than the MAP in my opinion.

Reuben

Site Supporter
After returning to pole fishing in the last 18mths I kicked off with a 8.5 margin to get the hang of it then got a Map 101 Comp 13mtr & am very pleased with it. It came with 1 match & 2 power kits & a mini extension. I’ve just bought another match top kit for £35. Great pole but now I wish I’d gone for a 14.5mtr. Go as long as you can for what you budget for. Cheers

karp_katcher

Price was new ,bought at angling direct in stoke,forgot to say I had a few loyalty points on my account from a few years ago.

derwentboy

There's nothing wrong with the Daiwa PowerCarp 13m at all. 4 top kits and a dolly butt I got one a couple of years ago and it is great for the money and strong..not heavy. I paid £250 which was money well spent.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Tackle Talk 9
O Fishing Talk 4
M Tackle Talk 5
O Tackle Talk 5
C Polling Booth 3