Specimen perch

Smatticus

Hi there

I am looking for places to target perch 2lbs or greater in Surrey, Sussex and Kent throughout the winter. I am not a member of any clubs yet, and I don’t plan on joining any until the new season, so I am looking for day ticket waters and free stretches of river in these areas. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Silverfisher

They are not areas I’m particularly familiar with but the Thames where I am up around Oxford has plenty of big perch so I’d imagine it’ll be similar down in Surrey as well. I did have a session on the Thames at Chertsey this summer and had plenty off 4-8oz perch which suggests there will be big ones about as well. That said I do find the Thames is a good summer and autumn river rather than particularly good in the winter but you don’t know if you don’t try I suppose.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Kentish stour, The Buelt, Willinghurst fishery, Old Bury Hill, Wylands Farm,... the last 3 are all day ticket

Silver fan 82

Kentish stour, The Buelt, Willinghurst fishery, Old Bury Hill, Wylands Farm,... the last 3 are all day ticket
Does Wylands have big Perch Arry? Never knew that and its only a 15 minute drive away from me.

mbuna_matt

Royal Berkshire (Windsor) has some thumping great perch. Some of the TAF vid's are were done there. Some of the pictures in the cafe suggest they run to 3lb.....

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I was catching them to about 1.5lbs when I went, they are certainly present, but it was a good few years back... give em a Ring... I think it was Rosie's lake I had them from

rudd

You will find big Perch in most commercial waters.
They rarely get caught as most fish for carp and the Perch feed on silvers so rarely get caught on maggots.
Steve Burke of the Perch Fishers advised us to use whitbait/sptatts as a hookbait on these waters.

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Does Wylands have big Perch Arry? Never knew that and its only a 15 minute drive away from me.
Used to have some nice perch in the two ponds as you enter the complex, but I have not fished it for 30 years and it has changed a lot in that time. Used to float fish big lob worms under the bankside trees, had perch to over 2lb

Silver fan 82

Used to have some nice perch in the two ponds as you enter the complex, but I have not fished it for 30 years and it has changed a lot in that time. Used to float fish big lob worms under the bankside trees, had perch to over 2lb
Think I may have to have a day there just for the Perch.

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
When I am next down to Battle visiting my brother I might just get away for a few hours to Wylands. Used to take me the same time as you Silver fan to get there from my home village.

I used to have the Clive Vale AC book, my favourite water being the Military Canal at Winchelsea.

Silver fan 82

When I am next down to Battle visiting my brother I might just get away for a few hours to Wylands. Used to take me the same time as you Silver fan to get there from my home village.

I used to have the Clive Vale AC book, my favourite water being the Military Canal at Winchelsea.
Ive only ever really fished for the carp there before but I understand they have some good silver fish too.
Im a member of Hastings club but am toying with the idea of maybe giving Clive Vale a go. Either way next season I really need to get out more on the canal.

jockmazza

jockmazza

I used to swing tip big lob worms on a Scottish canal. Near lily pads. No bites from tiddlers. Worth a try. groundbait with chopped worm inside balls of dark groundbait. i used to use peat. good luck.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Always a big lobworm or a bunch of smaller worms. They love a moving bait. A gravel pit I sometimes fish. Cast out. 4/5 ft trace. Big lob. Reel in after a few mins if no action. 1 turn. Wait a bit. 2/3 turns wait a bit. Just try different things. Sometimes in clear winter water you can see the smaller perch just following it in.

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Caught my biggest perch on 8mm pellet fishing for carp and 2 over 2lb on sweetcorn fishing for silvers. Appears the small fish went for the baits I was using and the perch were too greedy for their own good!!!