Species from venues you wouldnt expect them

Silverfisher

Talking in the tench v carp about my grandad's Thames tench from medley last year got me thinking about unexpected catches so has anyone here caught anything from somewhere they wouldn't have expected it?

Couple that spring to mind for me are when me and my grandad each had a Rudd out of the Thames at medley about 3-4 years ago after never catching one out of it before or since. The other is when I had a handful of Ruffe out of one of the lakes at cobble acres about 4-5 years ago which just struck me as odd as to why/how Ruffe would end up in what is essentially a commercial fishery.

Over to you guys!

Dusty Rhodes

Site Supporter
Maybe not a surprise from the venues but a surprise considering the tactics.

I had my PB Perch on floatfished double corn whilst fishing for Tench. Also had my PB pike fishing a whip and double maggot for silvers.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Fishing a match on Pelican ponds over in Hull once and caught a Smelt. The ponds themselves are freshwater but, they do say that there is an opening into the humber estuary somewhere and this is how they get in. I didn't try it myself but, apparently they smell like cucumber.

Silverfisher

That's an interesting angle dusty, as it happens every pike I've ever caught (admittedly less than 10) has been on trotted or feeder fished maggots.

A smelt out of a Stillwater now that'll take some beating Mick! I've caught caught a reasonable amount of smelt at sea, funny little things almost like saltwater bleak.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
That's an interesting angle dusty, as it happens every pike I've ever caught (admittedly less than 10) has been on trotted or feeder fished maggots.

A smelt out of a Stillwater now that'll take some beating Mick! I've caught caught a reasonable amount of smelt at sea, funny little things almost like saltwater bleak.
Yea, forum member ' davylad ' who lives over that way has heard of them being caught in Pelican ponds also. I thought it was a one off but, I've seen a few get weighed in in the matches. They must be able to live in both fresh and salt water ?

The Runner

Site Supporter
Going back 20 or more years used to be loads of tench in Medley and also at Donnington and some other areas around Oxford. Back in 1995 came 2nd in an ODAA open with 17 lb of roach from Blackjacks, beaten by someone ( might have been Paul Glenfield) with something like 15 tench from down near the yacht club. Used to always feed a long pole line with a load of chop for them.

On unexpected species, weighed in a single shubunkin on the R Colne at Uxbridge for 1-2

The Runner

Site Supporter
Oh, and once fished an Embassy Pairs qualifier on the Gloucester Canal where the bloke on the next peg had a barbel and a flounder...

Silverfisher

I had heard that tench used to be quite common on the Thames but never knew if it was just exaggerated but sounds like there must have been a fair few. Think the most I've heard of a single angler having out of it since I've fished is probably only 3 with maybe half a dozen across a match. Not sure why it's changed as the fishing for other species has stayed reasonably constant as far as I know.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
a surprising catch on our club water, the royal military canal in kent was a brown trout weighing around 3.5lb, they have never been stocked and it was a mystery how it got in there, let alone got to that impressive size

staying on canals, Im always amazed when I read that Dace of any size are caught in them, being as they are a fish common to the local chalk streams and normally require good clean well areated running water

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Nothing too unexpected but have had Pike on Maggot from my weirpool. I'd expect pike to be there but was pleasantly surprised it has Bream to 6lb too as it's only a small stream. I'd expect Bream to be in a weirpool if anywhere on this small river but did not expect to see big old Bream given the size of the river. Nice surprise when Chub fishing.

Silverfisher

Yeah a canal brownie is a surprise! Wouldn’t think it would survive.

I’ve never caught a canal dace but there are by all accounts a few pockets of them in the oxford canal, I’m sure a few come up directly from the Thames but most probably from the cherwell as it joins with the canal a couple times. They are presumably how all the fish got in the canal originally I guess.

The Runner

Site Supporter
I had heard that tench used to be quite common on the Thames but never knew if it was just exaggerated but sounds like there must have been a fair few. Think the most I've heard of a single angler having out of it since I've fished is probably only 3 with maybe half a dozen across a match. Not sure why it's changed as the fishing for other species has stayed reasonably constant as far as I know.
To be fair, the 15 was exceptional but there were always enough to give the chance of one or two on most swims there.
Same year we fished a National on the Thames and three of my team had single tench in their nets (local knowledge coming in handy); one at Medley , one at Eynsham and less expectedly one at Wallingford

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020.
Site Supporter
I had a Salmon Parr from the Trent at Chilwell in the 70's.

MarkW

I first saw a shoal of tench in the Castle Mill stream on the Willow Walk which splits off Medley at what was Medley Weir (now marked by the Bailey Bridge) in 1969 and as others have stated they were a viable target on Medley in the 90s though I've never caught one. I did get 26 carp in an hour or two at Wolvercote Toll Bridge back in the 80s but later found out that Thames water had put two dustbin loads in the day before right where I was fishing...

I've had rudd from the Wolvercote Mill Stream in the 80s near where St Edwards School keep their boats, on bread punch, and also from the Castle Mill Stream.

Here on the Dorset Stour we get all sorts turning up in our rivers, carp here and there, tench on the upper river that would probably succumb to the approach that finds them on the Thames - I've had two when the river has been up and coloured, rudd in certain places - I had three recently at Sturminster.
On the Frome I've caught or witnessed cucumber smelt, grass carp, herring and rainbow trout.

Dace turned up in a couple of landlocked stillwaters, in one case I never did figure out why it was in there, in the other case it was Weymouth anglers bringing them as livebait from Radipole Lake.

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
I had a Lamprey from the Nidd at Green Hammerton in early 80s fishing for Barbel.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Golden Orfe from small stream weirpool too, almost forgot that.

rudd

Heard of big Roach in the River Deben - below railway bridge weir in the brackish tidal section and mullet in the Gipping.