Sonubaits expander pellets

Greetings and salutations fellow maggot murderers.
I recently purchased some expander pellets. They recommend soaking over night however I seem to be having a few issues with them.
I find if I soak them over night they are too soft to stay on the hook and I miss loads of bites, as in I strike and there's nowt there.
So I started soaking them an hour or so before fishing. They do appear a bit firmer, stay on the hook better and didn't miss so many bites. I drain off the water straight away. However I find that after a couple of hours they've gone very soft again I struggle to keep them on the hook and lose them when casting with a waggler.
I've been using a daiwa powermesh 1.25lb rod. I thought maybe it was too stiff action so changed to my match rod. I found I did hit more bites however the venue I've been fishing is a wild tench venue with weed and snags and I really need to be using the stiffer rod etc
Finally I tried the sonubaits hooker pellets, they are great for staying on the hook and casting however the fish aren't so keen on them compared to the expanders.

Any advice guys? Thanks in advance

IanG1

Site Supporter
I only use them on the pole, I soak overnight in the fridge and never had a problem with them staying on the hook or going to soft during a days fishing . I leave them in a small amount of water. They do come off on the strike sometimes but caught plenty on them. I sometimes have a problem with small fish pecking them causing slight indications but just wait for a positive bite.

I only use them on the pole, I soak overnight in the fridge and never had a problem with them staying on the hook or going to soft during a days fishing . I leave them in a small amount of water. They do come off on the strike sometimes but caught plenty on them. I sometimes have a problem with small fish pecking them causing slight indications but just wait for a positive bite.
I think a lot of my missed bites were smaller fish and I think the frustration is knowing every time I wind in there's no bait on the hook. In turn I then start to panic that perhaps the bait has come off on the cast.

I very really fish pole although I can see that these pellets are perfect for pole fishing.

SteveAmo

I do mine in the fridge overnight and have found using a “quick stop” with a needle ok to hair rig them, as long as you are not casting too far.

I’ve used them to around 30metres ok on a cage feeder rig.

Blanks

Site Supporter
I use the Sonubaits expanders and don't have a problem. On the morning of fishing I tip some into a cleaned out 1pt plastic milk bottle add water and screw the lid back on and that's it. By the time I start fishing 3 hours later they are fine.

I use the Sonubaits expanders and don't have a problem. On the morning of fishing I tip some into a cleaned out 1pt plastic milk bottle add water and screw the lid back on and that's it. By the time I start fishing 3 hours later they are fine.
I think my problem is a mixture of 2 things. 1 I soak mine the night before and 2 I use a stiffer action rod.
Next time out I'm going to soak some before I leave bit just enough to last an hour or so and then I'll soak some more an hour into the session.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I've been using these for the last half dozen or so fishing trips & started off doing really well with them. However, my last three trips have been disastrous when I've arrived at the bankside & the pellets had become too soft & crumbled when I hooked them.
1. My mate told me to pour boiling water on them - disaster, they disintegrated.
2. I soaked them at 6pm the previous night & they were too soft when I arrived at the lake.
3. I soaked them at midnight but they were still too soft.
Finally discovered what I've been doing wrong.....I've been using a maggot box with holes in the lid & air has got in. Just watched a video on preparing them & you're supposed to put them in an AIRTIGHT container. Thinking back to the first couple of times, I used a different bait tub. A guru one designed for pellets.
Stupid pillock

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
I've been using these for the last half dozen or so fishing trips & started off doing really well with them. However, my last three trips have been disastrous when I've arrived at the bankside & the pellets had become too soft & crumbled when I hooked them.
1. My mate told me to pour boiling water on them - disaster, they disintegrated.
2. I soaked them at 6pm the previous night & they were too soft when I arrived at the lake.
3. I soaked them at midnight but they were still too soft.
Finally discovered what I've been doing wrong.....I've been using a maggot box with holes in the lid & air has got in. Just watched a video on preparing them & you're supposed to put them in an AIRTIGHT container. Thinking back to the first couple of times, I used a different bait tub. A guru one designed for pellets.
Stupid pillock
Little plastic food boxes, clip lock 3 for a £1 from Home & Bargain, just the ticket!

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
I use those, they're spot on. Also good for adding flavours/colours.
Pump the pellets until they sink. Place in a small plastic food box and cover with flavouring (I use coconut or red krill), seal the box and place in fridge. After a couple of hours give the box a shake, recover the pellets with flavouring and put back in fridge. Shake often but keep them in the fridge until you use them. After a session I cover the pellets with flavouring and put the box back in the fridge, have had pellets last me three weeks this way.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The Sonubaits pellets mostly sink without the use of the pump at all just wet them with cold water in the morning before you use them to soften them enough for the hook.