Sonubaits Chocolate Orange Wafters

Maverick

Site Supporter
Never had any confidence in wafters but after watching a recent Des Shipp video I thought I would give them one last try on the method feeder.

Purchased a tub of the Sonubaits 8mm Chocolate orange wafters and a pack of the size 16 KKM hooks as used by Des in the video and after trying half a dozen of the wafters on the 16s KKM hook they all float. It appears the hook isn't heavy enough to sink them.

Now Des can't be wrong can he, so what am I doing wrong?

Video here for those that haven't seen it

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Dont know about Sonubaits but Ringers original chocolate orange wafters work perfectly with a size 12 QM 1.

map

The sonubaits ones are availiable in 6, 8 and 10mm. Id assume he was using the 6mm and got tongue tied.
You could always trim a bit off so they just sink.

D

Deleted member 21081

Personally I don’t get the theory of wafters? I want my hookbait in the method amongst the feed, groundbait, pellets or both.

D

Deleted member 21081

As for chocolate orange, can’t imagine fish recognise either of those flavours ........... but anglers do!

Total

Site Supporter
Basically, a near perfectly balanced bait/hook combination.......Been using a similar setup for donkeys years before wafters ever arrived, but it is just another bait/option. (y)

D

Deleted member 21081

Basically, a near perfectly balanced bait/hook combination.......Been using a similar setup for donkeys years before wafters ever arrived, but it is just another bait/option. (y)
There’s a little pile of bait on the lake bed. A fish sucks it in. That’s a regular pellet.
With a wafter I’m concerned it may try to float and hang unnaturally above the feeder?
If you have to put a shot on the hook length what is the point?
I think it’s just a gimmick to sell them?
Or am I missing something?

Total

Site Supporter
There’s a little pile of bait on the lake bed. A fish sucks it in. That’s a regular pellet.
With a wafter I’m concerned it may try to float and hang unnaturally above the feeder?
If you have to put a shot on the hook length what is the point?
I think it’s just a gimmick to sell them?
Or am I missing something?
'Gimmick'...Definitely not. (y)....Probably missing something. :D:giggle:

map

The idea of the wafter is to counter act the weight of the hook. Ideally the weight of the hook should just sink the hookbait. In theory it makes the hook lighter so it's easier for the fish to suck in, it will then get sucked in further giving the hook more chance of grabbing hold. The wafter should sit above the hook which will still be sat in the method/on the bottom.

D

Deleted member 21081

The idea of the wafter is to counter act the weight of the hook. In theory it makes the hook lighter so it's easier for the fish to suck in, it will then sucked in further giving the hook more chance of grabbing hold.
I catch loads of fish on the method, the weight of the hook has never been an issue of concern.
If I have one concern it is the hookbait lying outside of the feed pile. A hookbait with some buoyancy seems more likely to make this happen.
I can see an advantage to wafters if fishing on silt.
But there’s hardly a compelling argument?

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Loading the feeder half way, wafter on that and more feed on top and the wafter is sitting in/ on the feeder, the idea is when a fish sucks on the little pile of feed the first thing that get's sucked up is the wafter as it is critically balanced, most of the time the carp are probably not targeting the wafter but they still get hooked.
Plenty of times you can be fishing a method and and see the tap taps from a fish feeding on the groundbait/pellets then nothing as they do not pick up your pellet hook bait, using a wafter there is more chance of this being sucked in by accident by a carp while it's trying to feed on the other contents of the method.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
So in practice the colour and flavour have nothing to do with it other than appeal to the angler?
The wafter is just a neutral bouyancy particle that can be sucked in by a fish with little effort whilst feeding off a method feeder?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
A wafter when using the feeder will also move more invitingly under water when there are fish in the swim making it more attractive to the fish. Personally, I think it's more of a 'sight' bait, the movement causing the take because of it's neutral buoyancy against a pellet that just sits there.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Critically balanced baits can be good over silt, as can baits that hovver up to the point of being popped up over the method and with a mix that does the same. Good on days where the fish feed just off bottom. A dry and banded expander pellet works just as well on those occasions.

D

Deleted member 21081

So in practice the colour and flavour have nothing to do with it other than appeal to the angler?
The wafter is just a neutral bouyancy particle that can be sucked in by a fish with little effort whilst feeding off a method feeder?
That’s my take on it.

A properly set up method aims to have the fish attacking the entire pile and the hookbait consequently sucked in. In this case colour and flavour have little relevance.

My tendency is towards small hookbaits such as 6mm band ems rather than the larger more colourful baits some choose.

There’s a Jamie Hughes video on YouTube where he demonstrates catching on the method with a bare hook!

Fred Davis

it is debateable if colour or flavouring have nothing to do with the advantage you get to fishing a wafter, the main point is that the hookbait because it is buoyant sits above the hook when a carp sucks the bait in it should in theory always be hooked in the bottom lip, perfect presentation and improved hookholds equals more fish in the net.