Small Shots / Olivette Storage

matiny2k

Two questions :)

I'm starting to see the benefits (at last) of using small shots when presenting rigs, however, is there an easier way of putting them on the line other than sitting outside in nice bright conditions and biting them on the line ? How do you get these 10's and 11's on more easily ?

Also, as a matter of interest, I buy Drennan lock and slide olivettes in packets but seem to have packets everywhere now. Is it best to put them in a plastic container with loads of compartments and allocate a different size olivette to each compartment (just housekeeping I know - not the end of the world).

Mat

ukzero1

Gorrenny spare tackle for mi maggits Mister?
Site Supporter
I just open the shot a little wider and give a tight squeeze when on the line. I do mine indoors with just a 40 watt bulb for light.

jay67

Site Supporter
i use flat nosed pliers ( theres an alan scotthorne vid ) , also bought a magnifier .

lp1886

I put stotz on with ordinary tweezers, have done for over 10 years without any problems. The Drennan Olivettes come in little plastic boxes.

jasonb

Drennan olivettes now come in plastic packets, but recently I bought some Preston Olivettes which come in decent plastic boxes

dumdum

Site Supporter
I use stotta pliers for shot, jewellers pliers are just as good, also I find using a decently consistently cut shot is a massive help!

Grey stotz style tub Preston stuff was good at one time, but I bought some that was perhaps 75% of the depth of cut of previous stuff... it pinged off very well, swapped to guru shot and no more issues 😊

I prefer shot on spaced out rigs as stotz move far too easy, but do often finish a string bulk with a stotz just above the last shot to pin the float down, easier to remove and swap if I need to, whereas shot suck for that... I also use stotz for backshot 😊

DFL

What you need are Myran fly boxes, exceptionally well made, crystal clear, snap shut securely and most importantly small items can’t migrate between compartments when shaken about. They aren’t cheap but I can’t recommend them highly enough.

Myran Fly box - Salar Flies

George Sumsion

Site Supporter
putting small shot on for me is get the line in the slot on my index finger, make sure the line is tightened and then use the stotz plier thingy. Years ago it was done with my teeth but that method doesnt work anymore :( As for keeping your olivettes boxed the world is your oyster (y)

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
Map lock and slide Olivettes also come in little boxes.
Stotz and stotta for me.
I keep small tackle items in a wilko tool box made of clear plastic. Cheap and does the job.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Since using Stotz I have no problem putting 13s or larger on whether at home or on the bank. Just lay one on a wetted fingertip then lay the line in the groove and bite on.

Oldmech

I have the original Image Styl pinchers which are great for Stotz type weights and a 13 poses no problems on 0.16 line, still use shot a bit in winter and just use flat nosed pliers.