Small Baitrunner Carp Attack freespin30 Reel

BrewnFish

Hi Folks, just joined the forum, wanted to say hello to folks. .... looks a great place to learn more.

Would value advice on folk who have used the Carp Attack Freespin30 small baitrunner reel .. looking at sourcing one on ebay.

The places I fish tend to have Carp generally up to 15lb, so a small baitrunner may work well. I have the larger reels, Shimano 8000GTE, but tend to like a lighter setup. Also thinking on Shimano DL2500 Baby Bait-runner.

I currently use Shimano Exage reels 4000RCDH ..really like the fighting drag.

Advice welcomed, best wishes,

BrewnFish

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@BrewnFish

Hi there and welcome. :upthumb:

I had the Carp Attack and to be honest, I binned it after 2 weeks and bought an Okuma. The Carp Attack doesn't handle pressure too well and the drag system isn't too good. If I was to recommend a small bait runner at a good price, it would have to be the Okuma Barbarian. It will handle those fish and is a well balanced reel fore the money. It's available in the 30 size that you're looking for.

Scroll down to the bottom and see what you get for the price...

BrewnFish

Advice appreciated ukzero1 ... am thinking a 30 series would be light but powerful enough. ... will give the Carp Attack a miss, big ty, BrewnFish.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
If you go for the Okuma, you won't regret it. The carp attack I binned was bad when it came to something that fights a bit. The spool went all sloppy.

Dusty Rhodes

Site Supporter
Hi Folks, just joined the forum, wanted to say hello to folks. .... looks a great place to learn more.

Would value advice on folk who have used the Carp Attack Freespin30 small baitrunner reel .. looking at sourcing one on ebay.

The places I fish tend to have Carp generally up to 15lb, so a small baitrunner may work well. I have the larger reels, Shimano 8000GTE, but tend to like a lighter setup. Also thinking on Shimano DL2500 Baby Bait-runner.

I currently use Shimano Exage reels 4000RCDH ..really like the fighting drag.

Advice welcomed, best wishes,

BrewnFish
If you aren’t casting far or chucking big weights I would go with the baby Shimanos. Nearly all my reels are Shimanos and I wouldn’t swap them for anything.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
If you aren’t casting far or chucking big weights I would go with the baby Shimanos. Nearly all my reels are Shimanos and I wouldn’t swap them for anything.
So are mine mate, but if you're on a budget and want a reel that's reliable, then the Okuma Barbarian fits the bill.

BrewnFish

Thanks for the reply Dusty ... I do like Shimano Reels .... but do t have a baby baitrunner yet ... umming and ahrring over the front vs rear drag oprions ... was considering the DL2500. along with the Okuma.

I usually only use 1oz in line leads, and don't need to cast long, so shallow reels are ok too ...

Which of the baby baitrunners would you recommend ?

Best wishes, Brewnfish

Dusty Rhodes

Site Supporter
Thanks for the reply Dusty ... I do like Shimano Reels .... but do t have a baby baitrunner yet ... umming and ahrring over the front vs rear drag oprions ... was considering the DL2500. along with the Okuma.

I usually only use 1oz in line leads, and don't need to cast long, so shallow reels are ok too ...

Which of the baby baitrunners would you recommend ?

Best wishes, Brewnfish
I have the DL4000 and they are outstanding. I use them for method feeder work on commercials mainly and also on the rivers for barbel.
They are probably a bit big for commercial fishing. 2500 would be perfect.

Edit - mine are front drag.

corkycat

Welcome chap. I joined this forum two years or so ago, and it is a great place to pick up tips and advice. As a purely pleasure "no mates" angler, I rarely interact with other other fishermen but I've learned more on this site regarding tackle, venues, tactics, you name it, than in the previous 30 years. You know the type of things I mean; the "Why didn't I think of that before" moments.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
umming and ahrring over the front vs rear drag oprions ...
Most,if not all, small baitrunner/freespool reels will be rear drag. The best of the bunch would be the Shimano, but for a better deal I would go for this.
I had a couple, and for the money they are very good, spare spool (1 very shallow though) single and double handles, and this one in the link has some maxima line thrown in, though there are some cheaper if you don't want the line.

BrewnFish

Cheers Corky and TrickyD, advice always appreciated 👊

My thinking is coming back to Okuma, either the Barbarian or the Carbonite 1 Baitfeeder 140, on Amazon for £22.70 with free delivery and a spare spool ... the Daiwa Regal 2500 reels also worth considering. ... part of the fun, working out the kit

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Always been a fan of Okuma and the Epix's have been a great range of reels.
Good enough for Martin Bowler so more than good enough for me 👍 .

rd350lc

Just to throw a bit more confusion at you , a lot of anglers slacken the clutch off when the rod is in the rest then when you get a bite and lean into the fish tighten the clutch up , no need for a baitrunner in that case . I would look at the Daiwa ninjas or similar if you can stretch a bit more on budget. Had okuma reels in the past and they are ok but won't last as long as a mid range Daiwa .

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
I personally use a Shimano 5010 as a small bait runner and find it second to none. I have caught carp to over 20lb using them and have landed them with no trouble at all, either with the rear drag, free spool, or any thing else.
In my opinion the one to go for, I sold one to a mate a while ago and regret it that much that I'm going to replace it with similar.

BrewnFish

Many thanks for all posts ... have bought the Okuma CBF 140a, with spare spool and line (although will change the line), £19 all in with free delivery item being new ... will let you know how it goes ... didn’t want to spend a lot on this one ... tight lines folks 👍👊🍺