Slider floats

sjmclean

Interesting a lot of you guys are saying unloaded floats but having watched some videos (Scotthorne in particular) says it's imperative to have a load on the float to keep it against the bulk when casting. I'd always been told to use a loaded float as well.

I'm going to order some Drake floats.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
You always use a partly loaded slider so the float remains on or very near the bulk shot for casting ...if the float has no weight in it the float will be pushed up the line when casting any distance reducing accuracy and overall distance plus more likely to tangle...the Drake floats are based on the original design used by Ian Heaps to win the world championships.
Add some lead wire to any unloaded floats and watch how much better they behave casting.

Kirtons

Site Supporter
If you already have large bodied unloaded wagglers try wrapping a few coils of solder wire up the base to give it some loading for casting. As loaded sliders from websites are expensive!

chubby chubber

Site Supporter
what type of rods do you fellas prefer for the slider ive a local stretch of river where this could work a treat with anything from 8ft to 22ft in places but not pacey what length would you need as its not that wide maybe 55 /60 mtrs in places cheers for any advice

stickfloatkev

any 13ft power float rod will do the job as long as theres a bit of backbone in the middle section

dave brittain 1

A standard match rod will do, just cast smoothly and the float will sail out. I used to use an original Shimano Diaflash when I did a lot of slider fishing. Possibly one of the softest and finest float rods made.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I used to use a power waggler (Korum 3G) for slider float work but that was a while ago now and I no longer fish that method.

richox12

You always use a partly loaded slider so the float remains on or very near the bulk shot for casting ...if the float has no weight in it the float will be pushed up the line when casting any distance reducing accuracy and overall distance ...
Exactly that. Unloaded get 'blown' back up the line. It doesn't need much loading but about 25% or so makes a HUGE difference when casting.

Trailblazer

Account Locked
When slider fishing, it always bothered me when I cast out and I could hear the stop knot crashing through the small guides on my match/ float rod. I could imagine it knocking one of the liners out of the guides as it passed through them!
Next time I slider float fish i'll use an avon rod which has much larger eyes for the knot to pass through....just to make me feel better lol.

dave brittain 1

Trailblazer. Fish 3lb maxima and tie the slider knot using 3lb maxima. The key is to leave the tags 2.5ins long so they fold as they pass through the rings. I've never had problems with a correctly tied knot slipping, ( 4-5 turns).

Trailblazer

Account Locked
Interesting a lot of you guys are saying unloaded floats but having watched some videos (Scotthorne in particular) says it's imperative to have a load on the float to keep it against the bulk when casting. I'd always been told to use a loaded float as well.

I'm going to order some Drake floats.
Trailblazer. Fish 3lb maxima and tie the slider knot using 3lb maxima. The key is to leave the tags 2.5ins long so they fold as they pass through the rings. I've never had problems with a correctly tied knot slipping, ( 4-5 turns).
Dave, it's not the knot slipping bud, I just fear for the guide linings when I hear the knot pass through them. As you say, I always leave the tags a good inch long. I more often than not use 6lb mainline and use a piece of it to make the the stop knot.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
6lb is really heavy for slider fishing ...is there a reason you need to fish that heavy ?

Trailblazer

Account Locked
6lb is really heavy for slider fishing ...is there a reason you need to fish that heavy ?

I didn't think 6lb was a heavy line for slider fishing? I've never had a problem with it, just hate the knot rattling through tight guides incase the liners are damaged is all.

The water i'm thinking about that I last slider fished is fringed by a deep thick mass of reeds which the tench always bo.t for, especially when you get them closer in. The 6lb line gives me that extra pulling power to prevent them getting into the reeds, and it gives me a chance of dragging them out should they get in the reed beds.

Trailblazer

Account Locked
Use thinner line to tie the stop knot
Rich, i've actually done that, I think it was 4lb I used. I suppose I could try 3lb.
I'd have to try it out before going fishing to make sure the thinner line doesn't go through the floats eye.....i'll give it a go :).