Slider floats

sjmclean

Going to try up my slider fishing game over the summer.

Aside from the Cralusso floats what other sliders to people recommend?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Dave Harrel was an excellent slider float angler...pretty good with the stick float too.

As for makes of sliders, the one that sticks out for me is the Premier range.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I bought a dozen or so of the Ian Heaps purple bodied Drake floats same as Grey says above as they were spot on for the venues where I used the slider mostly,other than them I have a few Italian ones in bigger sizes for more extreme conditions that are similar but with adjustable loading which is not really necessary in most circumstances.

sjmclean

I'll have a read, done a fair bit of this style just want to get better. Need to find some floats I like.

dave brittain 1

It's amazing what old posts get dug up :) Best advice is keep it simple and as per the article Emma has highlighted, using a minimally loaded float. It's a great method on the right venue.

I found one of my old sliders to show how simple the floats are. As you can see this one has had a lot of use and won it's fair share of money on the Yorkshire Ouse, River Tees and also featured in an article I did for Match Fishing on the Bristol Avon. As stated loading should be minimal, too many shop bought floats have far too much loading. The float should also rest on the ollivette when cast and both should stay together through the air when cast.

Attachments

sjmclean

It's amazing what old posts get dug up :) Best advice is keep it simple and as per the article Emma has highlighted, using a minimally loaded float. It's a great method on the right venue.

I found one of my old sliders to show how simple the floats are. As you can see this one has had a lot of use and won it's fair share of money on the Yorkshire Ouse, River Tees and also featured in an article I did for Match Fishing on the Bristol Avon. As stated loading should be minimal, too many shop bought floats have far too much loading. The float should also rest on the ollivette when cast and both should stay together through the air when cast.
Hi Dave thanks for the reply. I've watched the Alan Scotthorne video now and I'm fairly confident with the method, it's the small things I want to work out like getting better at feeding etc.

What brand of float do you recommend, I don't really want to be paying 6 or 7 quid a float.

SteveAmo

I’d defo recommend the range of Drake slider floats as others have already pointed out.

Fortunately for me a couple of local shops in Potteries stock these, other than that try Benwick Sports or Ian’s Tackle in Penkridge via mail order/internet.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Amo
👍😉🦆🎣😂

rudd

The slider principle can also with straight wagglers when fishing deep but close.
Was using 4aaa straight waggler on Friday and underarm casting it.

nejohn

I make my own sliders, pretty simple to do buy pre shaped balsa bodies and peacock quill you can then vary the length of antenna to suit yourself, I used to fish a venue that had really bad surface tow so I made some sliders with a really long antenna of about 18 inches have them slightly loaded just enough to start the cocking process, best tip I ever got for fishing the slider was use 2 stop knots one against the other stops the knot slipping

Minno

Exner Carbon Magic’s are the best sliders I’ve used.

The body of the float has a plastic coating on it so when it’s knocking against the bulk, the paint won’t crack.

I’ve had the same slider rig set up for nearly 2 years now and the float is as good as new.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Don't get hung-up on slider floats being something special
They're basically just a large unloaded waggler - the best ones I used were a couple of large bodied wagglers in the old Drennan range that took about four swan (we weren't posh enough to use olivettes ;))

You don't even need an especially small eye at the base of the float - just slip a bead on the line first.
John's tip regarding the two stop-knots is something I always do - probably because my knot tying capabilities are not perhaps as good as they should be :p

Simon