Slider float

Fartacus

Anyone fish the slider float??

I've fished the polaris for a few years and now started to fish the slider and I think the slider is a better option,
because you can get bites on the drop in the last few feet.

The only thing that is a matter of opinion is loaded or not I've had success with both, I tend to use unloaded
at closer distances and loaded a bit further out.

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Yep, I use the slider on my local river, always unloaded though so you can get more weight low down to help with the cocking

PP123

Yes I’ve fished it quite a bit over the years. On lakes I always use partially loaded floats, they cast better in conjunction with the bulk shot.

Ian Heaps recommded this on one of his roadshows, prob 25 years ago, I was 14 at the time.

PP123

Unloaded on rivers, but with two eyes; one top one bottom.

Ultra used to make nice ones.

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
Yes I’ve fished it quite a bit over the years. On lakes I always use partially loaded floats, they cast better in conjunction with the bulk shot.

Ian Heaps recommended this on one of his roadshows, prob 25 years ago, I was 14 at the time.
Ian was a great slider angler, he learned most of it from his dad. I tend to use loaded floats if it is a big chuck, say more than 30 yard; any shorter and I would always go unloaded. With a loaded float there is a greater chance of 'cracking off' on the strike.

jay67

Site Supporter
i tried unloaded for longer chucks , they seemed to be more prone to tangles . maybe a loaded float is better balanced .

SteveAmo

Try the range of Drake sliders or Kev Leach’s version from DJK Tackle.

I prefer the part loaded versions for the venues I fish.

Ian Heaps slider video is available on You Tube it sets the standard for slider Fishing, still brilliant viewing . I’ve still got some of his sliders I bought at Chatsworth Angling years ago, he was the master at this method.

You can get both of the above floats online from the likes of Benwick Sports or Kev’s own website.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Amo

Ivan heaphurst

I like fishing the slider but the modern float rod has such small eyes on the top length that a stop knot will not fit through. I solved the problem, to a point by buying a 15ft rod.

PP123

Which knot are you using, and how short are you cutting the tags?

Nicky Dodds

Semi-loaded sliders are better for longer casts as they sit on top of the bulk shot better making the whole rig more compact.

Dslayer

dslayer
I like fishing the slider but the modern float rod has such small eyes on the top length that a stop knot will not fit through. I solved the problem, to a point by buying a 15ft rod.
I solve the problem by changing all the rings on all the match/float rods I buy before I even use them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Fishing Talk 26
B Fishing Talk 6
N Tackle Talk 21
T Fishing Talk 4
P Fishing Talk 6