Slider fishing

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020.
Site Supporter
Line wise I use 4lb Maxima for most of the fishing I do on the slider, I never have a problem with line wear but I just use ordinary bodied waggler with a standard size eye and put a small plastic bead between the float and the stop knot, I also always use 2 stop knots one directly above the other to avoid the stop knot moving also don't trim your knot ends to short as they will not go through the rod rings as easily. Use a float with enough bulk shot to get through the water and down to depth quickly and don't close the bail arm until the float settles correctly then tighten up and sink the line, I then open my bail arm again for a second to let the float settle again
Exactly(y) Love the idea of a plastic bead between stop knot and float (why I never thought of that I don't know:asshole2:). I also like the idea of 2 stop knots. The best advice you have given, however, IMHO is to not trim the ends too short, I have seen loads of people, over the years, struggle to cast because their stop knots are lovely and neat with tag ends cut really short.

davylad

Site Supporter
Crikey, not fished a slider for years. I dont know whether I still have the bodied wags with the small eyes now. Thats a blast from the past. Enjoyable when you get it right though. Does anyone still make slider floats nowadays ?
I don't bother making them any more, as no need for them Mike, I should have shown you some I made for Ireland many years ago. I'll send you a pic when I get round to it.

rudd

I fish the slider for most species including Carp and Tench.
Also use two stop knots and plastic bead then a drennan silicon waggler connector with the metal swivel in it.
Line wise, Daiwa sensor 4lb and up to 7lb. The thicker diameter helps keep things straight and when slider fishing everything needs to be straight to stop tangles.
The cast needs to be smooth and straight in front of you past where fishing, then as slider hits water jam the line down so bulk shot then droppers land in a straight line, dip rod under water, reel to fishing area ( sinks line),
open bail arm and line will come off spool nicely.
Once it stops close bail arm and your off.
Now the fundamental rules:
Bulk shot need to be straight with cut on shot all the same way.
Droppers no smaller than a size four unless using small insert sliders of 3AAA.
No more than three droppers (or dropper positions - I may double up droppers). Try and get slits Facing same as bulk slits.
Put on hooklength, put on lowest dropper, nip dropper and bring hook round and above dropper, add second dropler 1cm above this point, nip second dropper and bring first dropper up, add third dropper 1cm above this point, nip third dropper bring up and add your bottom bulk shot about 2cm above point.
Add rest of bulk above bottom bulk shot, the 2cm give space for small sized trimming shot once plumbed up.
DO NOT use a float resting shot above bulk - float should rest on it.
The float, I use 3AAA straight peacock inserts up to 6SSG bodied.
Any bodied of 3SSG and above have a small amount of lead wiring around the base as these are for longer casting, the lead around float base holds float and bulk shot together during cast.
Floats under 3SSG are used for short casting so do not need to be loaded plus you need most of the floats capacity as bulk for method to work.
Bulk shot, using 4ssg as an example. I will use 1ssg at top of bulk, 1ssg under it, 1aaa, 1aaa, 1bb then any trimming shot - I have found as you jam line this tapered bulk acts as a nice stiff pivot acting as a fulcrum so droppers and hook flip over it into a nice straight line.
Last rule, I do not use a swivel to attach hooklength as small swivels will not show indication on a big slider tip and because I want that joint between hooklenght and main line to be as stiff as possible to prevent tangles.

Plumbing - good luck trying to cast a plummet with a slider set up!
I set up float as above with first stop knot near float so I can get trim spot on.
Once float is set I then slide stop knots to estimated depth, cast out and watch float.
If bottom dropper is on bottom there will be too much tip showing, if float cocks and settles I then look for drift.
Sometimes all droppers slid down to form second bulk acting as a plummet.
Once you know depth subtract hooklengh length by moving slider knot one back down line and using knots one and two as a measure, once haply slide knot two down to knot one.
Reposition droppers if you have moved them.

If tow drags float increase depth to drag bait OR put on a 1ssg heavier float and add 1ssg to TOP of bulk shot.
Some days I have had to use 6ssg and fish two to three feet overdepth to keep bait static.

Bites - count down tip after bulk settles, on the drop IE over count down - strike, droppers are being held up.
Most bites are sailaways but you will also get lift bites.
The slider is a very positive method and I have caught tiny pairs of eyes on bread punch to double figure carp using it.
It just takes practice, confidence and following the rules to stop tangles - which you will still get on occasion.

Feeding - species specific but its a bottom bait method so you dont want target species up in water.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
One thing I will take away from those vids is to use a fluoro carbon bottom when using a slider. I think that's a very good idea. The ever so slightly stiffened line should help save some tangles. Slider fishing by its very nature is prone to tangling if you miss feathering the float just before it hits the water.

Has anyone had much success slider fishing for carp? I'm asking for a mate of mine, he hates fishing long pole on deep lakes for carp/f1s, he had a couple trys with not much joy, what's the best line too use? He says his line roughs up quick? I cant help him because I haven't done this style of fishing to be honest so any advice would be much appreciated, cheers 👍
Used to fish slider on the Weaver any years ago very active way to fish, but get it right and bingo ! Big bag of fish including carp just fishing maggot

rudd

One thing I will take away from those vids is to use a fluoro carbon bottom when using a slider. I think that's a very good idea. The ever so slightly stiffened line should help save some tangles. Slider fishing by its very nature is prone to tangling if you miss feathering the float just before it hits the water.
I agree, learnt something from the lads video.
Tried leadcore and plastic tube from wd40etc. under bulk to make a boom.

SteveAmo

Have a watch of this Cadence Video with Steve Whitfield Fishing the slider, he uses a carbon pole float stem to kick the hook length away from the bulk shot!

Brilliant idea and it works so well no tangles at all.

SteveAmo

This other Cadence video by James Robbins on Sliding Fishing is well worth a watch too.

Very informative.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Fishing Talk 11
J Fishing Talk 25
D Fishing Talk 26
H Fishing Talk 12
B Fishing Talk 6