slider bolo fishing

jasonb

Site Supporter

PP123

I used to fish top and bottom end sliders on the Yorkshire Derwent, mine were made by Ultra.

Keep it as simple as possible, you look like you’re halfway there with that choice of tackle. A bulk 3/4/5ft from the hook with droppers is all you need. Spend plenty of time running it through un baited so you understand the depth and any snags.

A bait dropper is easy to use, and very useful for getting feed on the bottom in the right place in deep flowing water.

I can’t comment on those float stop knots.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
I've not slider fished a river yet @jasonb but you might find this video useful of Alan Scotthorne Slider Fishing a lake for skimmers.
That slider bolo float looks the business though(y)

jasonb

Site Supporter
I plan to take some time off work soon to give it a go....like you say need to keep it simple and tidy and hopefully it will improve the catch rate

dandan2000

If you do use the sensas ones, make sure you use two together as they have a habit of sliding around. (No pun intended)

jasonb

Site Supporter
Out of interest if anyone done this type of fishing...what happens when you start holding the float back in the current? Does it start lifting the bait off the bottom and stop knot away from the float ?

rudd

Out of interest if anyone done this type of fishing...what happens when you start holding the float back in the current? Does it start lifting the bait off the bottom and stop knot away from the float ?
No the float should stay put- you would think it would move but you are holding a fixed amount of line with a bulk shot at other end.
The bait should rise due to flow when holding back and tge bulk should pull line taught to float which is then held against stop knot.
Hope that makes sense.

dandan2000

It all depends on the weight of the bulk your using and the amount of flow through the peg. Also don’t forget that the deeper water below As a rule flows much slower than the upper layers. The float should sit against the knots. Dependant on the weight of the bulk the bait will rise at varying speeds, but that also depends if your tripping the bottom, laying on or letting the float glide through.