Simple paste best recipe.

Rick123

Guys, I've a load of pellets I want to make into a paste. I'm going to grind them up, want to know what is the best way to make paste. Is it with water only, or should I add something else to keep it form getting too hard?
I've a choice of pellets from fish meal, carp, or oil or little oil, it's for winter Chub, and help welcome.

Rich.

Paul22

You can grind the pellets up and they will keep in a plastic bag until required then simply mix with water. You can add flavours if you want and colours.
Or you can add water to the pellets leave to soak over night and hey presto ! They break down and turn to paste.
Of course a little practice is required to get the consistency how you require it 👍

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Not on running water but on still , using any micro pellet 2mm . Use a 1 pint Drennan bait box level of pellets put into a zip seal bag and add 2 level caps from a babies bottle, the measuring one, of maize meal, to this add 1/2 an hour before you actually want to use it 1 1/2 Dynamite flavour bottles of water. You can add any flavour , colour or oil you wish. Mix the powder thoroughly then add the fluids mix well and lay down, turn and mix after 1/4 hour then leave. It makes a firm mix that can be softly cast. You can carry a few dry bags in the car to use as required.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hi Rick.

When someone says ..... Paste for chub winter or otherwise I always think of the good days I've had on the river Swale at Cundal lodge using cheese paste. Will the chub you are trying to catch not just take cheese ? Save your pellets for another day perhaps ?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Grind any pellets and they will make a paste adding egg used to be popular as it binds better or add Wheat Gluten and a hand full of Porridge oats to pellets and water and you have fibre paste that sticks like nothing else you can even hair rig it on a ledger stop and chuck it 50 yards if necessary.

Rick123

Bless you all. I have far too many pellets and not enough Cheese. I will try the Carp ones and add a flavour like prawn maybe. Thanks all again.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I just put pellet through a blender to get a fine dust, then add/mix with egg to bind it. No other additives or flavours and it works well. You can mix it to your own preference, soft or stiff.

Total

Site Supporter
@Rick123 .......I've always found when adding an egg to the ground pellets and mixed together it's fine if you want to use the paste on the day etc, but any left over can't be used again (even after it's frozen) because the egg in the mix tends to go off.

If you mix your pellet powder with something like 'Angel Delight ' (butterscotch flavour is a particular favourite of mine) or Sainbury's do their own equivalent;

Sainsbury's - Butterscotch flavour whip

They also do other flavours; Pay between .35 to .45p/packet. The resultant mix binds together nicely to form a very usable paste that can be used on the pole or if mixed together stiffer for ledgering purposes.

Mix the dry ingredients together (300grams) and add water to achieve your desired constituency ( or mixed on the stiff side, and add water on the bank side to change the mix stiffness for your requirements on the day). Any left over can be put back in the freezer and used at a later date.(y)

Last edited:

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
If its on a river where they see a lot of pellet, then should be fine:
3oz soya flour
3oz semolina powder
6oz of your ground pellet powder
6oz of ground cat biscuits (liver are good)
Tea spoon of marmite
4 beaten eggs
Plus any liquid flavourings you might want to include.

Mix the dry ingredients thoroughly.
Beat the eggs and whisk in the/any wet ingredients to eggs.

Add the dry ingredients to the egg mix slowly and bring together to form a paste.

It makes a good paste and also if you want to roll any of it into boilies and boil for 2 and a half mins, it makes good boilies too.(y)

Rick123

I'm going to try a krill flavour paste, just need to know how to make one from my pellets? These are carp pellets so have little flavour of any kind, but fishmeal based. Any thoughts I'd be grateful, thanks again.

Rich.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Krill powder should work, but be careful you don't overdo all the flavourings, pellets alone that may not smell much does still work in a paste. If you are going to include krill powder then do so at the expense of the pellet powder and not the other dry ingredients that help the mix to bind.

It pays to play around with flavours and also give baits fair trial by the same token and basing some of the above on Barbel fishing, its interesting that certain flavours are preferred or not favoured by the fish in varying rivers.